What would happen if the DR defaulted on it's Debt

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Was it Argintina that already defaulted? It seems that it is the nature of the beast that the IMF should be the pusher and the Third world govenment should be the Junkie. This story has been played out in so many countries. Fiscal responsibility is only implemented by the IMF & World bank, after the government has squandered any credit it has and is now on IMF/World_Bank life support. The country ends up living it's life out servicing debt. And forign powers only intervien in the event of revolution to ensure who ever takes power pledges to honor and service the dept, that person be deposed by another coup.

I guess the question is, how could defaulting on the debt come back to haunt the DR. One other thought, what about a constitutional ammendment that states, that the govenment may not spend more than it has, and may not use the sale of title to natural resources to service annual buget needs unless by a 3/4s majority? If I remember correctly the DR government sells fishing rights off the coast to Japan or other east asian countries for hard cash.

-Lee

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will know within a few months!!!

So instead of trying to answer your own question,just sit tight and you will soon see!cccccccccccccccccccccc

Guillermo P?rez

Feb 13, 2004
Well Argentina basicly just said ok... we have the money... we're straightening this out... now sucker you want me to pay?... let's talk.

Out here this won't be possible because we are not a self sufficient country... if we do that we have no food... no fuel... no goods... nothing... and whatever goverment that does that knows for sure they'd be out... and you know that NO DOMINICAN GOVERMENT WILL EVER want that.

So, no that won't happen... as before... restrictions can get to be downright cruel... but spending WILL be cut down... payments will be made.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
In general isn't the DR self Sufficient in food production.

This brings up a question, is it generally understood that the DR is not self sufficient in food production? To be honest, I thought the DR pretty much produces all it's own food.

-Lee