Why cant Dominican people see their golden oppertunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_AmericanMan

Mar 6, 2004
My dear Dominican friends.
What are you all waiting for? There is money to be made! :confused: I love your country. I have visited you many times. I used to serve in the U.S. Coast Guard up until 2002 stationed in Puerto Rico. I have worked side by side with your Navy. I travel all over the U.S. I am at the moment living in Atlanta Georgia where I own a home. The Dominican Republic is like a rich oil field in the back yard of the U.S.
Americans do not know the beauty of your Country! :cry: They only know the negitive, what we see in the news. :paranoid: The poor souls risking their lives coming by way of old boat and the poverty. The problems with Haiti and them being right next door.
They don't know about the crystal blue green waters, the warm sun, the tropical landscape, the incredible hotels, the beautiful people, the afforable real estate, the power of the tourist dollar, the cheap price of a ticket to fly, no threat of terrorist, the easy ability to start a business, a wonderful place for people to escape and retire early, must I go on? :mad:
I myself am wanting to live in your country and start a business catering to tourist by bringing millions of Americans to your fantasy Island. I have my own income at the moment if I was to move there right now.
You must understand Americans are over worked, stress out and need a place to go. At the moment they really don't like to fly far because of what happened on 911. You are closer than Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico SUCKS!
I know I had to live there. Never again. They live on the U.S. dollar and there is no benifit to vacationing there because of it. Everything is way too over priced. A simple Holiday Inn Hotel cost $90 USD a night. Forget it!
Stop and look at what you have! Yes our economy is rough now and we have unemployment. Let me tell you this. Americans who are working would come by the plane and boat load with wallets wide open if they only knew you exist.
Americans can't even afford to retire at age 67 with an income of $2,000 USD a month in this country! We work until we die. Medicine and medical care we can't afford! Tell me what can $2,000 USD per month buy a person in your country? :cheeky:
You don't even have to answer that.
And look our large corporation are leaving America to build and manufacture goods in South America, and train their people. Then they turn around and send the product back to the States.
Why not have the companies come to you, train employ Dominicans, and pay you in U.S. Dollars? :cheeky:
This would save the U.S. companies so much money because they wouldn't have far to send the well finished product back.
I know what it takes to get Americans to your country. I would like to work for a company in your country and help you do this. How much money do you want to make that is the question.
I'm a simple man. I want to come to your country find a beautiful single woman to marry and start a business or work for a company in the tourist sector. I also put a personal add in your classified section to do just that. You will see it as add # 2987 where it has a picture of me.
I'm serious, I am coming, it's just a matter of when. Is there anyone out there who needs a good business partner?
Here I am. :smoke:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Believe me we have saeen it

And we have planned to do something about it.

You are enthusiastic, that is for sure. Slow down a bit and talk to us, let us know what you are thinking, where you want do go with whatever it is you are thinking about..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that the DR is a better place to live than PR. I've spent quite a bit of time on the south coast of PR, but much prefer life here. And not just because of the exchange difference.

I think all the regulars on the board who live in the DR will urge you to go very, very, very slow in the matter of taking a Dominican partner. Don't even consider it unless you are going to be here full time and will play an active roll in the day to day life of the business.

There are lots of horror stories than can be told about foreigners coming to grief at the hands of a Dominican partner.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
American man slow

I am not there yet myself and I too retire soon. I have been getting the same advice about going slow. Your pension will be enough to live on. I have been on full party mode and spent less than half what my pension will be on a trip down.
I have spent enough time to know I could get on a plane with the closthes on my back and my pension comeing in and be settled to a better quality of life than I have active duty. So just go slow and enjoy life.
On a side note I Emailed you something and if you want me to expand let me know and I will tell you what I have looked up even about the informal market survey I have done with the sailors close to retirement.
John
P.S. I was not lookiong for a partner. They are just ideas I bounced around and I decided I did not want to do them but I feel the info is valid.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
To Answer your first Question about Dominicans not seeing their gold mine...

