Traveling and Concerned about situation in Haiti

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Hello. My husband and I will be traveling to the Domincan for the first time this March. We are very concerned about the political uprise in Haiti. Being on the same island we have concerns. Does anyone have any insight on the sitution if the Dominican is being effected also.

Thanks,
Martha

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
there is not problem

mspreen said:
Hello. My husband and I will be traveling to the Domincan for the first time this March. We are very concerned about the political uprise in Haiti. Being on the same island we have concerns. Does anyone have any insight on the sitution if the Dominican is being effected also.

Thanks,
Martha

Just see the Map guess how far is it? from Secrets Excellence to Haiti its almost 15 hour driving. + that we share the same island but not the same economy or politic. is 2 different world in the same piece of land.

The situation that Haiti is having is because they don't even have army forces, the problem is not with the DR.

Go in vacation relax most of the Hotel are over booking in Punta Cana full of tourist and still keep coming to the DR.

Enjoy your vacation

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
2 Things

mspreen said:

Thanks,
Martha

First it is not called the "Dominican" (twice) - it is the Dominican Republic or if you prefer "the DR". A Dominican is a person who lives there.

You have nothing, zero, nil, zilch, zip, nada, negative infinity, to worry about. Nothing. (aka Goose egg, 1 minus 1, sub atomic particle sized worry).

Unless you are travelling to Dajabon with the intent to smuggle Haitian refugees or commandos or terrorists under the wire of course, then you are taking a risk.

I suspect you are going to some AI somewhere ( since you left a few details missing), in which case you could be in Mexico for all the concern you should have (and for all the true DR experience you'll get as well). E.g. nothing, none, zilch, nil, zip.

It's a lot bigger island than you think. And the affect on the DR should be marginal, and from an AI tourist POV, non-existent.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
2 more things

ricktoronto said:
I suspect you are going to some AI somewhere ( since you left a few details missing), in which case you could be in Mexico for all the concern you should have (and for all the true DR experience you'll get as well). E.g. nothing, none, zilch, nil, zip.

Firstly if we are having grammar or spelling lessons i think 'i.e' not 'e.g' would be more appropriate and secondly 'to a degree' people can have a good time in an AI hotel. It is wrong to say that the kind of experience you will get from an AI hotel is nothing, none, nil or zip.
True, a vacation spent in the confines of an AI hotel seems pointless to you (and many others), but some people can't get out and about as easy as others. Also some people want to do nothing but lay on the beach for 2 weeks with drinks, food and entertainment within hands reach. Some people don't do this on their vacation but others do, and they enjoy it!

Mspreen - i am confident that you will have a great holiday. You don't need to worry about the Haiti situation, and as Rick is saying (in a round-a-bout fashion) have a good look around in the DR. Find out what makes it different to places you might have been to before.

liggyh

Jan 31, 2004
Ai

ricktoronto said:
First it is not called the "Dominican" (twice) - it is the Dominican Republic or if you prefer "the DR". A Dominican is a person who lives there.

You have nothing, zero, nil, zilch, zip, nada, negative infinity, to worry about. Nothing. (aka Goose egg, 1 minus 1, sub atomic particle sized worry).

Unless you are travelling to Dajabon with the intent to smuggle Haitian refugees or commandos or terrorists under the wire of course, then you are taking a risk.

It's a lot bigger island than you think. And the affect on the DR should be marginal, and from an AI tourist POV, non-existent.

I don't see the point of putting down the AI vacation or for that matter the people who choose to spend there time in the DR at these facilities.If it was'nt for the millions of dollars left behind by these tourist,the DR would be as poor as Haiti is today.Then no one would get to enjoy it.Even people who think an AI experience is beneath them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mspreen, continue with your planned trip. The problem is confined to Haiti. I live in Sosua and little if any thought is being given to the Haiti situation by the local residents. Ricktoronto's statement about this being a much bigger island than you think is quite true. In fact, I've lived here 18 years and have never by conscious of being on an island. That is not true of all the other Caribbean islands that I have been on. On them you are always aware you are on an island.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I don't think so

liggyh said:
I don't see the point of putting down the AI vacation or for that matter the people who choose to spend there time in the DR at these facilities.If it was'nt for the millions of dollars left behind by these tourist,the DR would be as poor as Haiti is today.Then no one would get to enjoy it.Even people who think an AI experience is beneath them.

Dominican Republic would not be like Haiti with out All inclusive Hotel I think that you better read the background politic economic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic before you say that. Dominican Republic even in 1960 we did not have al inclusive hotel and we have better economic life than Haiti.

All inclusive hotels help the country in the only way that tourist pay taxes at the airport and also provide some work at the Hotel, Tourist that goes to all inclusive Hotel rarely spend money outside of the Hotel who get benefit from that the goverment who are the only one getting and taking the money but if we don't have all inclusive hotel still many tourist will go and will spend money out side then goverment and country have money. But still the island with out AI can get money that's why we have Zonas Francas, that's why still the a few sugar cane field, that's why there are people investing in the Dominican Rep. If this answer is not enought for you then ask your self why Haiti is not having all inclusive hotel as the Dominican Rep?

