moving to Santo Domingo

IA70

Feb 25, 2004
My wife and I are in the planninig stages to move to Santo Domingo. She will be working as a missionary. What do we need to know about importing our furniture, car, personal items. I have located a shipping agent but have not been in discussion with them at this point.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, importing cars and furniture is not advisable. You will be opening the door to a great deal of frustration, anxiety, expense, and disappointment. For example, see this and pick out the threads that have to do with importing http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=30807

Every regular on this board, most of whom live in the DR, will tell you the same: Sell your cars and furniture and replace them in the DR.

However, you mention that your wife will be working as a missionary. Perhaps her church has been able to make special arrangements for importing furniture, etc., that are not available to others. You should investigate this. However, if you find that there are no special arrangements, then I strongly recommend that you don't import.