You have to understand that people in general (all over the world) are lazy. Everybody want something and they wanted for free or a cheap as possible. Many dominicans who are born into poverty are actually happy with their lifestyles until they 1) see cable TV and see the American way of life which the media makes it sound like heaven or 2) they see one of their neighbors go to NY and come back with pocket full of pesos. Of course, the Dominicanyork don't tell his fellow citizens that the reason why he has so many pesos in the DR is because the dollar is worth more. The dominicanyork don't tell his fellow citizens that he lives like sardines in a can in those cramped NY apartments, that he constantly needs to wonder if he will not be killed, mugged, or simply beaten for being who he is in the streets of NY. He would not tell his dominican citizens that he is not rich-hense he doesn't make his move to the DR anytime soon. So, those dominicans in the DR see all of that and what they want, they want to go to "Nueba Yol". Never mind the potential in the DR, Nueba Yol seems alot easier and so many go to the U.S. embassy in Santo Domingo and get rejected 500 million times. Some then decide to buy their illegal visas and off they go to NY and others decide to go on yola to Puerto Rico with hopes to make it to NY. Then they find out the truth about life in NY and they do the exact same thing the other Dominicanyorks have been doing to the dominicans left on the island. But it's true, there is alot of potential on the island. Most dominicans are just blind to that notion because to many of them the "gobierno" is a peace of trash and everybody wants someone else to fix their problems. Many times I hear these preist of the Catholic church blasting away the governments policies, further enfuriating the dominican people and making their life that much more miserable. I wonder why those preist are not instead trying to "save" the souls of the dominicans by staying out of politics and encouraging dominicans to take part in the economic potential. We (the Dominicans) need someone important that everyone from the most obvious to the most remote part of the country would listen to. And what we need to hear is the same speech President Kennedy told his country "Don't ask what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country". Unfortunately, dominicans are doing the first part of the quote and totally ignoring the second part.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You have both feet planted firmly in "The Air!"

Come walk a mile in our shoes before you invest 1 penny here! There is virtually NO infrastructure here! Get It?? No constant electrical power! Shortages of all ""Fuels"!Banking system questionable! "Government",don't make me puke!The population doesn't speak English! Tourists,(The ones with money,NOT the "AIs" who spend $500 a week for their package!) want 1st. class service and staff who can communicate! I could go on,but why waste the time.Come and spend lots of money,every $$$$$ helps! Cris Colon

Nal0whs said:
The dominicanyork don't tell his fellow citizens that he lives like sardines in a can in those cramped NY apartments, that he constantly needs to wonder if he will not be killed, mugged, or simply beaten for being who he is in the streets of NY.
You should not generalize because I am dominican and I have never been in New York. I live in a beatiful, apartment in the state of Washington where my husband, baby daughter and me leave pretty comfortably, and not, I don't have to wonder about being killed because it is a pretty good neighborhood.
Just my two cents,
:bunny: *Virginia* :bunny:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
VirginiaGomes said:

You should not generalize because I am dominican and I have never been in New York. I live in a beatiful, apartment in the state of Washington where my husband, baby daughter and me leave pretty comfortably, and not, I don't have to wonder about being killed because it is a pretty good neighborhood.
Just my two cents,
:bunny: *Virginia* :bunny:

Virginia I have to agree with the other post. You can say a GOOD portion of the 'typical' Dominican that lives in NYC or parts of NJ live cheap so that they can be rich in DR in December. Many of the ones who post here are the exception. I live more like you do....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am also a dominican who have been to NYC, Connecticut, Mass, Florida, Jersey, Washinton DC, California, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado. I've also been to Europe and several Latin Countries besides my country, the Dominican Republic. So, why did I generalized? Because the bulk of dominicans that leave for the USA are headed towards NYC, hence NYC has the second largest concentration of dominicans in the World. Not every dominican that leaves the island will end up in a nice apartment in Washington.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You seem to have a problem with New York

Nal0whs said:
I am also a dominican who have been to NYC, Connecticut, Mass, Florida, Jersey, Washinton DC, California, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado. I've also been to Europe and several Latin Countries besides my country, the Dominican Republic. So, why did I generalized? Because the bulk of dominicans that leave for the USA are headed towards NYC, hence NYC has the second largest concentration of dominicans in the World. Not every dominican that leaves the island will end up in a nice apartment in Washington.

