Bracelets??

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
First time to the DR and first time to an AI.
I was wondering about these bracelets Ive read about in the AI's. Is this the way they mark you as a guest? And what does it cost to put them back on when you take them off??

I am leaving to the DR friday with my wife. and we are more adventurers than resort goers/stayers. But the deal we got was cheep 700 US a person with air so we grabed it. Thinking okie a hotel with air and if we can get a few drinks and a meal or 2 great!!

Now ive been reading and am wondering about these dam tags they will make you wear. I can't even wear a WATCH for over a day without taking it off!!

What about traveling to the towns and such?? I dont want to be mixing and traveling about with a tag that looks like im an endangered creature or somthing being monitored by a game warden!!

What does it cost to get it put back on after your day out? Is it true you HAVE to wear it?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The tags are issued so that the hotel can be sure that meals and drinks aren't served to nonguests.

Most hotels use a plastic bracelet that looks like it can't be easily taken off and put back on. Sosua Bay Club and its sister hotel in Cabarete use a bracelet that is tied on. I noticed that when my brother and his family visited that they were able to slip the bracelet on and off.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Bracelets rule

the Bracelets is your ID to get in to the Hotel that you are staying at wich one in case some thing happen put side the Hotel any person can know where are you staying. Not wearing the bracelet is not good idea must of the security guys are going to give you hard time for that, I do understand your point but some hotels will charge you around 50US for each time that you replace it, the best thing is talk to the recepcionist to put you the Bracelet "wide" that you can take it off any time you want but inside the Hotel they will require you wear it.

The 95% of all inclusive hotel guest need to wear it. But some local Hotel you don't need it.

Homer Simpson

Tonynocker said:
First time to the DR and first time to an AI.
I was wondering about these bracelets Ive read about in the AI's. Is this the way they mark you as a guest? And what does it cost to put them back on when you take them off??

I am leaving to the DR friday with my wife. and we are more adventurers than resort goers/stayers. But the deal we got was cheep 700 US a person with air so we grabed it. Thinking okie a hotel with air and if we can get a few drinks and a meal or 2 great!!

Now ive been reading and am wondering about these dam tags they will make you wear. I can't even wear a WATCH for over a day without taking it off!!

What about traveling to the towns and such?? I dont want to be mixing and traveling about with a tag that looks like im an endangered creature or somthing being monitored by a game warden!!

What does it cost to get it put back on after your day out? Is it true you HAVE to wear it?

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for the info.. will be going for the "very loose" fit. I dont think I could sleep with somingthing on my arm making me crazy.

Also is there a differance in taking cash or travelers chk's?? would I get the same exchange rate with both??

Thanks again, this sight has been wonderful and the the best DR info I have found on the net. Posativly brilant !!

Thanks again

Tony

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Same Rate

Tonynocker said:
Thanks for the info.. will be going for the "very loose" fit. I dont think I could sleep with somingthing on my arm making me crazy.

Also is there a differance in taking cash or travelers chk's?? would I get the same exchange rate with both??

Thanks again, this sight has been wonderful and the the best DR info I have found on the net. Posativly brilant !!

Thanks again
Tony

Cash and T/C's by and large are the same. What you need to do though is not cash them in the AI resort - go out to the town and find a cambio. AI resort cambios are notorious for really poor rates for guests. Take a copy of your passport ( colour preferably) as ID (for the cambio), don't carry your passport into town - too risky to lose it.

As for the opinion of "locals" that dependson the town, but in Boca Chica the Hamacadamia nuts and other AI guests tend to act timidly and walk in clusters and are often far too overdressed that you don't need to see the breacelet to know they are sneaking out of the AI's. I think this is in response to a lecture on arrival that intimates or outright says it is too dangerous to leave the resort which is just silly.

So just act cool and see the sights - far more intersting outside the walls than within them for the most part. I would suspect were you to bargain or haggle for items in shops you'll do a bit better if not clearly an AI guest.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
That's funny...

Tonynocker said:
I dont want to be mixing and traveling about with a tag that looks like im an endangered creature
...and if you look to your left you will see the Common Tourist, also known as Phoni Gringus. Notice its beautiful plummage. Please, do not get too close as they are easily spooked. Now, moving on to...

