Do DR men legitimately fall in love -- and if so, how do reason with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper

Feb 20, 2004
I thought that I would pose a question to this forum because I've ended up in a bit of a predicament of sorts:

Took an elderly aunt on vacation to DR for some r&r in December after my uncle died. Obviously was lacking in the night-time companion department while there (by this I mean people to go out dancing with in the evening).

Went out the first two night with a nice "rich" dominican: brand new car, paid for all of my drinks etc. Unfortunately, these excursions were too "date-like," and I am engaged: Was concerned that my "date" might expect something of me that I made clear I wasn't prepared to do. Third day, decided to take up one of the Animation Team member's offer to take me out that night. Not being naive, I thought: This is what I need! I'll buy his drinks, we can dance all night, and I don't have to worry about him expecting anything from me! AND since he's animation, he has lots of girls to entertain, which will limit any possible attachment to me.

I did have lots of (innocent) fun that week. Exchanged numbers, figuring that we'd talk once in a while -- caught up in the moment. What a mistake.

Anyway, he has called me every day since. I've told him that I am engaged (to a Crown Attorney, no less, not a gas station attendant). Not only that, he knows that I have years of University and am very successful -- he on the other hand, is a compulsive liar. Which I have pointed out to him that I know, calling him on every lie he has said to me (like bartending in Switzerland, living in Spain for a while, having a degree).

I am now screening his calls, but the voice messages of loving me and missing me are getting ridiculous. We're bordering on three months of daily calls now! I am no stranger to having men fall in love with me, regardless of my best intentions to avoid it, but he absolutely refuses to listen to me!

My questions is this: Is there even a slim chance that he is being sincere, because if so, I don't want to be mean. I'll just continue screening and hopefully he will stop, eventually.

But if he is being incorrigible because he is hoping that it will eventually benefit him someday (against all rational possibilities), I'll let loose on him -- I am so annoyed. Why is he wasting his pesos???!!!

You have to understand, I carry around a lot of guilt for the hearts I've broken -- so I don't want to do it again. Could he possibly actually care about me??? (because he is not smart enough to realize how ridiculous that actually is!!!)
Piper

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1

Anyway, he has called me every day since. I've told him that I am engaged (to a Crown Attorney, no less, not a gas station attendant). Not only that, he knows that I have years of University and am very successful -- he on the other hand, is a compulsive liar. Which I have pointed out to him that I know, calling him on every lie he has said to me (like bartending in Switzerland, living in Spain for a while, having a degree).

You answered your own question. Why bother asking strangers what they think. If this happened to you where you live what would you think?
Exactly!!!! Do you really give a hoot if he has fallen in love with you?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My opinion:

He is not in love with you. At most he has a crush on you; he probably hangs up after leaving you the messages and calls several other women right afterward, waiting to see which one breaks down first.

Your guilt feelings are not unique or even rare and he is well of aware of them and trying to take advantage.

Let's say you weaken and give in to his pleas (not likely) worst case scenario is easy to imagine and not worth mentioning, best case scenario is still not very good with him trying to use this same weakness against you again and again all the time, continuing to lie etc.

Worse if his emotional codependency (evidenced by him falling deeply in love after 1 date) is genuine, then this is the kind of Dominican guy that tends to go into a rage and kill everybody involved when he can't be with the person he wants, or when he catches her with someone else. This is common here, it's happenned at least 15 times in the last 6 months.

How to lose an infatuated Dominican lover:

Maybe there should be a thread on this, I would sure like to have some tips. They tend to be very emotionally masochistic, so "letting lose" on him will not decrease his feelings for you, probably only intensify them. He is getting your attention after all, that's 50% of the battle as far as he's concerned.

I have been stalked by women for years after 1 or 2 innocent dates, and considering how reserved Dominican women are in comparison to the men, it can only be much harder to try to lose a Dominican guy.

Back in the states the best way to break up with someone is just "forget" to call for a week or so and they get the point, not so here. I have changed my phone # just to stop hearing from former dates, only to have my # hounded down through contacts at the phone company and start getting surprise phone calls in the middle of the night. I have been married for a year and a half, and I still get phone calls from people who hang up as soon as the phone is answered. If there is a way to get people like this to give up, I haven't found it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stop "stroking" your own Ego!!!

Just let it go! You said you went out with him because you are engauged!
Would you marry this guy? Take him to your parents house? Have his children? Support him? You said he is a chronic lier.Why drag this "Dead Horse" any farther???Cris Colon

Piper

Feb 20, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Just let it go! You said you went out with him because you are engauged!
Would you marry this guy? Take him to your parents house? Have his children? Support him? You said he is a chronic lier.Why drag this "Dead Horse" any farther???Cris Colon

No! I don't even ever want to see him again!!! I guess I was naive in giving him my number -- always thought it was girls calling/sending the sankies presents: Never realized at all that they would waste their money calling me incessantly. Just wanted to hang out with someone while I was there, and made an error in judgement giving out my #. Did you even READ my post? Geez, just looking for the kind of advice Mr.Mike gave.

I just wanted to know: Is it possible that I could be hurting somebody's feelings? Because I don't want to. I know that I shouldn't care, but I am full of guilt for giving him the wrong idea about where this could go.

