Santiago attorney Rafael Escoto

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Hi Everyone,

As you probably noticed already I am new to the forum. I have seen all the helpful responses that other poster's have received and I'm hoping you guys can help me out too. I'm trying to find out if anyone has used an immigration lawyer in Santiago by the name of Rafael Escoto. Basically I'd like to know if you or someone you know considers him to be an effective and reputable attorney.

Thanks
CALLI

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have heard that this man is a shameless thief. Take a good look at his face. Have you ever seen a "good" person with a face like that?

Specifically, he is known for taking people's money and doing nothing for them. Give him my regards.

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Wow,
I really didn't expect that. I've heard of tons of people waiting hours in his office to see him. I thought it was because he was so good. Someone told me that he has some connections with the consulate. They said someone they know had a problem getting a visa to the US. And he sent the person back to the consulate and all the guy did was mention Mr Escoto's name and they rushed him right thru and he got his visa. I even heard something about him working in the US with the FBI. I'm not sure if that's something he goes around telling people or if it's just a case of people saying that on their own.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Well he talks a good talk. He took some money from my wife quite a few years ago to work on a visa problem she had and never did a thing, she could never get ahold of him after that and he pretty much just took the money and ran.

He is a typical "buscon" I am sure has had some connections and maybe still does but he is not reputable or ethical. In any case I am pretty sure the FBI doesn't issue visas, and both Noriega and Hussein are people who at one time could have boasted numerous powerful contacts in the US, this doesn't make them good.

There is a collections attorney in Santiago by the name of Persio de al Cruz that I am having the same problems with, (though not with visa issues) this seems to happen alot with attorneys down here.

(Sorry, Hillbilly, I don't have a picture of him)

S

Stephen

I have a question...........

I have never used an attorney for any problems related to obtaining Visa's etc., but I read alot on this site and would like to make a few comments and see what responses I get. I realize that there MAY be a few good lawyers in the DR, (ie Fabio etc). but ..........

1. I know of many lawyers in the POP area that just steal peoples money and never do anything for them.

2. I know of at least 3 lawyers in POP that have tried to get visa's to both the US and England and have been denied time after time.

3. I have had dealings with the embassy and do know some people there that say "more or less" that they don't give any importance to someone being a lawyer in the DR since they are "nothing" compared to what a lawyer in the US is. Basically they are notary publics, which are a dime a dozen in the states.

SO.............., if lawyers can't get visa's and the embassy personnel don't consider them a "legit profession"............WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK THAT A DOMINICAN LAWYER WOULD HAVE ANY INFLUENCE IN OBTAINING A VISA FOR THEM????

MAYBE I'M WRONG.....AND I DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND......but...........

Comments please?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
What face?

Hb
I may be reading a lot in to HB's posting, but my impression is that the individual in question has no face. Once you fill his hand, you'll not see his face again. :smoke:
mk

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Stephen

I know you shouldn't answer a question with a question but...It has been said that the people at the US consulate think of all Dominicans as the lowest of the low regardless to their profession. Say you want a visa. Someone tells you they can get you an appointment with someone who doesn't feel that way to look at your papers to see how you can qualify for a visa rather than you ending up with someone who is looking for how they can disqualify you for a visa. What would you do?

S

Stephen

I understand.........

I understand your problem, but there are visa's that are being given to Dominicans every day.......maybe only a small percentage, but I would think that the use of a "dominican lawyer" would only HURT your chances.

I personally think that if you explained your situation to many of the people that post on this site, you'd probably get more advise as to how to prepare yourself for a visa appointment than you would by paying someone and just having someone just steal your money.

People are learning things on this site all the time. Timex just showed everyone how to prepare for domestic help visa's etc. and he was successful with just his own research which I am sure was time consuming, but it was done.

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Stephen said:
if you explained your situation to many of the people that post on this site, you'd probably get more advise as to how to prepare yourself for a visa appointment than you would by paying someone and just having someone just steal your money.

I'm not going to go into the whole story because this has been a very traumatic ordeal for us. We aren't seeking out an attorney to help us with dotting the i's and crossing the t's.I just didn't want my husband to have to deal with someone who thinks it's appropriate behavior to laugh in front of a person and turn to a co-worker and say he's not going anywhere.There's nothing funny about someone being seperated from their family regardless to the reason why.You may not think he has the right to come to the US but there should be no question on whether or not he has the right to be treated with dignity.I can't believe that a representative of my country would lack the professionalism that should be required when dealing with everyone who walks into the consulate.Because of our experience with this person at the consulate someone had recommended that we retain Mr Escoto and that's why I decided to inquire about his ethics.We have also heard from other people who have had similiar experiences.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now I Know Who You Mean!!! Yikes!!

This is a man that bills himself as an expert on US immigration law and as a United States lawyer. I have asked him if he is licensed to practice law in the US and I do not get an answer. He "says" he is "un abogado norteamericano" ...Which is a crock...

