Scottish Connections

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Hi all,

I'm a Scottish writer planning to visit DR in April. While I'm there I thought I'd look for some historical Scotish connections with a view to writing them up for Scottish magazines when I get back home. I would really welcome any ideas you might have.

I saw on the message board a reference to an old railroad from La Vega to Samana which was supposedly built by a Scottish engineer? Any names? Any Info? Coincidentally, Samana Bay is next to Escocesa Bay (Bay of the Scotswoman?) Is there any connection?

Over to you guys. What can you come up with?

Cheers

David

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
the faro de colon - the biggest lighthouse in the world (i believe) which was completed about ten years ago was actually designed for trujillo (the assassinated dictator) by a scotsman. i don't have his name to hand, but there is a lot of literature, not necessarily about him, but his winning design from books printed in the 50s and earlier.

also one of the dominican republic's more prominent families, the reid cabrals have a scottish ancestry, and in terms of generations, not that far back. i am sure if you explained what you wanted to do, they would probably love to tell about their scottish roots.

tip:
most dominicans will probably want to talk to you about whisky, and will constantly ask you which is the best one. there really are a lot (i mean a lot) of brands here. if that doesn't get on your nerves too much, maybe it would be good for you to brush up some knowledge on whiskies, because if you seem to know what you are talking about (even if pretending), they will be much more approachable.
i am english, so you probably hate me - but they insist whisky comes from my country and are always asking me which are the best ones. i don't have a clue, i prefer bitter anyday, but i just go along with it and tell them johnny walker is considered crap amongst the people that know. after that you can talk to them about anything you want.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just a guess, but could the name "Bahia Escosesa" have something to do with seafarers or pirates from Scotland?

Scottish organization SEAD (Scottish Education and Action for Development) have an ongoing connection with a successful community and environmental development project in Cotui, you may want to contact them for information about this, their office is in Edinburgh.

Chiri

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
escoseces

There are several cheerful folks from Scotland at the Abraham Lincoln school in La Romana. They're really into golfing, as any good Scot I guess should, but since they are also teachers I would assume that perhaps they may be aware of historical references to Highlanders in the DR. You may want to give it a try.
good luck,
-Tordok

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
try this:

Some fields of investigation would be:

FUNDACION DEL SUPREMO CONSEJO DEL GRADO 33 PARA LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA ORDO AB CHAO :Founded on feb 16 1861, Rito Antiguo Escoc?s .
Pedro Santana, David Le?n, Gabriel Jos? de Luna, Jos? Mar?a Leyba Ram?rez y Antonio Madrigal were named as the founders.

Also here: http://www.cabinda.net/rd-gl.htm

Gran Logia de la Republica Dominicana to propagate the rite of perfection(Scottish) in all America Founded Oct 24 1858

In some posting I read that a scottsman was responsable for the Faro a Colon, this holds true because it was a brittish architech by the name of J. L. Gleave, who was of scottish descent himself, you can find more about him.

Good luck!

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Thanks

It's the writer again.

I'd heard DR people were friendly and hospitable. You all just reinforced that.

Thank you very much for all your leads. You've certainly given me lots to think about and work on.

As for the fellow who said I would hate him because he was English. Not at all. I've had lots of good times in England and found the English were almost like human beings. (Kidding (but which way).)

Thanks again, one and all. I'm looking forward to my visit at the end of April. Did I mention it was my honeymoon? Here's hoping your neighbours are happier by then.

Cheers

David

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Mother Lodge

It's the writer yet again!

Because of my appalling grasp of Spanish I didn't get the signisficance of the last contributor's reference to "Rito Antiguo Escoc?s". I foolishly thought it was someones name. Of course after a second or two of sensible thought I realise it refers to the Scottish Masonic tradition.

Co-incidentally I live about a mile away from the "Number Nothing" or "Mother Lodge", the home of Scottish Masonry.

I might have been able to say more about it. I was asked to join twice in my younger years but I wouldn't until they told me what it was about. They, of course, wouldn't tell me what it was about until I joined. Ah, tempestuous youth!

Adios again,

David