Your facts are a little distorted about people living cramped like sardines and worried to death about walking the streets of New York.Yes it is true some Doms. do live in cramped quarters because rents are high here along with rich opportunties. But, not all live like that. In my experience(see qualifications below) MOST live a pretty normal live of 4-5 people in a 2 bedroom apartment in upper Manhattan or certain parts of Brooklyn.

Yes, many people are lazy--but how do you come to the implied statement that most Doms. are lazy. I have employed them for 30 years here in NYC in various businesses that I own and I find your generalization much too broad.

Your statements about the Church's role and guidance for people is in my opinion way off base but I do not want to steal this tread and will will refrain from commenting on this subject.

As far as the resouces the DR offers and what one could do with them with the proper guidance, sponsor, money, leadership etc. I agree with you.

Born and raised in NYC about 150 years ago-owner of a number of multiple family buildings , and have employed many, many Doms. in a manufacturing business that I ran for most of my adult life.

JOHN

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
People, please let me express my opinion and stop twisting what I actually write. I say cramped apartments because those are the types of apartments that most dominicans live in NYC. All I am trying to say is that life for many dominicans in NYC don't lives up to their expectations and many dominicans knowing that the expectations won't be lived up simply don't tell their other dominicans of what life is like in NYC. I know that in many cases life in NYC is easier than in the DR, but it's not the place with streets of gold with $5 bills flying in the wind because no one puts attention to money. And that is my point, many dominicanyorks acting like big shots, like millionares in the DR, giving a false impression when back in NYC they are either driving around in taxis with the fear of being robbed or killed (a reality many dominican taxis face), or freezing their butts in a kiosk selling warm food on the sidewalks of NYC or working from 7am to 5pm cleaning toilets and washing floors at $6 an hour, not enough for them to rent the many spacious apartments that are available in NYC, hence they live in the cramped one. I don't have anything against NY or the US way of life or anything, I do have a problem with my fellow dominican citizens that lie to other dominicans in the DR by acting as big shots when they are not. That is all.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And about me calling all human being lazy is just that. I'm not questioning anyones ability to do hard work or anything, but there is no other better explanation for people to move from a country like the DR to the US (life is easier in the US than DR). And that applies to all human beings all over the world. There are many expats that live in the DR because it's easier for them to live comfortable with $2,000 per month in the DR than having to keep working till they are dead to have the same retired lifestyle in the U.S. Again, I am not saying everybody fits what I said above, but many people do, more than the majority and that is my point.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Here we go again

I`m dominican
I`ve been to europe two times
I`ve studied in europe
I speak english, italian
I?m not lazy
I have worked my a$$ out
What more I have to say
I`ve earned my money working hard not begging or working at the goverment
I?have a room full of books that I`ve read
I AM PROUDLY DOMINICAN
I have a valid 10 years Visa
And I?m not rich......
Calamardoazul :mad:

I live in Santo Domingo RD. I?m a real Dominican

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I`m dominican
I`ve been to europe
I`ve studied in United States
I speak english and italian too (io parlo italiano anche sono domenicano)
I?m not lazy either
I have worked my a$$ out

I`ve earned my money working hard not begging or working at the goverment
I?have a room full of books that I`ve read
I AM PROUDLY DOMINICAN
I have a valid Visa
And I?m not rich......
But I'm working on it.

