Questions about Puerto Plata Village & Puerto Plata itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and have read with great interest a number of the threads. A lot of information contained in this forum.

I was wondering if anyone who has stayed at the Puerto Plata Village could give me some feedback on the water situation. I understand that they don't provide free bottled water - the hotel advised that they provide one bottle in your room when you check in and then you can have it refilled at any bar or restaurant. This sounds very inconvenient to me as one should drink 8 - 10 bottles of water a day.

Can anyone tell me what kind of water they refill your bottle with? I'm guessing it's distilled water and I wonder how safe that is. I know bottled water is the best choice to be sure you don't get sick but I don't want to have to purchase 8 - 10 bottles a day.

Can anyone tell me how much it is to purchase a bottle of water in the DR (in US$$)?

I'm now worring about whether the distilled water they likely fill the bottle with is safe and I'm now worried about not having easy access to drinkable water.

If you ask the maid to leave extra bottles of water, will she?

On another note, can anyone tell me the best way to get into the town itself - bus, taxi, walking? I've read that it's very safe to go to town during the day and I am travelling by myself so just wondered the best way to get to town and back. Is it easy to get to town and back by bus?

Thank you very much. In addition to the above, if anyone has other info on the Puerto Plata Village they'd like to share with me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,
BnJJ

Dec 9, 2002
Bottles? :confused: Surely you mean glasses?

Best way to go into POP is to walk out of the complex and get a guagua on the main road. If you are worried about going out at night alone, befriend one of the barmen or waiters, and ask them to take you out. Just be aware that you will be expected to pay for transport/drinks.

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
No, I meant bottles. The resort said bottles. Not that you answered my question...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sute that the

Hotel will supply you with bottled water. What they meant was that the bar or the restaurant would fill your bottle for fuyou for free...

And I am sure that you can purchase bottles of water in town or near the complex for just a few pesos each for the small ones. Cost is perhaps $5,6 7 pesos? But not much more.

HB

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks, Hillbilly. I just hope they refill it with bottled or distilled water and not tap water.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
They refill your bottles with distilled water that is safe - do you think they want all their guests ill and to never come back!!! They also wash the lettuce and veggies etc in "good" water to ensure their guests do not get sick. You can buy bottled water at the complex in Playa Dorada, although I am not sure how much it costs. Believe me, any cost is well worth it - you do not want to spend your vacation in the lavatory!!
I think it would be unfair to ask your maid to go against hotel policy and bring you more water, this could result in a suspension for her if she was caught. Instead, ask to speak to the Food & Beverage Manager or even Sr. Colon (sp) - he is the owner - and explain your situation. I am sure if you go through the proper channels - they will bend over backwards to help you out. I know when I worked there and Sr. Fernando Colmenares was the F& B Manager, he would have certainly accommodated you and I am sure whoever has taken his place will do the same. Puerto Plata Village is a great resort, and customer satisfaction is high priority.
If you want to go into town during the day, you can take a guagua at the main gates - but are you a little squeamish and can you speak a little Spanish? If you don't know where to get off, you may be driving around on the bus for awhile. The bus can be a little intimidating if you are expecting a bus similar to a public transit system in Canada or the US. Find out what bus (A or B - since I can't remember) goes to the city centre (zoccola) and then take that one. At the centre you can pretty well walk around from there and see the sights. In fact, Sr. Colmenares has a little bar in the main square (or has he moved from there - Grahame do you know?)
Another thought if you are worried about going into town alone, befriend other people staying at the resort and plan a trip into town together.
Anyway, just leave all your worries behind and enjoy your trip. There are plenty of excursions you can book, there is the complex you can go for your shopping (albeit expensive), plenty of nightlife throughout the hotels, and you will enjoy the atmosphere at POP Village, and like I said - explain to the Food and Beverage Manager about needing more water and I am sure you will make out fine.
Marlie

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks for all the info Marlie.

In many of the trip reports I've read about other hotels in PP people said that the maids would leave additional water bottles if you asked them to. That is why I asked.

Since the bus is apparently confusing (I'm not surprised to hear that) perhaps it is best to take a taxi into town and back.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, I am sure it would be possible for your maid bring you more water at some resorts but since you already asked the resort and they told you to have your bottles refilled and had not mentioned to you to just ask your maid for more water, I would think that it is not normal procedure. So, that is why I stated that if you made arrangements with the F & B Mgr, then you are taking the proper channels and not getting a poor unsuspecting maid into trouble. If she thinks that she will get a better tip in the end for getting you more water, she may take the chance.
As for the guagua, I didn't mean to scare you, they are the most economical way to get into town. If you do decide to take a taxi, do not have the hotel arrange for one, walk out to the gates and negotiate one from there. Forgive me, I can't remember what people have said the going rate is, but I am sure if you do a search - you will find the info.
I guess I just felt that you may be a little hesitant about things, and I thought I should clarify that the bus service is not like back home. If you are adventurous and feel relaxed about the trip, take the bus - ask one of the hotel staff which bus to take and go for it, it truly is an experience.
Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Marlie

rymon

Mar 1, 2004
Resteraunt in POP or area

My wife and I will be staying at POP Village, and we have some friends staying at Casa Marina Reef near Sosua. Does anyone know how far this is approximately? Also we would like to meet up for a meal in POP or somewhere else that would be good. We're looking for recommendations of good places to go. Thanks! Ryan.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
rymon said:
My wife and I will be staying at POP Village, and we have some friends staying at Casa Marina Reef near Sosua. Does anyone know how far this is approximately? Also we would like to meet up for a meal in POP or somewhere else that would be good. We're looking for recommendations of good places to go. Thanks! Ryan.

Maybe about 20 minutes...

Tom

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
FYI - Rymon and wife are already in POP - left on Tuesday - they got the info they needed so no one needs to respond to his questions now.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
The water the hotel supplies is safe, and it is usually in large botles (the kind with a handle) and it is EASILY refilled by you. IF your maid does this favour for you please remember to leave a little extra for her when you leave. And that would be 8-10 GLASSES per day....otherwise your whole trip will be spent searching for washrooms.

The bus is easy. Note that unlike other busses the way to get them to stop is either by pounding on the window/side or by yelling out Leave us here - in spanish = Deja me aqui por favor.

It's a nice ride through P Plata - when you see a spot that looks interesting - just get off and walk. People will help with directions and there will also be some that want to be your 'friend' or tourguide. Be prepared to give 'em money of you let them tag along.

Relax - DR is great.

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks hollywoodnorth, I didn't realize the bottles were so large and am glad to hear that they hold a fair amount of water.

After reading many posts about getting around by bus, I am a little less worried about going to town and back. I'm sure all will be fine when I get there.

My newest worry is that I won't be able to do many excursions, etc. while there during Easter week, though I've read many differing posts on the matter. Some say very little regarding catamaran trips, etc., is affected, other posts say everthing shuts down. I don't know which is accurate.

Thanks again for the info on the water and the bus.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Tom_in_Ottawa said:
Maybe about 20 minutes...

Tom

Some of the best food in the world is served at the Victorian House restaurants in Sosua. It's a five minute walk from Casa Marina. And there are many other fine restaurants in Sosua. I don't know anything about Puerto Plata.

Status
Not open for further replies.