travel from sosua to samana

bert

Feb 15, 2004
we plan a two week visit beginning next week, what are our options for travel from the POP region to samana, las galeras and/or las terrenas

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP/Sosua to La Samana

There is a Caribe tour bus that leaves Sosua everyday at 7:30 AM to La Samana. It's quite comfortable, albeit a bit too cold at times, and gets there in approx. 4 hours. It costs less than 10 bucks.
It must leave POP just before 7 AM.
Then there's renting a car or motorbike. (driving here demands special precautions)
You can hire taxis. (A bit expensive)
Public transport. (Too long and uncomfortable for that distance)
Private jet. (if you're stinking rich and please bring me along)
Regards, Marco.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To get to Las Galeras, take the Caribe Tours bus all the way to Samana, then take a taxi or a guagua (public transportation) to Las Galeras.

If going to Las Terrenas instead of Las Galeras, buy a ticket to Sanchez, the town before Samana. Vehicles meet the buses and provide transportation over the mountain to Las Terrenas.

The price from Sosua to Samana will be about US$4/person.

When returning from Samana, the Caribe Tours bus leaves Samana at 4pm and Sanchez about 20 minutes later.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
We did this trip (Sosua to Sanchez and then taxi to Las Terrenas) in December. We found it very comfortable and convenient (and CHEAP). The buses are similar to a greyhound or voyageur, but with a little more wear and tear.

I know I have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. If you get up to use the washroom, hangon tight to anything that you can get a hold of at ALL TIMES. I failled to do this, and if my husband hadn't been standing up to let me into the window seat and grabbed me, I really could have gone flying. As it was, I stubbed my toe and cracked the nail about half way down. (try walking around in sandals or flip flops without flexing your big toe LOL).

I really enjoy the ride to Samana. I spend the whole time with my nose pressed against the window.

The ride from Sanchez to Las Terrenas is BREATHTAKING (in so many senses of the word). My personal favorite is the German castle that is being built on top of a big hill.

Depending on where you are staying, I would suggest that you make arrangements to have them have a driver meet you to take you to Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. Less confusion and you are more likely to get a good price and a reliable and safe driver.

Rose

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
German Castle???

Sorry rmary, there is no such thing as a German castle being built.
What you refer to, is the modern ruin of a construction which a Dominican lawyer intended to have set up.
Yes, there is a certain link to Germany and the lawyer's
brain. But that?s a different story ...
M?frog

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Mountainfrog,

I was just going by what the big sign said and an admittedly faulty memory. I "thought" I saw some construction actually being done, but again, I could well be mistaken. It is still a pretty interesting sight to see.

Rose