would nagua be a good place to visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Feb 15, 2004
My wife and I plan to fly to POP and relax on the North shore for a couple of weeks - we stayed in Las Terrenas a few years ago. it was great but i'd like to hear about other perhaps quieter areas with good beaches. we aren't interested in full service resorts.
Thanks for any tips.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
comment

Nagua is not known as a torist town. As I remembr it was a relativly poor town that suppied a lot of people to the tourist industry (due to it's poverty). But at the same time the town was far enough away from the industry that it was not currupted i.e. if you were a forigner walking through the central park there was no one waiting there to make a buck off you.

I guess it could be nice, I defer to others about any tourist complex there.

Other note: Nagua is a town from which Dominican boat people now originate, read todays news on DR1. Of course yola people come from all over, but it's no Satiago by far.

-Lee

Last edited:

bert

Feb 15, 2004
thanks for the reply

ltsnyder said:
Nagua is not known as a torist town. As I remembr it was a relativly poor town that suppied a lot of people to the tourist industry (due to it's poverty). But at the same time the town was far enough away from the industry that it was not currupted i.e. if you were a forigner walking through the central park there was no one waiting there to make a buck off you.

I guess it could be nice, I defer to others about any tourist complex there.

Other note: Nagua is a town from which Dominican boat people now originate, read todays news on DR1. Of course yola people come from all over, but it's no Satiago by far.

-Lee[/QUOTE
we'd like to find somewhere inexpensive and quiet and near a nice beach within walking distance of reasonable restaurants- definitely not AI type places

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Nagua vs. L.T.

Nagua does not cater to tourists?needs. The beaches are not very inviting either. It?s a town where the rural people get their supplies, it?s noisy.
As we consider ourselves to be campesinos, we have to go there quite often, but I don?t really like it.
Las Terrenas does offer a lot of small and tranquil hotels and guest houses near the town centre where there is a good choice of restaurants.
The further you go out of town the better the beaches (Punta Poppy, Punta Bonita, Coson, El Portillo).
El Limon is also a good place for the individual traveller. As you won?t book in advance you can stay where you like it best.
Have a nice stay.
M?frog.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with mountain frog. There are beaches in Nagua, but the ones I've seen are not very inviting.

Finding a hotel that is close to both good beaches and good restaurants is not that easy. Between Cabarete and Rio San Juan there are some interesting looking hotels, but no good restauarants within walking distance. The reason there are no restaurants is because there aren't that many tourists in that area.

You may want to consider going back to Las Terrenas and look for a hotel outside of town, as mountain frog suggests.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Girlie Girl just took a trip to Nagua and said that it was the first town in the DR that doesnt look slummy. Although there are poor people, supposedly the beaches are nice and its a pretty much quiet town , from what I heard, PM GIRLIEGIRL and she can tell you all about it!

SSSSssssiiiddd

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Something Else ...

While huelgas (strikes) and political clashes are pretty much non-existant in any of the tourist areas, Nagua is know as one of the hotspots.

With the deteriorating condition of the economy and government services I would expect those sorts of protests only to increase between now and the elections in May. You didn't say when you were coming. But Nagua is one of the places I personally would avoid until things settle down a bit if I wasn't very much in tune with when these things are ocurring.

Tom aka XR If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made with meat?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Same Nagua??

It is grossly misleading to call Nagua "a quiet town" with "nice beaches".
Either CabareteCid is not citing Girlie Girl correctly or G.G.
just drove through.
On the Nagua-Sanchez road there are two hotels (one Italian run). I have never seen any tourists there. There is practically nothing within walking distance and the surf on that part of the coast is very rough. The spray is often blown
onto the road which runs parallel and is about 50 m from
the waterline.
M?frog

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Maybe I Misunderstood Her...

but that is what I heard. It doesn't really matter, if you are coming this country to do touristy things than its not the place for you, but any part of this country can be a great vacation!!

SSSSssssiiiiddd

bert

Feb 15, 2004
thank you all

XanaduRanch said:
While huelgas (strikes) and political clashes are pretty much non-existant in any of the tourist areas, Nagua is know as one of the hotspots.

With the deteriorating condition of the economy and government services I would expect those sorts of protests only to increase between now and the elections in May. You didn't say when you were coming. But Nagua is one of the places I personally would avoid until things settle down a bit if I wasn't very much in tune with when these things are ocurring.

Tom aka XR If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made with meat?
we appreciate your comments thanks again

skinyc15

Feb 23, 2004
Nagua ...nice people and town

I went to Nagua last year and it had very nice beaches. Nice friendly people there. I didn't stay there overnight, but I did notice that there were no hotels in the area. (by the beach). I would recommend Nagua if you are just going to pass the day there.

FP

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Nagua trip

I went on a day trip to Nagua from Sosua last July on one of my trips down and enjoyed it. I did not see anything that says vacation spot though. The town is big enough to get what you need but it does not have much that I seen as far as services for the tourist.
If I were wanting to live out in the boonies I could see Nagua as some place close to live though.
My humble uneducated opinion.
John

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I live near nagua and visit it often to do some shopping for farm supplies, parts, etc. I cant think of any good reason for a tourist to visit the town. I suppose if you just wanted to see regular dominicans it might be worth an afternoon stop but that is about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.