Single wanting to Adopt

S

Stephen

Yes

mcenter said:
Can a single foreign male adopt a child in the Dominican Republic?

http://travel.state.gov/adoption_dominicanrepublic.html

........"Under Dominican law, a single individual, married couple, or unmarried couple may adopt a child. A single individual must be at least 25 years old and at least 15 years older than the child. A married couple may adopt a child if one of the spouses is at least 25 years old. If the couple is unmarried, the partners must have at least 5 years of known and uninterrupted union"

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
With the new adoption provisions in force beginning August 2004, there is no question that a single person will be able to adopt. However, applications by a single person will be subject to special scrutiny to avoid ?a distortion of the spirit of the institution.?

Art. 119 of the New Code of Minors (Law 163-03) states the following: "When the adoption application is filed by a single person, the authorities will investigate with special interest the motives of the applicant in order to avoid a distortion of the spirit of the institution . . . ?

mcenter

Mar 4, 2004
Second Question - Agencies

Are there adoption agencies in the Domincan Republic? If so, do you know of any that I contact?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Fabio: I have a questioin regarding adoption of a child who's a relative of mine. I have a niece whom I would like to adopt in order to bring to live with us in the US. The mother would sign any papers necessary...My question is whether it is any easier for this kind of adoption or do you still need to go through the whole adoption process as if it was some child that you've never met? Any info would be appreciated.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Suarezn,

The process is exactly the same except for certain differences in the initial steps. Adoptions in the DR are frustratingly long and involved. Many lawyers who practiced in the field have quit in disgust at the inefficiencies in the process.