Bugs/Sand fleas. Dangerous?

L

Loula

Hi,

Is it true that these Sand Fleas can not be seen/are invisible, bite like hell, leave a worm (!) under your skin and are hard to get rid of? Where are they? In the sand? How can I protect myself? What's the best to do if once bitten? Thanks for your help.

M

Martine

Yes there are sand fleas and they are almost invisible. Anywhere you have sand, you normally have fleas. The beaches in the tourist areas are kept clean so there should not be a problem. Your best protection though is to wear shoes/sandals, even on the beach and to bring bug spray (OFF and the like). I was bitten by sand fleas in Cuba and although my foot was very sore and extremely swollen for several days, I had no after effects. I did have it checked out by a doctor on my return to Canada just to be certain. Bring a topical antibiotic (Polysporin, Neosporin) just in case of bites and scratches. If anything serious develops, do like you would do at home, see a doctor. Enjoy your vacation.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Bugs/Sand fleas. Dangerous? No.

Sand fleas are tiny but they can be seen. They are less than 1/8" long. The live in the sand and feed on organic and decaying plant material such as seaweed washed up on the beach. They jump up to 20 inches. They mostly come out in the very early morning hours or at dusk, when it is cooler.

Sand Flea, amphipod crustacean also called sand hopper, beach flea, or beach hopper. The common sand flea is found on the Atlantic coast of the Americas from Canada to Argentina, and also on the coast of Europe. Laterally compressed and less than 1.2 cm (less than 0.5 in) long, they leap by bending the body together and throwing it open with a sudden jerk, springing forward a distance several times the length of the body by means of their body segment, the taillike telson. The chigoe, a true flea, is also called a sand flea.

Chigoe, common name for a burrowing, biting, tropical American flea. It is sometimes also called jigger, jigger flea, or, improperly, chigger, although a chigger is a mite, a different kind of animal pest. Chigoes are smaller than common fleas but otherwise resemble them. The fertile female burrows under the skin of humans and animals and becomes engorged with blood and eggs, causing a painful and sometimes dangerous pea-sized ulcer to form. Chigoes particularly attack the skin of the feet.

Protect yourself by wearing shoes, socks, and long pants after dark or staying off the beach after dark and avoid beach areas that have decaying organic debris. Some say that DEET repels them (main ingredient in most insect repellents such as OFF!). Treat bites as you would any insect bite - clean with soap and water and if necessary, apply an antibiotic/antiseptic ointment. Hydrocortizone (such as Cortaid) or a mild Ammonium Hydroxide solution (After-Bite product) might help alleviate itching.

I spend all day most every day in the DR on the beaches and have never been bothered by them. Most beaches are cleaned and raked daily of organic debris, where they feed. Mosquitos sometimes get me, but not sand fleas. Mosquito season follows the rains, mostly September - November.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

D

Dan

I lived 18 years in the Dominican Republic and went to the beach quite often. I have never been bitten or known of anyone else who has been bitten by sand fleas.

L

Loula

Re: Thanks! Bugs/Sand fleas. Dangerous? No.

Jim,

I bow in the dust (not sand). Thanks for a very informed reply.

P

Phyllis

Re: Bugs/Sand fleas. Dangerous? No.

Hey Jim, I've been reading your responses for months.. and I'm impressed... send me an email and tell me about yourself, can we meet when I'm in PP July 3-10?? psarault@hotmail.com

M

Mike

Can 'OFF' be purchased in the DR or is it wise to source it before departure. Does anyone know if it is available in the UK?

J

Jim Hinsch

OFF! is the brand name used to market a variety of repellent products, each with varying levels of DEET and mixed with other stuff to make lotions, sunscreen, etc. They have the equivalent (any products with the same percentage of DEET is essentially the same product, varying only by inert ingredients), but it will be cheaper to bring it from home.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

D

Diane

Re: Bugs/Sand fleas.

Hi Everyone, Sand fleas ah yes, I remember those! I was in Florida when I got attacked.... I stayed in a condo that had wall to wall carpet. I don't know if they were living in the carpet or I picked them up at the beach but boy or boy did I SCRATCH. I was bitten eveywhere on my body - everywhere. My forehead swelled up and I just couldn't stop scratching the rest of the week I was there - had to cut my long manicured fingernails because I was scratching until I bled ! After almost 5 years since the incident, I still have scars on my ankles. Bugs, any kind, just love me. I didn't have any further effects from them except the red skin and constant iching. I tried everything to relieve myself and the polysporin, cortisone 10 did help at all. Any suggestions out there on how to relieve the iching immediately....for my future reference. Thanks. Diane

G

gio

My uncle and my aunt are both licensed exterminators in New York and they told me once that fleas can lay dormant in a rug or a sofa for years and when conditions suit them, they'll make themselves known. Boy, I know that they are no party. My dog is a flea magnet and thank God there's good stuff out for dogs and cats now. I had to blast my house out several times. They (my uncle and aunt) said that a crucial thing is constant vacuuming 2 or three times a day in flea weather and throw out the vacuum cleaner bag alot.

C

Canadian Bob

Hi! I have had great success with "Skin So Soft" diluted with 5 parts of water. It stops ALL bugs from biting and is easy on the skin. If you do get bitten by sand fleas,midges or mosquitoes a weak solution of ammonia will stop the itch immediately. It is available in Canada and probably in USA & is called "AFTERBITE" and is in a tube about 3 inches long,with a felt tip applicator. It is extremely effective.Another way to fix sand fleas is to wear a cat flea collar around each ankle. Don't laugh....it works! Wishing you an itch-free holiday!! Canadian Bob.

S

Susan

Mike: Try Mosiguard..it's sold in Boots. I think I read somewhere that the School for Tropical Medicine recommend it. It does stink though! Boots also do Jungle Formula which has DEET. Boots are very good with giving advice. (Don't forget the Imodium or Diareze!!).

G

Grahame Bush

If you are unsuccessful at getting these sprays/ointments, & the beggers still bite you, try the local vanilla essence to stop the itching (RD $6-8 depending on size). It does not stop the biting but most assuredly stops the itching (& therefor the need to continually scratch). I have lived here for nearly 7 years & when the mozzies can't find "New Blood" they make do with me. I find it a Godsend so we always have some in the house. What is even better, what you don't use you can take home for cooking purposes.