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
What does it cost to get it put back on after your day out? Is it true you HAVE to wear it?[/QUOTE]

I cut mine off last trip I do not wear a watch either, why bother everyone else has one , toured around the north coast for four days without looking like a captive and was never even asked for it at buffet, beach, bar or any other time during our two week stay. My Wife totally advised Me against doing this and just to prove nobody really cares We went into a sister resort
5 miles away in Playa Dorada and in Sosua just to see If I could. I did not try to get food or anything just to look around and check out the beach .
I did however keep the bracelet in My pocket just in case . Leave a good
tip to head bar tender, guard and head waiter and You will be remembered
bracelet or not .We leave tomorrow for Juan Dolio I will let You know how it works this time . Keeps life interesting. I detest compliance.

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
LMAO, That was Just to funny!

The Phoni Gringus, found roming in packs. and are very rare after nightfall. Durring the matting sesion you will find they move on to warmer tropical places, leaving their colder climate habatats. There pelts are prized for the amount of US$ they contain.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I normally recommend using a small rubber band to tie it back on with. Expands to allow easy removal & looks as though it hasn't been tampered with to the over zealous security guard or bar attendant!!

Reason for NOT wearing the bands out of the hotel is that you can act more as a newly arrived RESIDENT/long term visitor. In that way you can avoid some of the persistent street sellers, negotiate with more forcefulness (you LIVE here so you KNOW the true price!!!) & generally get a bit more peace from "Guides" who want to show you interesting places/shops (where they get commissions from!!).

Enjoy your visits into the towns & hinterland places - you'll enjoy your holiday FAR more than the hotel dwellers!!! - Grahame.

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
That?s the intent, if I wanted to stay at 1 place and resort it I would be hitting Disney world with other lemmings. Not to say Disney is a bad place but if you go there once then you have it down.

I like the rubber band Idea, what do you do? Glue the band on a rubber band with a small cut on the plastic bracelet so it will expand?

-Putting the super glue in travel bag now....

Again this site is wonderful. Now as long as I can keep my wife away from the world news. (She would be afraid if the Haiti issues escalate) 3 days and counting ??

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Here is a tip...found deep in the archives of DR1...

Bring a small safety pin for each person, cut the plastic bracelet off and go and have some fun off the resort...when returning use the safety pin to reattach the cut ends when re-entering the resort.
The bracelets most commonly used are similar to a hospital band. I am very much like you and hate having even a watch on, and found i was alergic to the plastic coating of the bracelet. I used the above method and had no problems except when i forgot the bracelet one evening at dinner and had a gaggle of staff around asking me what i was doing here... About the request to have it put on loosely...I got a firm no and an in-depth lecture about how many tourists loose thier bracelets in the ocean, pool and while out on tours.
and of course the cost of replacement.. The safety pin tip was a valued piece of advice from one of the DR1 regulars...thanks to them we can get the inside info needed for a good time...thanks DR1..
Toby

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Glad that the pin tip helped!!!! I tried tape, band-aids, but the pins work the best because there are already nicely placed holes in the plastic bracelet that you can hook the pin through.

To all the non-compliars (new word?) out there - solidarity! I DETEST being a mark and that's what these make you once you leave the resort. Of course being blonde is another issue however several easily learned Spanish phrases keep 'em at bay.

Enjoy your vacation!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Had a friend come to work for a bit on the North Coast and he was used to travelling in countries where you get kidnapped and held ransom if you are tagged as a foreigner with an AI bracelet and a laptop.

He steadfastly refused to even let them put it on his wrist (he doesn't speak spanish, which is a blessing). It took quite some time of "yes you will", "no I won't" but they finally just let him carry it around in his pocket :)

Beware the overzealous guards, just keep some of God's dollars with you, and I like the suggestion of tipping large right at the start to avoid any issues.

m

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You didn't say where you were going, but Casa de Campo does not give out bracelets. They give you an ID card you present in restaurants, etc. I think this is much more civilized than a damn plastic neon yellow wrist band.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Tonynocker said:
Going to the Casa Marina beach/reef If it just had a card I would be sooo Happy!!

At Casa Marina you get bright colored plastic wristband (tightly fitted).

:disappoin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hate the damned things

But, when we go to our place at Playa Dorada, I just "have" to have one, don't I?

Well, I have large wrists so I make sure that I use the very largest setting, the I can slip it off at night or when we go into town or i am playing golf...

There is a chance of losing it but they can't keep me out of my own place, hehehe.. Of course courteous treatment and talk to the staff always smooths things....And so do tips "in God's currency" . " Here are two Hail Marys and a Pater Noster, my good man...."

HB, still smiling at PIB's remark...