Canadian Health Coverage in Jeopardy

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
In doing my research for moving to the DR, I have inquired with OHIP to see what the stipulations are for maintaining coverage in Canada while living abroad (despite the numberous posts about this I wanted to check it out myself). I thought this would be of interest to some others and this is not the information that I have found posted elsewhere on this site (perhaps there have been recent changes).

If you are living abroad and it is not for the purposes of work, study or missionary work, you are considered to be on vacation. When leaving Canada for "vacation" ), you will maintain coverage when you return as long as you return within 7 months (212 days) and as long as you have maintained full-time living in status for the preceeding two years prior to departure. Therefore, if you are absent longer than 7 months your coverage will stop and will not resume until 3 months following your return to Canada on full-time residency. Also, you CANNOT return to Canada every 7 months and maintain your status (which I have seen posted many times). Once you have been gone past 7 months ... that's it folks until you return and then have to wait 3 months for coverage to kick in again.

OHIP told me that you should report to them prior to your departure that you will be absent and when you will be returning. When you do report to them sometimes they will grant you an extension past the 7 months up to 1 year.

If you think you can travel undetected... think again! I asked "well what if we don't notify you and just leave and return whenever we want to get health coverage". I was told that if they find out (and they have their ways -eg. your passport is scanned every time you re-enter the country) they will cut off your coverage for 2 years. At the end of the two years you will have to reapply and then wait the 3 month waiting period.

Therefore is no such thing as living abroad (permanently or longer than 7 months) and maintaining your health coverage in Canada at the same time!

Hope this helps some other people with the same question.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Glad you cleared that up, Fiesta Mama.
As I told you, I moved to the DR 11 years ago, and at that time, you were allowed to stay not past 6 months, cross the border (for at least 48 hours) and your health coverage would stay in tact. My parents had a home in Florida , and once retired had to do the same as me by returning every 6 months.
So, sorry for the misleading info, as now I see things have changed in the past few years.
Marlie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fiesta Mama, please clarify a couple of points. I am not Canadian, but I have Canadian friends who I know will be very interested in this thread.

1. If a Canadian accepts employment outside of Canada, at what frequency, if any, must he return in order to maintain his benefits. Since you differenciated between vacation and working abroad, I'm assuming there are less stringent rules for missionaries, students, and persons employed in another country.

2. I know a number of Canadians who own property in the DR and property in Canada. They spend every winter here and every summer in Canada. Can I assume there is no problem for these people if they spend less than 7 months during the winter season?

3. What is the minimum amount of time that must be spent in Canada between 7 month absences?

4. What about a Canadian who marries a Dominican, or native of any other country, and leaves Canada to live with his/her spouse. Is this person able to maintain his/her Canadian benefits?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Fiesta Mama, please clarify a couple of points. I am not Canadian, but I have Canadian friends who I know will be very interested in this thread.

1. If a Canadian accepts employment outside of Canada, at what frequency, if any, must he return in order to maintain his benefits. Since you differenciated between vacation and working abroad, I'm assuming there are less stringent rules for missionaries, students, and persons employed in another country.

2. I know a number of Canadians who own property in the DR and property in Canada. They spend every winter here and every summer in Canada. Can I assume there is no problem for these people if they spend less than 7 months during the winter season?

3. What is the minimum amount of time that must be spent in Canada between 7 month absences?

4. What about a Canadian who marries a Dominican, or native of any other country, and leaves Canada to live with his/her spouse. Is this person able to maintain his/her Canadian benefits?

Don't take these answers as the gospel but I will relay what my understanding was from the person I spoke to at OHIP (just this morning). I don't know the answer for sure to #1 because it didn't apply to me so I didn't ask many details once I found out I would be considered on vacation. All I know is that there must be some difference because the lady asked me why I would be out of the country and whether it was for work, etc. and once she determined my situation would be considered a vacation she gave me the information I relayed.

#2 - there is no problem splitting your time between Canada and the DR as long as you are out of Canada less than 7 months. Therefore if they are say in the DR for 6 months and then back in Canada for 6, that's fine.

#3 - the way I understood it, if you are gone for 7 months and return prior to that expiring you have to then stay in Canada for 5 months before leaving again for an extended period.