So, Calamarazul what is your point? (I mean that in a non offensive way) I am not saying EVERYBODY is like that, but most are. Why can't people accept the facts.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not twisting

Nal0whs said:
People, please let me express my opinion and stop twisting what I actually write. I say cramped apartments because those are the types of apartments that most dominicans live in NYC. All I am trying to say is that life for many dominicans in NYC don't lives up to their expectations and many dominicans knowing that the expectations won't be lived up simply don't tell their other dominicans of what life is like in NYC. I know that in many cases life in NYC is easier than in the DR, but it's not the place with streets of gold with $5 bills flying in the wind because no one puts attention to money. And that is my point, many dominicanyorks acting like big shots, like millionares in the DR, giving a false impression when back in NYC they are either driving around in taxis with the fear of being robbed or killed (a reality many dominican taxis face), or freezing their butts in a kiosk selling warm food on the sidewalks of NYC or working from 7am to 5pm cleaning toilets and washing floors at $6 an hour, not enough for them to rent the many spacious apartments that are available in NYC, hence they live in the cramped one. I don't have anything against NY or the US way of life or anything, I do have a problem with my fellow dominican citizens that lie to other dominicans in the DR by acting as big shots when they are not. That is all.
Not twisting one word of what you said. Yes there are MANY people that work for mininum wage here in NY It is certainly not limited to Doms. Believe it or not most people in NY do not walk around worried whether they are going to be shot. In fact, I think NY ranks about 10th in states with the highest crime rate. Dont know where SD ranks. Could you tell me??

So if in fact some Doms. act like "big shots in NY" --so what?? Don't most of us try to put a better image across? Don't you??

JOHN

Mr_AmericanMan

Mar 6, 2004
Put your heads togther

Wow!
Here I write something to show an oppertunity and what do I see?
People fighting and misunderstanding each other. :dead: Oh well were human I guess.
I'll start this off by saying Domincian people are Very strong!, Very proud! and hard working people with an unbelievable will to survive! I am not Dominican.
This is my reason for feeling this way.
It was in the year 2000. I was working for the U.S. Coast Guard stationed in Puerto Rico. We were in the Dominican Republic training together with the Dominican Navy in La Ramana. My crew and I along with the Dominican Naval Crew were drinking some fine Island Rum. The rum was given to us by a fine Captain of a charter boat that took people on trips to a party Island just off the coast. Do you know of this charter boat in La Ramana? There is a men and woman prison over looking the water where this charter boat docks up at. It takes many Europeans. Man you all have good Rum! Much better than Don Q or Barcardi! I taste them all with an open mind. Any Way.
We received a call that evening that a ferry had sank off the coast of
La Ramana and people were in the water. When we got on scene many people didn't make it. Many people were also missing. The sea condition that night and into the next day were horrible. The seas were 3 meters or ten feet high, some much bigger. The waves were coming from all directions. I was so sea sick and wet from standing holding onto the rail searching for anyone dead or alive. This was not a place I wanted to be I can tell you.
Now 24 hours had past from the call of the sinking ferry there were sharks in the ocean. I know I saw only one but there had to be more.
A U.S. Navy Helicopter came to assist in the search. We got word from the copter there was a man in the water. My heart was pounding I forgot all about being sea sick or how wet I was. We went steaming ahead as fast as we could in the direction of thisman. The whole front half of the ship was coming out of the water up over the waves and digging right into the next. The water was now coming completly over us where we were standing like a curtain. If we were to loose grip we would be taken right off the ship.
My God I said to myself when we got on scene. The man is still alive!
He was treading water. You must understand this man didn't even have a life vest to keep him afloat. There was no land in sight. 24 hours had past.
He had no one to tell him help was on the way. He had no one to talk to. Maybe he lost his family. We got him on board the ship as quick as we could.
When he got on board ship he passed out. His vital signs were very weak.
We called for the Helicopter to come take this unbelievable man off the ship and fly him to land as quickly as possible.
This man made me a stronger person that day and to this day. My friends I will never forget the power of the will to live. To never give up! There is always a way!
And yes You can do it!
After all said and done I never heard what happend to the man with the will to survive. Just that he made it happen! I don't care if you been to Europe or you live in New York City. So what?
What I am trying to say here if someone would listen, is there is money to be made in the Dominican Republic and a lot of it. For the people of the Dominican Republic and for your beautiful country. You need to learn what it would take for Americans to come by the hundreds of thousands to spend money and retire in your country. This can happen right now! But it is all up to you, and me I hope.
Let me throw this one of many million dollar ideas that I can do if you want to help insted of complain. Listen there are 30,000 Americans retiring from the service each year. 98% of them can get money to go to college. Good money I know how much they can get. This money isn't enough to keep them from working in the States. They would have to go to school and work at the same time. Well now come over to the Dominican Republic use this money go to school, have nice shelter get provided three meals a day along with a ride to and from school with money to spend for things such as night life, movies, dating, what ever. I can make sure they have $50 USD every week and after all is said and done they don't have to work!
With the American coming over means more money for the taxi man, more money for the cook, more money for the room service, not to mention the Colleges. Must I go on?
My dear friend, Mr. and Ms. Dominican. There is something you must see. This beautiful land of your, this wonderful opportunity. There are Americans not to far away who need a place to come and play. They love the tropical trees with the warm green blue seas. They will come to your land money in hand and this is not a tease. The handsome men I guess? the women they are the best. The madness will end the fun will begin we accept nothing less! I'll say it once again. This problem it must end. Over here on our T.V. screens your problems are all we see. Show us your beauty, show us your land here we come money in hand.
Now lets pull our heads out of our A$$ and make it happen!
Would anyone like me as a partner, or do I have to do this myself?
Power to your people. :smoke:
John.