Thanks, Mr.Mike...that's the kind of advice I needed to hear.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Most important decisions in life involve hurting someone's feelings. Dominicans try to exploit this fear all of the time, even with each other. Don't let fear of hurting someone's feelings keep you from doing the right thing.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
I just wanted to know: Is it possible that I could be hurting somebody's feelings? Because I don't want to. I know that I shouldn't care, but I am full of guilt for giving him the wrong idea about where this could go.

Thanks, Mr.Mike...that's the kind of advice I needed to hear.[/QUOTE]

It's not guilt that you're feeling... you just fell for the bastard and want to somehow see if it makes sense...if, possibly, he could have actually fallen in love with you. It is a very dreamy way of thinking, and your reason keeps pushing against the notion, and that's why you're confused. What MrMike suggests in my opinion, is very intelligent advice, which makes a lot of sense unlike some other COLONizing members that often attempt to attack, yet at the same time, mean well.

I am NOT a DR proressional, BY NO MEANS... however, even if you did end up hurting his feelings, you're a grown girl and you should know by now that a man who lies ON THE FIRST DATE has a high probablity of lying about his feelings as well. Don't let a fantasy about a far away land that seems too magical interfrere with reason, logic, and reality :) good luck

missvi87

Jan 3, 2004
Givmme a break!

I usually read these boards for laughs and leave it at just that but this one is too good to pass on. Just who do you think you're fooling? You gave the guy your number because you wanted him to call and now that he is calling you're actually considering re-visiting the island just to see him but you're afraid of what everybody will think if you (the successful, degree-holding, engaged to a -- I forget what you said about your fiance except he's NOT a gas station attendant -- flew the coop and ran off with somebody "beneath" you). If you're half as smart as you claim to be (BTW, you actually sound like you're drowning in low self-esteem) you wouldn't have: a) given him your number and b) put so much time into seeking out everybody's else approval for this absolutely inane (that's not a typo) thing that you're thinking about doing. These guys know exactly who to prey on. They can see low self-esteem half-way across a dance floor and that's who they prey on. If you're really all that (and truly believed it) you would carry yourself as such (and I'm not talking being a snob) and a guy like "that" would know immediately that the two of you are worlds apart and therefore wouldn't even bother to go near you. My advice to you: stop spending so much time on this and more on your self-esteem. If it was just a vacation thing then why are you so worked up about whether or not Dominican men really fall in love? You might also want to call it quits with your "fiance" because, clearly, he's not the one.

Don Juancito

Jan 30, 2004
one way to lose him

this way carries 2 possibilities. 1)He will not bug you anymore
2)will bug you more

Ans; sleep with him.

Either he will choose #1 and perhaps request a refund for the night out or

Don Juancito

Jan 30, 2004
Question for Piper

What exactly is a "Crown Attorney"

Being a gringo gas station attendant I am not familiar with this term.

Amber_Stewart

Mar 3, 2004
answering Don Juancito's question

Don Juancito said:
What exactly is a "Crown Attorney"

Being a gringo gas station attendant I am not familiar with this term.

A Crown Attorney is a lawyer who works for the government (is she Canadian? It's definitely a Canadian term but I'm not sure if they use it in the States as well).

P.S. I think that being a gringo gas station attendant is super, and believe me, you're not missing much by being unfamiliar with that term.

Piper: I don't want to sound harsh here, but a gentle reminder - if you're so concerned about not hurting people's feelings, try not to be condescending in what you say off the cuff.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True!!

marliejaneca said:
A Crown Attroney(which my cousin is) is the Canadian equivalent of the US District Attorney.
So very true, marlie. That's the same thing that my Canadian friend told me.

Mar 21, 2002
Dominican men, don't worry they have no feelings for women. He will continue trying until he gets what he wants. My uncle told me about a woman he has been harrasing for 7 years yes SEVEN YEARS and he finally had sex withe her. You'll just be another dead trophy in the recesses of his mind if you cave in. Remember Dominican men don't feel.

missvi87 and Mr Mike good advice

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Why did you give a compulsive liar and con man your phone number. If I was your fiancee, I would not be very happy with you. Block you number or change it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Larry

cam

Mar 28, 2004
Maybe there should be a thread on this, I would sure like to have some tips. They tend to be very emotionally masochistic, so "letting lose" on him will not decrease his feelings for you, probably only intensify them. He is getting your attention after all, that's 50% of the battle as far as he's concerned.

If there ever is a thread on this..please let me know. I think this is what I a experiencing..."emotional masochism"....I "let loose"...The Dominican man listens, sweet talks me( ( I am an american woman) ..and the cycle continues...So, from what you are saying, if I just eliminate the reinforcement...it will stop? I should act like I just dont care?

The problem is that I have cared for 4 years now...but the relationship is very strange. I know he cares too..but he has some serious issues to take care of.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
cam said:

If there ever is a thread on this..please let me know. I think this is what I a experiencing..."emotional masochism"....I "let loose"...The Dominican man listens, sweet talks me( ( I am an american woman) ..and the cycle continues...So, from what you are saying, if I just eliminate the reinforcement...it will stop? I should act like I just dont care?

The problem is that I have cared for 4 years now...but the relationship is very strange. I know he cares too..but he has some serious issues to take care of.

I find " letting loose" only makes the situation worse. With my husband, if I can resist the urge to "act" on my emotions (which is not always easy but much more effective lol), and just discuss my problem with him, we usually work it out. Maybe if you try to talk with him before you blow, you might have better luck. But it's hard to say, everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.