mis-understandings

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
I was just wondering if guys in the DR think you're coming on to them by just being nice and conversational. Is it just this one person i talked to, or is it a known fact?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Is a known fact

sarahshubin said:
I was just wondering if guys in the DR think you're coming on to them by just being nice and conversational. Is it just this one person i talked to, or is it a known fact?

If you make eye contact, if you dance more than one dance with them, if you smile at them, if you're just being nice, civil, etc. they would think you are interested. You are probably not dominican otherwise you'd know this instinctively.

Last edited:

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
thank you

No-- I'm not Dominican, so i definately didn't know that.. i general i'm just nice and outgoing, and i smile at people.....i'll try to be more aloof, and smile less, huh?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
sarahshubin said:
No-- I'm not Dominican, so i definately didn't know that.. i general i'm just nice and outgoing, and i smile at people.....i'll try to be more aloof, and smile less, huh?

Don't ever stop smiling. Not for anyone. Just make sure you don't make eye contact with anyone in particular. Have fun. Don't go out alone when you do go to the clubs. Have fun.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
from my scarce visits to the DR...

i go to the DR for lazy weeks and to get away from daily stresses. i have been there 3 times...... my first vist, and many posts on the DR1 later... i learned a lot about the men in the resort-ridden areas. Mind you, I haven't been to the non-tourist areas yet.... however... both in Puerto Plata and Punta Cana... if you have a sankie on your ***, he won't leave you alone and will get offended if you dance with other guys.

My first visit there I learned that....... however now I go to relax and not to party really... and I don't get attached to anyone. You have to be firm and set the standard. Some guys that ARE out there hunting for their prey, will pick up on the overly friendly drunk girl. But if you honestly go there with the pure intention of having fun and not having any misunderstandings with the males... I would say BE FIRM. They will definetly keep on trying to get to know you, but if you draw the line.... in most often times... they will honour that.

Like I said... that is from my limited experience visiting the DR. I'm sure it may be different in the other, non-tourist dominated areas.

L

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Sarashubin-
Forgive me for asking but didn't you state that you are 15 years old in another thread? Where are your parents? You certainly do not travel alone to the DR. If you think someone is coming on to you, seek out your parents -that will make him stay away surely?
So keep on smiling, you have your parents to protect you from any untoward advances.

Amber_Stewart

Mar 3, 2004
How to spot a sankie?

Hi everyone. How can you tell if you have a sankie on your ***? I went to the DR last month and found many men to be flirty, friendly, etc. I am also a friendly person, but I didn't have any trouble - if I wasn't interested, they were fine with that...mostly, anyway. I'm just curious to know, however, how you can tell when you've met a sankie? Thanks!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
sarahshubin said:

Guys everywhere think that, it's not just the DR. I am a guy, and I always think I have a chance when a girl is nice to me. Thing is, I know the fantasy of having a chance is more pleasant than taking my chances and being wrong, so I don't take it any further.

In Dominican culture, not making a move at every possible opportunity will brand you a "palomo" or a "pariguayo" which is almost as bad as being called a "pajaro" (a slightly less vulgar form of "maricon")

Basically, Dominican guys HAVE to come on to you if you are even reasonably attractive or their friends will think they're gay.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Basically, Dominican guys HAVE to come on to you if you are even reasonably attractive or their friends will think they're gay.

OMG - didn't that just burst a lot of bubbles !!!!

Marlie

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
marliejaneca said:
Sarashubin-
Forgive me for asking but didn't you state that you are 15 years old in another thread? Where are your parents? You certainly do not travel alone to the DR. If you think someone is coming on to you, seek out your parents -that will make him stay away surely?
So keep on smiling, you have your parents to protect you from any untoward advances.

Sara,
I think marliejaneca made some good points, and I hope you do not travel alone to the DR if you are only 15 years old. I have found out that eye contact with conversation, buying someone a drink and/or dancing with someone, or a combination of any of these factors, are signs of interest to dominican men and women and in my opinion, Dominicans are more aggressive in pursuing someone they perceive like them than gringos/as. I had a heck of a mess in a small bar/club in the colonial zone because I went there with a dominicana and danced with someone else who asked me while mi novia went to use the lady's room, so if you aren't interested err on the side of caution. Given your age, probably boy crazy as I was girl crazy in my teens and still am, have fun and be careful and tell an aggresive person: vaya, yo tengo 15 (quince) anos or something similar. I would assume you are traveling with your parents so always keeping them in sight can ease a situation a lot. Good luck and keep on smiling.
dale7(Howard)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I think Sarah is going on exchange which means I doubt she'll be out by herself but will most likely have some friends/relatives that are Dominican all the time with her.

Somehow I doubt she'll end up in bars...but I guess it depends on the host family.

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks everyone--
Yes, i'm fifteen, and yes i'm going on an exchange, i just was asking because i was talking to a person from the DR, and i kind of got that immpression-- that just being friendly meant i was coming on to them....i just wanted to know if it was one person, or Dominican men in general; now i know, so thank you.
Sarah~