Mr_AmericanMan

Mar 6, 2004
You couldn't be more wrong my friend

Criss Colon said:
Come walk a mile in our shoes before you invest 1 penny here! There is virtually NO infrastructure here! Get It?? No constant electrical power! Shortages of all ""Fuels"!Banking system questionable! "Government",don't make me puke!The population doesn't speak English! Tourists,(The ones with money,NOT the "AIs" who spend $500 a week for their package!) want 1st. class service and staff who can communicate! I could go on,but why waste the time.Come and spend lots of money,every $$$$$ helps! Cris Colon

South of my home town San Diego California is a town called Tujuana Mexico. It was a very poor town 15 years ago, :disappoin but the people learned what it took to get the money flowing in :confused: . If you have business people who would like to talk to me, we can do the same for your country. My goodness it's so easy, that's why it's so hard. Get it? :paranoid: can't see the forest through the trees example.
John :smoke:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mr. Americanman, I can see what you're talking about.

I was thinking the samething about marketing the DR for first worlders that are ready to retire and want a good life without the price tag. Or for younger folks that would like to live in an "exotic island" that still offers many comforts of home, for those days when homesickness takes over. I was watching a show last night, it was a travel show about Tokyo. Talking about cramped places, many of them live in one room studios that by day becomes a living area and at night a bedroom with the bed coming out of the wall. If those Japanese could see themselves living in the many spanking new luxury apartments in Santo Domingo, for a lot less than in Japan (the most expensive country on earth), and the friendlyness of the dominican people, and who can complain about the weather. I am with you, there is alot of money to be made through Real Estate in the DR. Imagine all the well to do Mexicans living in overcrowded Mexico City, maybe they want fresher air, balmier weather and less worry about their personal belongings. Argentinians are in love with the DR, they are one of the biggest or were one of the biggest contributors to the Dominican tourist industry. If only they knew that they can live here very comfortably. There are also the Germans, Spaniards, French, British. The DR can even attract isrealis that are tired of the violence and who want a business apportunity (the DR is centrally located in this Hemisphere, perfect for a transhipment point of all sorts of goods flowing to and from Latin America to Europe, and with the new mega seaport in Cabo Caucedo being built, the possibilities are becoming endless. Imagine what would happen if dominican products (dulce de leche, rums, refrescos, some of the local fast food chains, etc.) would be exported to other places, their potential in being successful abroad is quite high. But even in the current slump there is money to be made. Look at the exchange rate for example. Many people would look at it as a very bad thing, and in many ways it is. But look at this, people that know Arbitrage are very very happy right now. Why? Look at this: US$1 = RD$50 approx. RD$1=US$0.06 approximately. Arbitrage is exchanging money to make money. If you have say $500, you could exchange those $500 into dominican pesos and you get RD$25,000. Then you convert your pesos into dollars through the 1 pesos equals 6 american cents exchange and you get US$ 1,500. You made a profit of US$1,000 off the current exchange rate!! Many people have actually become BILLIONARES through this legal practice. So yeah, there is alot of money to be made. I have realized that. I'm just starting to think of whats the best way of actually exploiting the potential to my benefit (ie. starting a business - but I need to find out which one is the most profitable with a start up capital in my range).

