Double Standard?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
First of all, Danny W do not take this the wrong way, please.
Can I ask why though, when Danny W started the post about moving his girlfriend and her children from SD to Sosua, no one jumped all over him.
If someone (eg: Fiesta Mama) mentions that they are moving to the DR to set up with their boyfriend, everyone jumps all over them. A man says that he will be a "bank" for awhile and is moving his girlfriend to Hookerville, and everyone offers advise to him. No warnings, no insults, just friendly advise? What is the difference here? It's okay for a man to spend all his money on a woman in the DR, but not okay for a woman to spend her money on a man? As I see it, Danny W doesn't even live here so how do we know his girlfriend isn't a female version of a sankie as you assume every time a girl falls for a Dominican - that he is a sankie!
Just an observation - but felt it should be stated. I have never seen such a blatant double standard!
Marlie

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
You made me think

Very well observed.
And you really made a macho think.
There is one little detail however:
The guy accepts to BE the bank for some (long?) time.
The sankies take their victim TO the bank.
Not really the same, is it?
M?frog.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You've got that right Marlie. It's always more fun to attack the woman if she doesn't post every little detail of her life and the guy she's with in order to get a straight answer.

A women can't say: I'm moving so what should I bring without SOME people jumping in and wanting to hear all about " the sankie part" and assuming that every resort worker is one. That must really rub on the honest resort workers and anyone involved with them.

You know what I think?
The men are jealous for whatever reason but when a man is doing the same thing, they are silently saying " way to go buddy" or whatever.

Double Standrad? yipe!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I agree with you Marlie! I read Danny's post this morning and thought the same thing.
I think from now on, if you are a woman and you want some information without all the rest of the babble, pretend you're a man! Doesn't matter what the heck you do as a man, 'cause it's all right with this crowd.

Maryanne

blong

Sep 30, 2003
Split the site?

Maybe this website should just split into two sites according to gender.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am not in the habit of posting unsolicited advice on people's personal business, unlike some on this board who leap in waving the 'sankie' flag when someone posts a question about some practicality like 'getting married to my Dominican boyfriend' or whatever. In this case when I read the post the only question that came to mind was - 'is it really such a good idea to move someone away from their support network of friends and family?' - but I imagine Danny had probably already considered that.

The difference here is not so much that the poster is a man, but that he is an established poster here and has mentioned his ongoing relationship with his Dominican girlfriend in the past. Had he been a first-time poster, he might have got different treatment. It has been known to happen, even to men.

Chiri

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You got it wrong, girls. Danny W didn't write in the hopes we would tell him how lucky he was to find a girl in the Dominican Republic. He didn't ask for advice on whether or not he should move his girl friend out of the city. He didn't gush about what a wonderful girl she is.

All he did is ask for help in finding her a place to live. And the fact that he has a Dominican girl friend did not come as a surprise. He has been posting on this board for some time.

But, you gals do have a point. Maybe what we need is a section entitled Slumber Party, No Men Allowed.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Fiesta mama was looking for advice on what to expect down there. Many posters told her how she was with a sankie and how impossible it would be to live there. She didnt ask, should she do it or not. Some people were just plain cruel to her.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Fiesta mama wanted info about living in the DR but what she got was " your boyfriend a sankie because he works in a resort" standrad answer. Or his family is "low class" even though you people knew nothing about his family. Assume assume assume. You know what happenes when you do that right? She had to give every detail of her life and that of his family to get a couple of good answers.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Chirimoya said:
The difference here is not so much that the poster is a man, but that he is an established poster here and has mentioned his ongoing relationship with his Dominican girlfriend in the past. Had he been a first-time poster, he might have got different treatment. It has been known to happen, even to men.

