Things to do in Costambar

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've used this board, actually I last visited in Feb 2003!!
I finally found some time to travel back to the DR and am leaving next week. I am staying at a friends condo in Costambar. I have never travelled to that area, nor POP (the furthest north I've been was Samana) so I am not sure what would be in Costambar and looking for your help.
Are there bars/discos in the area?
How far from POP?
How are the beaches? I know we are walking distance to the beach.
Any experiences/advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There are many bars/discos, mostly on the main road through Costambar, everything from seedy bars with hookers to pizza parlors. A nice one to check out is "Buddie's" but its not on the main road. Tuesday nights you can shoot darts at "Blackbeards," there will be a lot of Americans/Canadians there - but be advised that this is also a brothel (As you probably know, brothel and disco can often be the same thing). Puerto Plata is only like 2 or 3miles to the East, the airport is about 30 mins drive away.

Don't forget to check out Cofresi 2 miles to the west. There are a few restaurants, don't forget to check out "Chris and Mady's" and some good Austrian/German restaurants on the other side of the highway.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Just remember that the beach (I found) is not all that great - more coral etc. for my liking anyway. When I lived in Costambar, I always went to Playa Cofresi or into POP, if you do not want to be on Playa Dorada, you can always hang out at the beach right in front of Paradise Beach Resort on the malecon in POP. There is a little stand to get drinks and food right there and then you are not wandering all over Playa Dorada trying to get served without an AI bracelet on!!
Like conchman said, try out Chris & Mady's restaurant - Chris is Canadian from Winnipeg and is a good friend of mine.
Since it has been a long time since I ventured back to Costambar - I can't quite remember what restaurants and bars were there, I remember a pizza joint though. For nightlife, it is better to go into POP, try LaBarrica or Orion for the local hangouts - just remember it is pitch black in these places so be careful, or go into the Playa Dorada complex and check out the tourist discos if that would make you feel more comfortable. I have heard about a pub crawl they have now, check that out as well - I believe it operates out of Cafe Cito.
I hope that helps a little.
Marlie

Joy Seeker

Feb 3, 2004
Costambar

I will be in Costambar, begining March 5 and ending March 12. Wondering if anyone else has something to add to this thread?

Thanks