Remenber this people go to the Dominican Republic because most of the time they fill better than their homeland in some point.

Good people + peacefull place = Dominican Rep.

PS: Not even under the Power of Trujillo the country had better economy than Haiti.

My goodness read information about the Dominican Rep, before you make statement.

Homer

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
now just one darn minute

:eek: We just got back from the DR. and I feel the need to let you know exactly how much money we left there.First, in tours for the two of us cost over $300. US. dollars.Gifts to bring home to family, over $200.US, on myself and my husband for one off resort resturants $30.US, lets not forget the kids clothes, candy, shoes, paper and pencils we brought for the schools.Now I bought some dresses, candles, and art work, my husband bought some shirts.Know that we saved for two years for that $4,500 holiday.Everyone we know that has visited the DR. brings and spends about the same.So much for your idea that tourist only spend money at the resort and air port
simpson Homer said:
Dominican Republic would not be like Haiti with out All inclusive Hotel I think that you better read the background politic economic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic before you say that. Dominican Republic even in 1960 we did not have al inclusive hotel and we have better economic life than Haiti.

All inclusive hotels help the country in the only way that tourist pay taxes at the airport and also provide some work at the Hotel, Tourist that goes to all inclusive Hotel rarely spend money outside of the Hotel who get benefit from that the goverment who are the only one getting and taking the money but if we don't have all inclusive hotel still many tourist will go and will spend money out side then goverment and country have money. But still the island with out AI can get money that's why we have Zonas Francas, that's why still the a few sugar cane field, that's why there are people investing in the Dominican Rep. If this answer is not enought for you then ask your self why Haiti is not having all inclusive hotel as the Dominican Rep?

Remenber this people go to the Dominican Republic because most of the time they fill better than their homeland in some point.

Good people + peacefull place = Dominican Rep.

PS: Not even under the Power of Trujillo the country had better economy than Haiti.

My goodness read information about the Dominican Rep, before you make statement.

Homer

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
wrdski said:
:eek: We just got back from the DR. and I feel the need to let you know exactly how much money we left there.First, in tours for the two of us cost over $300. US. dollars.Gifts to bring home to family, over $200.US, on myself and my husband for one off resort resturants $30.US, lets not forget the kids clothes, candy, shoes, paper and pencils we brought for the schools.Now I bought some dresses, candles, and art work, my husband bought some shirts.Know that we saved for two years for that $4,500 holiday.Everyone we know that has visited the DR. brings and spends about the same.So much for your idea that tourist only spend money at the resort and air port

Good for you! that you spent money out side the resort in this way Dominican families get benefit in economic way from tourist.

I hope you also understood the point when I did wrote that some tourist at AI(RARELY) spend money outside of the Hotel. my Message was for (liggyh) who is completly wrong. The island Dominican Republic with out all inclusive hotel IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE HAITI.

WRDISKI, The country and all those people that you bought stuff from them specially the kids who clean shoes appreciated so much your help.

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
stuff for you to think about

simpson Homer said:
Good for you! that you spent money out side the resort in this way Dominican families get benefit in economic way from tourist.

I hope you also understood the point when I did wrote that some tourist at AI(RARELY) spend money outside of the Hotel. my Message was for (liggyh) who is completly wrong. The island Dominican Republic with out all inclusive hotel IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE HAITI.

WRDISKI, The country and all those people that you bought stuff from them specially the kids who clean shoes appreciated so much your help.
To be fair to you, I do not understand what AI is,but it is your last line I wish to comment on.In the town that I live in,kids walk down the street with a shovel, going door to door, asking if you would like your driveway cleaned[ too small for snow blower], in minus 5 and more weather, and lets not forget the 4ft plus snow drifts. How about the child here that asks to clean the yard in the summer,takes care of my dog, mow my lawn, all so they can earn some money .I am sure that if there was a market here to shine shoes, they would gladly do it.p.s.I believe that the children that shine shoes, all children that think of inventive ways to earn monies,will grow to be very productive citizens.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think it's only fair to mention at this point that most Dominicans are much less anal about spelling and other things than the average poster on this board.

I wouldn't want you to be worried that your vacation will be constantly interupted by people correcting you. Message boards in general seem to draw alot of frustrated wannabe grade school teachers.

AI = All inclusive. aka "Tourist Trap" The kind of self contained resort that offers everything within walking distance for one price but also keeps you from experiencing the "real" grassroots culture of the country you're visiting. (assuming you stay inside)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
MrMike said:
I think it's only fair to mention at this point that most Dominicans are much less anal about spelling and other things than the average poster on this board.

I wouldn't want you to be worried that your vacation will be constantly interupted by people correcting you. Message boards in general seem to draw alot of frustrated wannabe grade school teachers.

Good point! People join this forum for advice that will help them on their vacation they don't join so as to remember what it was like at school in their english spelling classes.

I personally love DR1 for all the help and information it has given me. Hopefully thanks to other helpful members my next holiday will be even better than previous ones. Keep up the good work.

