Computer Nasty Warning

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One of the computer ezines that I subscribe to just sent out the following warning. I thought it should be shared:

"There's a malicious worm being spread right now; it masquerades as a message from an isp--- verizon, aol,and others; even from me ("Dear user of Langa.com gateway e-mail server,..." or something similar).

The email usually contains a password-protected Zip file, with instructions on how to open it.

DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!It's not really from me--- or Verizon, or AOL, or whomever. Those "From" addresses and other headers are faked, but very convincingly: the worm is quite clever.

But the file is a trojan designed to infect your system. The worm-writers placed the file in a password-protected file to try to hide from some anti-virus tools.

Don't be fooled: JUST DELETE THE FILE AND THE EMAIL."

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just got a message from Yahoo.

It was in the BULK Mail file.It said that Yahoo mail server was going to be down for re-configuration for a period of 2 days.Said to open a file to find out an alternate way to recieve the mail.I can't do any of that "Advanced" stuff,so I just deleted it!Cris

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Thanks for sharing this vital info with us.. ;)

Zues (primus inter pares)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good catch< Ken

I am still getting lots of MYDOOM virus messages. I just return them to sender with a note that says "You have a virus. Get it fixed."

Thanks a bunch on this one Ken

HB

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks for the heads up

Actually, they said last week that there is a new strain of the MyDoom virus out now too, I think it is MyDoomF but with the same characteristics of the last virus, that may be what you are recieving Hillbilly.
Thanks Ken for the warning, especially that it may be able to bypass some of the anti-virus tools. I am sure many rely too heavy on their anti-virus system and do not practice common-sense in opening some emails.
The mailwasher system that Hollywud ( I think I spelled that wrong) suggested is a good way to bounce out and blacklist a lot of spam emails, but it also will warn you about ones containing a possible virus as well.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Just as a reminder, sometime someone (MUCH more computer litterate than stupid old me) suggested putting a new address on my address book list. aaaaa@aaaaa.com or substitute '0's (zeros not O's).

This now goes to the head of your address list & prevents anything coming into your system, being sent out to your contacts - the infected e-mail can not find a aaa or 000 address so goes no further!! I am sure someone much more 'savvy' than me can suggest other means of protecting your friends & contacts, although - other than a GOOD, up-to-date, anti-virus system is going to stop it getting on to YOUR computer!!

Stay clean & protect your friends - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MY thanks to Ken

If I had not read his warning I would have opend it up, sure as shootin'

It looks real good, with my IPS folks address.

Wow, what a nasty!!

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hillbilly,

F.Y.I.

Just because you get a virus sent to you supposedly from a particular person, it doesn't mean that they have a virus. It may be someone else's computer which has a virus and the supposed sender is just in their address book.

Last month hlywud kept telling me I had a virus and I had to send him a copy of the Norton Report showing "No Threat's Found" in order for him to believe me.

I use the Norton 2004 Internet Security package which includes Security, Personal Firewall, Intrusion Detection, Norton Antivirus, Privacy Control, Ad Blocking, Norton AntiSpam, Parental Control (disabled), Auto-Protect, Email Scanning and Script Blocking; all with Live Update to ensure the most current status - manually updated whenever I feel the necessity. It is one of the few things I gladly pay for when it comes to software. In addition I use MailWasher Pro to scan my E-mail BEFORE it is downloaded to my PC.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, they can come from anywhere..

Thanks for that. I am using a McAfee suite that is very similiar, but I haven't installed all the goodies. I will do this in May... You are right, it is worth every penny..

HB

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
mac's rule

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on all this high tech computer stuff ... ....viruses, computers " freezing. " maybe I'll get a pc to to see what everyone's talking about.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
By GOD!!

What in heaven can possibly make you download an attachment with a .Zip ending and run it on your pc???? there's no way any Dot Com company or entity would send one remotely looking like that, they will always inform you to log on to their website via typing their address in your webrowser yourself, point in case why they never include a shortcut to it within their e-mails to you, just to avoid the chances of any nutcase out there from using it as a backdoor to your account, please learn this already!