Mr_AmericanMan

Mar 6, 2004
Where do you live now?

Nal0whs said:
I was thinking the samething about marketing the DR for first worlders that are ready to retire and want a good life without the price tag. Or for younger folks that would like to live in an "exotic island" that still offers many comforts of home, for those days when homesickness takes over. I was watching a show last night, it was a travel show about Tokyo. Talking about cramped places, many of them live in one room studios that by day becomes a living area and at night a bedroom with the bed coming out of the wall. If those Japanese could see themselves living in the many spanking new luxury apartments in Santo Domingo, for a lot less than in Japan (the most expensive country on earth), and the friendlyness of the dominican people, and who can complain about the weather. I am with you, there is alot of money to be made through Real Estate in the DR. Imagine all the well to do Mexicans living in overcrowded Mexico City, maybe they want fresher air, balmier weather and less worry about their personal belongings. Argentinians are in love with the DR, they are one of the biggest or were one of the biggest contributors to the Dominican tourist industry. If only they knew that they can live here very comfortably. There are also the Germans, Spaniards, French, British. The DR can even attract isrealis that are tired of the violence and who want a business apportunity (the DR is centrally located in this Hemisphere, perfect for a transhipment point of all sorts of goods flowing to and from Latin America to Europe, and with the new mega seaport in Cabo Caucedo being built, the possibilities are becoming endless. Imagine what would happen if dominican products (dulce de leche, rums, refrescos, some of the local fast food chains, etc.) would be exported to other places, their potential in being successful abroad is quite high. But even in the current slump there is money to be made. Look at the exchange rate for example. Many people would look at it as a very bad thing, and in many ways it is. But look at this, people that know Arbitrage are very very happy right now. Why? Look at this: US$1 = RD$50 approx. RD$1=US$0.06 approximately. Arbitrage is exchanging money to make money. If you have say $500, you could exchange those $500 into dominican pesos and you get RD$25,000. Then you convert your pesos into dollars through the 1 pesos equals 6 american cents exchange and you get US$ 1,500. You made a profit of US$1,000 off the current exchange rate!! Many people have actually become BILLIONARES through this legal practice. So yeah, there is alot of money to be made. I have realized that. I'm just starting to think of whats the best way of actually exploiting the potential to my benefit (ie. starting a business - but I need to find out which one is the most profitable with a start up capital in my range).

So tell me what is your range. And where do you live now. As I stated in my first message. I have some income coming in at the moment. I would love to find a good partner. All that is needed is a concentrated effort to MARKET the Dominican Republic to the Americans, Japan, Mexicans living in Mexico City and so many others. Domincan Republic is a sleeping Volcano about to erupt! We just got to stick a hole in it and hold out our hands. I know how to get the Americans here. Do you know that the Dominican Republic was a stopping point for slaves back in the slaves days before they came to America?
You might. Do you know that there are so many Rich black Americans who don't? They would love to come and see their roots. They work their butts off and have no idea that paridise and a vacation home is so close and so affordable. They complain how they hate living in the States. Not all but so many do. We are for example brothers and sisters who have grown apart. Well it's time to come together and reunite. Let show the world how to SALSA!
John :smoke:

Status
Not open for further replies.