Juan Dolio I need some information

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
We have just returned home from a two week wonderful vacation in Porta Plata, but I still prefer the Juan Dolio area. I am looking for any information on the Sun Village Costa Linda.Every time I look it up, I am told it is temperarely closed. Does anyone know when it will be re opening?Yes,there are a lot very nice hotels in the area, but would love to return there.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
From the looks and sounds of things.....NEVER!

The property is in complete abandonment and is falling to pieces and very overgrown by the jungle!
Last I heard (shortly after hurricane George) was that the US company that had bought the property was in legal proceedings against the engineer who had started the repairs and update to the property then ran off with the funds allocated for same. Also the timeshare owners were taking the US company to court because they wouldn't give up their claims to the property (even tho' the units they had "contracted for the use of" no longer existed).
The US company counter claimed that the timeshare owners had an obligation to pay for the repairs necessary to give them habitable units again (to the tune of millions of US dollars).

So my advice is this ......Juan Dolio gets better every year and there are lots of nice resorts in the area. Come on down and find a "new" favorite!

We too were guests on our first trip to the DR at the Sun Village Costa Linda and we enjoyed our experience so much that we bought a condo just down the road. However the Costa Linda has died an un-natural death and resurrection is not in the near future.

Hope to see you in the area soon..................

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
thank you

MommC said:
The property is in complete abandonment and is falling to pieces and very overgrown by the jungle!
Last I heard (shortly after hurricane George) was that the US company that had bought the property was in legal proceedings against the engineer who had started the repairs and update to the property then ran off with the funds allocated for same. Also the timeshare owners were taking the US company to court because they wouldn't give up their claims to the property (even tho' the units they had "contracted for the use of" no longer existed).
The US company counter claimed that the timeshare owners had an obligation to pay for the repairs necessary to give them habitable units again (to the tune of millions of US dollars).

So my advice is this ......Juan Dolio gets better every year and there are lots of nice resorts in the area. Come on down and find a "new" favorite!

We too were guests on our first trip to the DR at the Sun Village Costa Linda and we enjoyed our experience so much that we bought a condo just down the road. However the Costa Linda has died an un-natural death and resurrection is not in the near future.

Hope to see you in the area soon..................
Thank you so much for the information.Too bad, loved that place, small enough so everything was easy to get to.But, I really enjoyed the whole area, so I am sure we will find another quaint place in the area for holidays.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Juan Dolio Hotels... not AIs

Any suggestions for quaint but nice hotels in Juan Dolio area? Not looking for the typical AI experience but somewhere nice that can be used as a home base for day trips.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Most of the hotels in Juan Dolio ARE AI's, however there

are several "Guest Houses" that rent Rooms.....albeit not up to "resort" standards but clean and comfortable and relatively inexpensive.
These include Hotel Flor di Loto (email hfdiloto@codetel.net.do), Don Pedro's,
Damar Guesthouse, Plaza Real (has contact info in the DR1 directory) as well as a couple of places that offer "flats" for which one must be in Juan Dolio to inquire about availability. For example there are one room mini-apartments with bedsitting room,kitchenette and in room bath in the Marie Michel building (see the Dutch fellow at the satellite place at Oasis for info), also above the Minimarket Naito, and above the German cafe beside Marena Beach resort.
Sorry I can't give you specific contact info for all these but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a reasonable accomodation outside an AI in Juan Dolio.
Hope this helps!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Learning Spanish was never so appealing...

I have been researching hotel prices in the Juan Dolio area for the past week. At the AI's I was being quoted a price of aprox. $80/pp/per day U.S. (minimum). Today I got a friend of mine who speaks fluent Spanish (I do speak enough Spanish to hold a conversation but would not pass as a local) to call the same places... she got an average quote of $35/pp/per day U.S. Guess who will be making my reservation for me!!! Apparently there is a "local" price and a "tourist" price for AI resorts. I am still in shock but this is a good thing because apparently I just cut my expenses for this trip in half - my friend will make my reservation and all I have to do is sign on the dotted line once I get there!!!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
I have been researching hotel prices in the Juan Dolio area for the past week. At the AI's I was being quoted a price of aprox. $80/pp/per day U.S. (minimum). Today I got a friend of mine who speaks fluent Spanish (I do speak enough Spanish to hold a conversation but would not pass as a local) to call the same places... she got an average quote of $35/pp/per day U.S. Guess who will be making my reservation for me!!! Apparently there is a "local" price and a "tourist" price for AI resorts. I am still in shock but this is a good thing because apparently I just cut my expenses for this trip in half - my friend will make my reservation and all I have to do is sign on the dotted line once I get there!!!