The aaaa@0000 is a load of manure, any simple DOS or C++ piece can exploit any I mean ANY e-mail address no matter how many aaaaa or 000000 you put in it, this could had been true back when PC's were running win95 or 98, it was an outlook shortcoming of the source code, not anymore so don't think that by doing this it would protect you, no cigar.

Unless you asked a friend for a file or pic or something to that effect that would require an attachment to be send to your e-mail inbox, then DELETE IT!, if it came from a friend contact him or her and make sure they did in fact send it to you, if that wasn't the case tell them what the subject was and date, so they could run an anti-virus on their system ASAP, if the thingy came from out there in the Internetland: Destroy it!.

Don't use the webrowser history to reload your visited websites, since many exploits this to plant an auto address applet in your pc, that will in turn turn your browser into a fake site or mirror of your intended target, by far one of the most exploited faults by hackers and nutcases.

Contrary to popular believe text e-mail can't I repeat Can't infect your computer, unless of course you copy the contents into your notepad or wordpad, change the extension to .exe and run it.

How I miss my old 286 25mhz, 6 Mb Ram, with the high capacity 300 Mb IBM HDD, 1.2 and 360k drives, DOS, those were the good old days.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I received that email several days ago, before Ken's posted warning. However, I tend to be VERY skittish about unexpected attachements so I deleted it quickly, but I must say that it, on first reading, did look like it was from my webmail server.

This one was a a compressed folder with a .zip ending not .exe. I scanned it too, and the scan showed NOTHING. However, I still got rid of it.

LP

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I have also put an address in my book simply as this !000 and since it doesn't recognize symbols and it has worked so far. Although according to Pichardo this is a load of ****, I don't care, it is just one more way I reassure myself.
I recieved an email from my ISP today saying that its anti-virus software didn't even pick up on the virus and many using jam21.net have been infected. Just remember it is an email without an attachment, and since we have all been warned as of late not to open up attachments that look suspicious, it could confuse some out there because of the fact there is no attachment so it looks like a regular email. Delete it, don't even open it up to see if it has a zip file, remember curiousity killed the cat!

JohnR

Jan 23, 2004
more suggestions

marliejaneca said:
I have also put an address in my book simply as this !000 and since it doesn't recognize symbols and it has worked so far. Although according to Pichardo this is a load of ****, I don't care, it is just one more way I reassure myself.
I recieved an email from my ISP today saying that its anti-virus software didn't even pick up on the virus and many using jam21.net have been infected. Just remember it is an email without an attachment, and since we have all been warned as of late not to open up attachments that look suspicious, it could confuse some out there because of the fact there is no attachment so it looks like a regular email. Delete it, don't even open it up to see if it has a zip file, remember curiousity killed the cat!

All of these suggestions are good, I've got a couple more:

Use an email provider that scans attachments for you, I use Hotmail
Set your Antivirus to scan all emails
Use MailWasher as secondary protection
Run Spybot to clean up non-virus problems- it's freeware
This software searches for spyware, software that gets downloaded to your computer, typically when visiting a website, or clicking on an ad. Sometimes all it does is monitor your web browsing and report it back to their website, other software may hijack your browser. At the very least, spyware slows down your computer. I don't remember their website, but search for "Spybot Search and Destroy"

AdAware is another good shareware program, but it doesn't find as many problems as Spybot

John

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The sad thing is that virus and trojan writers are way ahead of the game.
It's a continual game of cat and mouse for the white color brigade.
All they can be is re-active, which in turn offers limited protection for the average end user.

Get pro-active and buy a Mac, then all these problems will not be an issue :)

JohnR

Jan 23, 2004
agreed

Robert said:
The sad thing is that virus and trojan writers are way ahead of the game.
It's a continual game of cat and mouse for the white color brigade.
All they can be is re-active, which in turn offers limited protection for the average end user.

Get pro-active and buy a Mac, then all these problems will not be an issue :)

Yeah, it's an endless battle.

I haven't used a MAC in years, but I was helping a lady with her Ipod on the plane down to DR, and I have to admit I was very impressed- simple interface, intuitive and very easy to use!