#4 - if you move to another country to reside as your permanent residence, you are giving up your OHIP coverage (it does not matter if you have married someone or not, you are now considered a full-time resident of that country). I specifically asked this question because it will apply to me should I stay beyond 7 months.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in Toronto the number for this information is (416) 314-7444. If you are not here, let me know if you h ave any other questions and I can always call and find out for you. Hope that helps.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Fiesta Mama. I am from the US and live in Sosua, but I have Canadian friends who will be very interested in the information.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hello everyone

me I come from montreal so in quebec.I take the information about the healt care because I come for one year in april.
1- you can leave the quebec for 183 day (6 month) in the year and dont lose your healt care
2- one year is 1 january to 31 december
3- one time on 7 year you can leave for one year and don t lose your healt care

exemple: me i leave in april for one year so I dont lose my healtcare because is the first time and when I coming back in april 05 I can go outside the country for 2 more month but I can go outside the country for more then 6 month before 2011.
caro

Ontario

You must be in the province for 153 days of any 12 month period. Therefore you could stay in Ontario for the first 53 days of the year, go to the DR and return for the last 100 days of the year, to make things simple.
153 days is almost 22 weeks.
May 1st thru September 30th is exactly 153 days, stay in Ontario for these days and spend the rest in the DR, looks like some government official did some thinking for a change when they set the rule up.

El Palillo

Feb 23, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Ken or anyone else, it depends what Province people are from. OHIP is for Ontario Health Insurance Plan and I'm not sure if all provinces have the same rules but Check here for Ontario
Correct about the differences between provinces.Ontario is one of the lucky ones in which health care after a certain amount of time as a resident is free.Being from the other side of the country(British Columbia)me and the family are not so lucky I currently pay 108.00 per month for a family of four.It's free if you make under 12 000 per year -and so it should be this is poverty level.I would also like to add that contrary to what many non Canucks may think I personally find the health care system within my province to be painfully slow for the most simple of things and in many ways substandard as compared to the U.S for example.Thanks for the OHIP info though I will be needing to look into the specifics of B.C med soon as I will be in a similar situation.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
BD Medical

I'd have to agree with El Palillo - seems like a mute point if you have to wait 6-8 months for an MRI in the Canadian system. I think there's better bang for the buck getting the DR insurance (with an evac clause for the people that ride as fast as El Palillo).

BigD

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Fiesta Mama's investigation of her OHIP status is a product of a long and difficult decision making process. All the best to her in her relocation to be with her fiance in the DR. OHIP and Citizenship status for Canada are difficult things to give up when leaving. What would be of great value for this thread is to recieve Fiesta Mama's research on her future status as a Canadian Citizen, should she decide to try and keep the frame work of her native country as part of her present situation.
Many Canadians have posted that they would like to move to the DR, posting current information is the most benificial way to help others.

If I may ask Fiesta Mama, have you contacted or considered contacting an immigration lawyer? Should your fall back position be returning to Canada (with your DR spouse) this contact in Canada may be of tremendous use.
As you have indicated in another thread, you will be seeking employment when you arrive in the DR. Could you not seek this employment in advance from Canada then after getting a position get a letter of employment then seek a business travel visa? This may delay somewaht your plans but may give you the flexibily you need to keep some of the OHIP issues at bay.
There is also clauses for mission work or volunteer work that may be of interest. You will gain the freedom of a missionary visa, help a local community mission(short term) project, learn more spanish and give you the time to formallize your decision making with your fiance. No pay, but the time and experience to evaluate your decisions in the DR.
Picking up and moving is no easy feat. But as others have indicated , your story is of interest to many who are in the moving process.
Please continue to share. Toby

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
TOBY: She is not giving up her citizenship. Canada allows dual citizenship. The only way to not be a citizen anymore is to renounce your citizenship in writing. If you leave Canada and become the resident(working,paying taxes, or retired) of another Country and you stay beyond what your Canadian Medicare coverage is, it only means that should you come back to Canada you will need to reapply and wait 3 months before coverage. In the interim you get private medical coverage(blue cross...etc) to cover you until OHIP
(or another provincial plan) kicks in. By the way for all you Americans...etc that think Canadian provincial medical plans are free, they aren't. You pay a monthly fee, with your employer picking up 1/2, usually.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Hlywud said:
You must be in the province for 153 days of any 12 month period. Therefore you could stay in Ontario for the first 53 days of the year, go to the DR and return for the last 100 days of the year, to make things simple.
153 days is almost 22 weeks.
May 1st thru September 30th is exactly 153 days, stay in Ontario for these days and spend the rest in the DR, looks like some government official did some thinking for a change when they set the rule up.

Dear Hlywud, Your voice of experience is a breath of fresh air. You knowledge base as a Canadian "Snow Goose" and how you have structured your stays in the DR would be of great interest to those who are considering a similar residency situation. You may in past postings have given your history and perspective but a repeat in this thread may be of considerable help to persons like "Fiesta Mama" and others who are in the process of relocating either long term or short term.
If possible please share your experiences as to your residency status, your choices and why, and relavent experiences dealing with Canadian issues or problems.
Your experienced voice and frequent contributions to this forum, and clear writing style conveys information in the best way possible. Please share your views, there will be many who will listen and learn. Toby

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:confused: When did Wud move to the DR??? He lives in Ontario but I will let him tell you all about it.