Now your learning! Apparently there is a "local" price and a "tourist" price for AI resorts and anything else in the country. Don't be surprised when you show up and see that you are not Dominican they may tell you a mistake was made in the price. Prices quoted on the internet are always higher than what you can negogiate in person ( or Dominican person for you) in Jaun Dolio. Plaza Real,Plaza Azul and Barcelo Colonial Tropical are good choices and reasonably priced. Colonial Tropical would include A1 for Barcelo Capella hich is across the street from it. These 3 places would put you close to shopping, resturants and also the beach is across the street from all of them. When in Jaun Dolio be sure to check out Plaza Chocolate for shopping.... Wanda's Beauty shop for a haircut,manicure,pedicure, or massage.. her shop is located at the Chocolate Plaza....there is a good jewelry store at the plaza too.. the Chocolate Bar is open all night and has live bands usually on Monday's and Wednesday's also visit Guila's Cafe on Calle Blvd. for a good meal..live music on Monday nights..great atmosphere..where the locals meet... try Buckeye Chuck's Sports bar on the corner of Calle Blvd to sit and have a cold President as you watch the action from the busy corner. Have Fun!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
dulce said:
Don't be surprised when you show up and see that you are not Dominican they may tell you a mistake was made in the price. Prices quoted on the internet are always higher than what you can negogiate in person ( or Dominican person for you) in Jaun Dolio. Plaza Real,Plaza Azul and Barcelo Colonial Tropical are good choices and reasonably priced. Colonial Tropical would include A1 for Barcelo Capella hich is across the street from it. These 3 places would put you close to shopping, resturants and also the beach is across the street from all of them.

Thanks for all that helpful info Dulce! Don't worry about the price quote... I am going to have them fax me a confirmation once the reservation is confirmed so I will have a hard copy to show them if they have selective memory. As for hotels, I was leaning towards the Barcelo Decameron... do you think the ones you listed are better and why? Also, you mentioned that the ones above are "across from the beach" and I was under the impression that they were beachfront.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
Thanks for all that helpful info Dulce! Don't worry about the price quote... I am going to have them fax me a confirmation once the reservation is confirmed so I will have a hard copy to show them if they have selective memory. As for hotels, I was leaning towards the Barcelo Decameron... do you think the ones you listed are better and why? Also, you mentioned that the ones above are "across from the beach" and I was under the impression that they were beachfront.

Calle Blvd. runs along the beachfront with the places I mentioned across the street from the beach. Decameron rooms are also across the street from the beach on The Beach Road. I prefer Barcelo Colonial Tropical because it includes the Capella all inclusive. Capella is the nicest of the Barcelo resorts in Jaun Dolio and it IS on the beach. In essence you are getting a great deal by choosing Colonial Tropical. The staff at reception at Colonial all speak English. I never had a problem with friends visiting at Colonial . (PM me for details if you are iterested.) Of course there is no problem having guests at Plaza Real or Plaza Azul since they are not A1's. Decameron has changed hands a couple of times recently and I am not sure if it still is a Barcelo resort?? I have heard conficting comments about Decameron. IF Decameron is a LOT cheaper and you are not going to spend much time there then go with it. If you want guests at Decameron you will definately have to pay. Do not get discouraged if you do not get a confirmation from any place. I have found it is not unusual for the businesses to have the same ethics for customer service that we are used to.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
dulce said:
Calle Blvd. runs along the beachfront with the places I mentioned across the street from the beach. Decameron rooms are also across the street from the beach on The Beach Road. I prefer Barcelo Colonial Tropical because it includes the Capella all inclusive. Capella is the nicest of the Barcelo resorts in Jaun Dolio and it IS on the beach. In essence you are getting a great deal by choosing Colonial Tropical. The staff at reception at Colonial all speak English. I never had a problem with friends visiting at Colonial . (PM me for details if you are iterested.) Of course there is no problem having guests at Plaza Real or Plaza Azul since they are not A1's. Decameron has changed hands a couple of times recently and I am not sure if it still is a Barcelo resort?? I have heard conficting comments about Decameron. IF Decameron is a LOT cheaper and you are not going to spend much time there then go with it. If you want guests at Decameron you will definately have to pay. Do not get discouraged if you do not get a confirmation from any place. I have found it is not unusual for the businesses to have the same ethics for customer service that we are used to.

Thanks again Dulce! I will check out the prices of the Capella to see if they are close. You have mentioned about guests coming to visit me at the hotel? I will be coming with a friend and we don't plan on bringing any guests back to the hotel with us so that is not a concern :)