He is on TV giving advice and he writes regularly in the La Informaci?n on immigration issues.

I would not go to him for anything, but that is just me and I have at least "known" him for nearly thirty years!!!!!

HB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I have heard of a lawyer called Yadira Morel (a woman) who works out of Santo Domingo who supposedly is pretty good, but I don't have any direct experience with her. She has a TV show where she talks about visa issues as well - I have even seen some of it and she seems pretty realistic and not full of false promises like most of the money-grubbing buscones who call themselves lawyers and promise the world for cash up front.

Her claim to fame is helping Fefita la Grande work through some kind of a visa problem that would otherwise have had her visa cancelled (and rightfully so)

She is expensive and appointments have to be made several months in advance, but apparently effective.

A quick search for information on her turned up this link, not necessarily on topic but there is a picture...

http://www.listin.com.do/antes/enero03/040103/domingo/dom8.htm

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Hillbilly said:
He is on TV giving advice and he writes regularly in the La Informaci?n on immigration issues.

HB

I have heard something about him having a TV program which you would think that would validate him as a legitimit attorney. Not that I am doubting anything that you and MrMike have said. I'm just trying to make heads and tails of things. Why would a TV program and newspaper employ the advise of someone who is not qualified. That's actually doing a disservice to the very people their trying to help.

MrMike,
Thank you for the article link. I'm gonna give it to my husband. I can't read spanish.Both you and HB have been very helpful, I truly do appreciate it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
callik said:
Why would a TV program and newspaper employ the advise of someone who is not qualified. That's actually doing a disservice to the very people their trying to help.

As Ayn Rand said, "when faced with an apparent contradiction, check your premises for one of them is wrong" (not word for word)

You are uperating under the premise that TV stations, Newspapers and lawyers want to help people and perform some useful service for someone other than themselves when this is not the case.

Latin American newspapers are about an equal parts mix of gossip, political *** kissing and filling whatever space wasn't taken up by the first two.

Mr. Escoto's column is probably the later.

TV stations here are generally in the format called "program supplier supported" meaning you pay to have your TV show on the air and then sell your own advertising space. (As opposed to american networks, where the station buys the show and books it's own advertising) Anybody with the money to slap down can have a TV show here, (about RD$50k/wk in Santiago - probably getting cheaper) just turn on the TV sometime and watch some local shows and you'll see that it certainly isn't brains, talent or good looks that got these people on the air.

My Godfather who died a couple of years ago trusted his money and finances stuff to Rafael Escoto and Persio -whatever the last name is- and I know for a fact that even they were friends all three for a lifetime they scammed him with his money, so those are lawyers that I definitely would NOT trust.

Now about Yadira Morel -I know her personally since she was married with my cousin- she knows a lot about inmigration issues and she has proven to be a real good lawyer when she worked -I believe in NY- as a Inmigration laws adviser.

:bunny: *Virginia* :bunny:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
In a sad way I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who's had bad experiences with these two, I guess to make the unholy trinity complete for Santiago lawyers it would be fair to mention Dr. Liranzo (don't know his first name) who has a women's clinic across from UTESA and also owns all the commercial property on the side of the street opposite UTESA.

Terrible preson to work with, rented a commercial location from him and it was the worse business relationship I have ever had in my life. He even pulled his gun out at me more than once when I complained that he wouldn't turn on the generator when the power was out. He said the generator was for emergency light and he would decide what was an emergency and what wasn't.

Known in some circles of Santiago as "the butcher" he is probably the most evil business person in Santiago not already in jail. (he is both a doctor and a lawyer, but does not practice law that I know of, he seems to prefer gynecology so he can screw his clients more directly)

callik

Feb 24, 2004
VirginiaGomes,

I'm sorry to hear about what these people have done to your family but I appreciate you sharing your story.There should be a special thread where people tell of their experiences with lawyers good and bad.

MrMike said:
In a sad way I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who's had bad experiences with these two, I guess to make the unholy trinity complete for Santiago lawyers it would be fair to mention Dr. Liranzo (don't know his first name) who has a women's clinic across from UTESA and also owns all the commercial property on the side of the street opposite UTESA.
Is he the guy who owns the Plaza Isabel Emilia or something like that?

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
visa help

I need some advice. I have had a hearing aid project in the DR since 1998 that grew out of my volunteer work with Orphanage Outreach. We have provided and fit about 1250 hearing aids in that time. I have a Dominican friend who I've known since I started visiting the country in 1996. I've trained him to make earmolds and he is very good. I want to bring him to this country for further training so he could do everything. However, the consulate told me unless he had a steady job in the DR he would never get a visa to come to the states for training. I said if he had a steady job in the DR he wouldn't need to come to the states but that didn't go anywhere. Any ideas on getting a visitor's visa?
Earlady

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Earlady

You may get more responses if you start a new thread. Some people may not take a second look at this one to see your question.