If you read the link I posted you too will know how long you can be away from ONTARIO without losing your ONTARIO HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN.

Here is the link in rough form in case you don't know what underlined words mean.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/eligibility.html

And like Bob said you never lose your Canadian citizenship unless you renounce it in writing. Don't confuse Health Insurance and being a Canadian Citizen.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
bob saunders said:
TOBY: She is not giving up her citizenship. Canada allows dual citizenship. The only way to not be a citizen anymore is to renounce your citizenship in writing.

Bob, I hope this is the case and "Fiesta Mama" choses the dual citizenship option. There are many however who may chose otherwise and have done so. The current brain drain in Canada is testament to the number of persons who make the choice to leave Canada and thier Citizenship behind.

You are absolutely correct in the information given and a great source of information as per your frequent posts. This may need to be one of those split threads and the new topic could be titled "Canadians in the DR. What it takes and what to take with you!" May be some facinating reading...
I for one would love to read about the Canadians in the DR and thier lifestyles!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
No user fees for OHIP...

First in response to Bob, there are no user fees for OHIP in Ontario. I am not familiar with the regulations in other provinces but in Ontario no one pays for health coverage. The only things that OHIP does not cover are such things as elective surgery (plastic surgery done for cosmetic reasons only), prescription drugs (except to those on goverment assistance or the elderly, who cannot afford them - but most companies do offer this benefit to their employees), eye glasses or contact prescriptions, etc. It is not like in the U.S. where many companies include a health coverage plan as part of their employee benefits. That is one of the huge benefits of living here. Also, as the B.C. poster stated, there are sometimes waits for things such as heart operations, etc. but in Ontario not to the extent suggested. My father has undergone several heart operations, including a triple heart bypass, and has never had to wait more than a couple of months for the operations. I do see the benefit though of a system such as in the U.S. where you can pay (or have your insurer pay) to get you in right away. There are pluses and minuses to both systems.

As Bob indicated, I am not giving up my Canadian citizenship and never will. I have contacted an immigration lawyer regarding my situation and have received some very helpful information. I have also called Immigration Canada(about 20 times... thank God I don't have to give my name or they would think I was insane), who I found more helpful since they are not trying to solicit you as a client. I have decided that if I do decide to return to Canada with my fiance once we are married, I will not be using the services of a lawyer. If you read all the forms carefully and call Canadian Immigration when you have questions, it should be fine. The expense of a lawyer just adds to the stress of the whole situation. Also, I think if you use a lawyer it looks more like a scam from the government's point of view and you are not in control of your situation. Since I will be living in the DR and commencing the sponsorship process from there should we choose that route, I will have the advantage of being in the country where all of the processing, medical appointments, police search, etc. are done so I will be very diligent about following up on how the paperwork is progressing.

For now I have decided to buy out of the country health insurance for the first 6 months. I don't want to get a job before going because I think I have decided to not work for the first few months to get myself oriented in my new surroundings and to be able to spend some quality time with my fiance and his family. After that I can always do volunteer or missionary work (good suggestion) or look hard for a paying job if need be.

I will definitely keep the information coming regarding anything useful that I may find out for anyone else going through this process. It's long and stressful if someone could benefit from my experience, I am more than happy to share.

Believe me I have insecurities about this whole process every day (giving up my job, etc.) but that's all part of the process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Quote :First in response to Bob, there are no user fees for OHIP in Ontario. I am not familiar with the regulations in other provinces but in Ontario no one pays for health coverage

Your employer pays 1.95 % of wages to the government. For those who have health insurance in the DR, WHAT do you pay?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
bob saunders said:
Quote :First in response to Bob, there are no user fees for OHIP in Ontario. I am not familiar with the regulations in other provinces but in Ontario no one pays for health coverage

Your employer pays 1.95 % of wages to the government. For those who have health insurance in the DR, WHAT do you pay?

Same in Ontario Bob. It's the employer that has to pay that percentage to the Province for all employees. Most people may not even know that.Those that are not employees, not working or retired get the same coverage.

Good question what do people pay for health insurance when living in the DR?

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
A friend of Mine......

A friend of mine from Ontario says you are over-reacting....he stays in D.R. for periods far over the months etc. etc..still gets his OHIP when he goes back, Immigration and OHIP have no intercommunication, so why worry..He pays for his doctors, treatment whilst here, which is reasonable, also...you can contact OHIP when you are leaving the country and notify them when you return....no lose of coverage no matter how long you are out of the country, and it starts the day you re-enter Canada..Can you imagine someone manually entering all the immigration cards each night into a computer to show how long you have been out of Canada even if you are truthfull. doesnt happen.....Cheers . M.