I think you're right. It makes a difference if you actually know something about the person asking the question. It's hard to give advice to someone you don't know anything about. Which makes me wonder, why would they even come to a public board with such personal questions. I am not excusing all the rude remarks though. Some people are just plain mean.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have also been a little dismayed at the responses some people get, I always felt it was bad manners to call someone's boyfriend/girlfriend/whatever a whore until at least after they break up. (If the person in question does or has actually sold their body for a living it is still not good manners to point this out)

That said I don't see very many similarities between Danny's and Fiesta Mama's posts. Danny was moving his girl from one part of the island to the other, Fiesta Mama is leaving her continent without a return ticket. Danny knows he will be supporting his girl, Fiesta Mama is unsure what her future holds or where her support is coming from. Danny knows the country and the culture, Fiesta Mama is an admitted "newbie" to this country and culture. Fiesta Mama asked a very broad question about what to expect, Danny asked for help locating a house in a specific area of a specific town.

Not alot of room for sankie talk in Danny's thread, a little more in Fiesta Mama's.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
To clarify...

and in response to Ken and Forbeca especially, I would just like to point out that I did not ask a personal question. I don't think a newbie should have to give every detail of their life in return for some advice. No where in my post did I ask for relationship advice - I was simply wanting to know what to expect living in the DR. It ended up that I had to give my whole relationship history, which I wish I had not done. Anyhow, all I really wanted to know were things like - bring lots of this or that because you can't get it here, make sure to do your shopping at this store, bring only US$, etc. Oh well, better luck to others in the future hoping for "living" advice, not "relationship" advice.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mountainfrog said:
Very well observed.
And you really made a macho think.
There is one little detail however:
The guy accepts to BE the bank for some (long?) time.
The sankies take their victim TO the bank.
Not really the same, is it?
M?frog.
These broads just don't get it. There would be NO double standard if they came onto the board and say "Hey I got the ride of my life for 4000 Pesos from this sankie and it was great". Nope, they have to come here professing their true love and look for congradulations for their dumbness and get all flustered when they do NOT receive it.

The guy makes a bargain with a woman. He pays and usually gets a piece.

The girl makes a bargain with a Sankie and the Sankie doesn't give the lasting love the Gal expected and he promised, it ends up costing her an arm, a leg, her bank account, her car and her good thoughts about herself and wonders why me. Then come on here to cry.

They never listen. These gals are always with resort workers who do the same thing week in and week out. They happen to be good at what they do.

Now I know I am stereotyping and that are at least a dozen hookers who have a chance at becoming the next Mother Theresa but give me a friggin break.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Criss thanks for being cruel to ALL the sexes, now we know there is justice! LOL

You did make good points though...

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Well, well, well , Criss and I on the same wave length !!
I guess it wasn't a good idea to compare Danny W and Fiesta Mamas' threads as they are as different as night and day.
So now what you guys are saying is that it is perfectly fine for Danny W to post his personal experiences and ask for help because he is a long time poster and you all know him. So, if that post was written by a NEWBIE you would jump all over him, right?????? Yeah, I thought so.
With all due respect guys, we do get it, believe me - right girls???
Escott - I am not a broad, unless I am overseas - then I would be "abroad" !!!(ha ha ha)
Marlie

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Danny W knows dominican culture well. he has lived and worked in this country before. He has a dominican kid. he speaks spanish and italian fluently. He knows what he is getting into. he has a profession that is very much in demand in this country and he can make huge bucks being in the right place. He has done it once and he can do it again. He is also a MD in addition to a fellow chiropractor. Danny W is not married to a 5 peso sankie from a resort. His girlfriend's family may not be rich but she is certainly not from a montellano sugar cutter's town. Montellano has the higest rate of HIV infection in the north coast region. The women are mostly whores who work in cabarete and sosua at night and the rest are so ugly that they stay put in the local disco and serve the young motoconchos for a few bucks or for simply a night of brugal and a free ride home. Montellano has nothing except for a gas station on the main road and sugar mill. They have constant riots in the area and often times the situation gets out of hands. If you like to see a real life machete fight, montellano is the place to be at. Its dangerous to ride passed monte llano in a motorcycle as the tigres tie a wire along the main road to puerto plata so when the motorcycle folk come by they get knocked down and seriously get hurt. The tigres get away with your wallet, watch, shoes and take away your bike. You get hit by on-coming traffic.
Montellano is a hell hole and most people who live there are embarrassed to say that they are from there.
So please, don't even compare yourself to DannyW's situation. He is in a completely different class than your 100 dollar a month sankie.
have a nice day.
AZB