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
More to say

Thank you for your reply.We have visited the DR a number of times and always all inclusive.Why, because its holidays,and holidays are about rest, relaxation,saftey, and service.Just as a thought, what about the farmers who provide the fresh fruit and vegtables, the rancher with the meats,the fishermen with the seafood, and lets not forget the people that work at the Brugal factory that supply that lovely rum,that is a large number of jobs provided from the AI resort.My husband informed me that we spent almost $1,ooo US. extra and above our all inclusive costs.No regrets and will go again.As an experanced tourist of the DR, I would feel, even at a time of unrest in Hati, I would not be anymore concerned about my saftey today, than I was two months ago.

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
I am tired of everyone putting down all-inclusives! No you dont get a feel for the culture of the country but as pointed out here that is not why everyone comes to this country. people work hard and want to relax. It is a great concept in that regard. I myself have done both and will continue to do both depending on what I want at the time. People that put down the AI's come across as feeling that they are superior that others and more interesting! That is Bullshit. And AI's are a huge resource for the DR with incredible economic spinoff. Its only in Cuba where the people dont see much of it as Fidel siphons everything and is really attempting to discourage independent travel in that country.

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Thank You

Thank you everyone. I have heard many wonderful things about the Dominican Republic from coworkers originally from there. Thank you tired boy for sticking up for me. Spelling errors happen when you are at work and quickly trying to get some information. Yes the club is an all-inclusive. We do like to go to them. We also like to travel outside of the resorts to explore what the island has to offer. So that is why the Haiti situation was an issue. I appreciate everyone's input and feel confident to go and have a great time. Does anyone have any suggestions of places we should visit outside of the resort?

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
First time travelars and AI's

I will try to watch my spelling but English is my third language, so let it fly.
We just got back from DR about 12 days ago, AI package. That did not mean that we stayed in the hotel all the time. Ask any one at the Rocky's, how often I was there.
Point #2 , Since getting back I have been checking airfares from the midwest to POP. We paid $1250 US for two week stay(per person), I included every thing except the tourist card at $10. AA wants $812 US for air trip alone from Here(Plus all taxes over and above). So if you figure that we paid $800 for air alone, that means we got the nice hotel and all our meals and drinks(if wanted to) for 450 dollars for 2 weeks. I think that is fairly good deal. Different strokes for different people. It seams that on this site any time some one mentions AI, all kind FOO Foo start to fly. We probably would not have come to DR if it had not been for AI. Now we know what it is like , next time we will do it differently.
Any one wanna sell their place Cheeeeeep.

may be some one will suggest spell check tobe put on here so some people wont get all upset about spellings.

Rami

doodlebug

Feb 27, 2004
Thanks for asking the question!

:knockedou
mspreen said:
Thank you everyone. I have heard many wonderful things about the Dominican Republic from coworkers originally from there. Thank you tired boy for sticking up for me. Spelling errors happen when you are at work and quickly trying to get some information. Yes the club is an all-inclusive. We do like to go to them. We also like to travel outside of the resorts to explore what the island has to offer. So that is why the Haiti situation was an issue. I appreciate everyone's input and feel confident to go and have a great time. Does anyone have any suggestions of places we should visit outside of the resort?

Thanks for asking the question. We are going to the DR for the first time in April. We also were concerned about the Haiti situation. I had not seen DR mentioned in connection with this anywhere, but other people were trying to convince us that it wouldn't be safe. Now I know we'll have a great two weeks and we'll get out and about and see as much as we can in the two weeks.
Thanks

eastwest

Feb 3, 2004
No Worries

Martha,

Other than our flight home last Monday being delayed by the US Air Force needing the airspace to cover the US marines landing , You'd NEVER know
there was a problem on the Island. Keep in mind that the DR alone is roughly the size of the state of Maryland- with about half the roads.

You have NOTHING to worry about!

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Thanks Again

Thank you once again for your input. I am counting the days until our departure. I am glad to hear that everything is fine over there. We will be going the week of March 29th. I can't wait. After reading everyone's comments we have no fear of the situation in Haiti.
Thanks again. :

sammy85430

Mar 31, 2004
AI bashing...

I was gonna post this in another area but this seems to be as good as it gets.I am one of those AI"tourist trap"vacationers coming to the DR April 3-10.I have never been and have no idea what to expect.Ive been reading these posts and other reviews and really cant believe that someone would travel 4-8 hours on a plane and spend the ENTIRE week at their Resort!! I for one plan on taking a full day,maybe two and go to all corners of the country.I spent 14 years in the US Navy and have seen the world over.My greatest times,feelings,sorrows were spent "inside" the host country.There is NO BETTER way to experience a country than through its great people!So I entend to do that.My problem is Im just not sure how to go about it yet.Ive heard of the organized tours,buses,etc.But can I REALLY experience the DR that way.I would love to rent a car and go on my own,can Americans do that?Ive done it in Italy,Germany,Isreal and Grand Bahamas(that was strange).Or should I stick with the organized things?Anyway....Im sure I will love EVERY minute of my stay and hope those who want to come to the DR dont get turned off by some of the negative vibes on here.