Azzurro/Estrella Del Mar

weze

Feb 6, 2004
Did anybody come back from there recently ?

How was the construction ? What is complete and what isn't ?

I'm going on Feb 28th.

Thanks

DRbound

Feb 3, 2004
The things that no one tells you....

weze said:
Did anybody come back from there recently ?

How was the construction ? What is complete and what isn't ?

I'm going on Feb 28th.

Thanks

Weze and anyone else about to go to Cabarete Bay Hotel, EDM, Or Azzurro et al. It is far from Done. I got back last night from there. The construction was constant, from sun up until well after dark, 9-10 pm crews of men were working like slaves, hammering away, wheeling barrows of dirt, mortaring, building, putting palm leaves up, etc, etc.

The older section is scary. Only stay in building 6 or 7. 7 being the better. There is one bar only. There is one restaurant (Italian, at night, by day it is a place whwere they sell time shares)

The beach is fine. There's really nothing to do but sit at the beach or by the pool. You'll hear all the construction by the pool.

The newer pool was being filled as we left, but not complete. The Bar in the middle won't be done for a month.

The Buffet is okay, but it's the same all the time. The Grill is actually done either on the beach one nite or on one of the covered areas by the beach entrance.

The employees and people of DR are wonderful, charming, hard working people. Bring the gifts from the dollar stores from home. Things for there hair, anything baseball, candy.

The drinks are good but they are served in small plastic cups, bring your own thermos cup. its good for your coffee in the a.m., and great to keep your large cold refreshment cool.

Bring sunscreen...30 or more. The sun is brutally hot, but theres a constant breeze which will fool you.

The bar has great Rum, or if you wish name brand booze. I drank Stolis or Absolute when not drinking Presidente (the local beer) It's good.

Make reservations for the restaurants there and also for Sosua. See Mary or Claudia as they also call her. Shes a tall young Canadian girl. She speaks English, French and Spanish.

More later, I have to go.

Cemoriall

Feb 18, 2004
Weze, regarding Estrella/Azzuro

Weze,
Dont forget to check out the other thread in this forum entitled
'Sunquest Compenstion/Cabarete Bay Hotel' This is regarding the same hotel and there are many posts about its condition and many reviews there

I returned from Estralla/Azzuro/Cabarete Bay Hotel (call it what u want, its all the same hotel!) on Feb 2/04. I've posted a few pics on page one of the media gallery of this hotel as well as 4 pics of the construction. I'd be happy to personally give u or others more pics of this hotel if u would like

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
construction update

I just got back last night (feb. 24th). The construction has come a long way but it is no where close to being finished. There really isn't a lot ot do at the hotel and if the weather is rainy like it was while we were there, there is nothing to do at all.
The hotel is going to be amazing when its finished, the key word there is when. We were told by the manager that it will be at leat 1 1/2 months until it will be done.
I will give a more detailed update later, hopefully tonight.

Ottawa_Dave

Feb 29, 2004
Just returned from Azzurro/Estrella Del Mar

I just returned from Azzurro/Estrella Del Mar (Feb 21 - Feb 28) and can report the big pool is open and the bar in operating. It started up the last day I was there.

The problem I had with the place was the quality of the rooms provided. The lower numbered blocks seem to quite rundown. I was first given a room in Block 1 and couldn't get cable or a hot shower. The room also didn't have a mini-bar or any drinkable water. After asking a couple of times I finally got a fridge. Also, they replaced the TV with one that was worse than the one they took out.

After the first cold shower I got them to give me a new room and they moved me to Block 2. While I got better cable, the shower and air conditioning were very poor. The best I could get out of the showerhead was a warm trickle of water. I couldn't get much out of the A/C so the room was always warm and damp. I complained about this a couple of times but nothing was done. The Go Travel Direct rep said she was trying to get me a room in a better block but there too nothing happened. All in all, I don't think I got what I paid for.

The beach and the weather were great and I did have a relaxing time so I may return to Cabarete but it will be at another resort.

Last edited: