Fishing

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I?ll be in the DR for three weeks starting 3/13/04, my plan is to just bum around the island. My question is this, is it possible to fish from shore? What should I bring? Any advice?

Joe

pati

Feb 3, 2004
What part of DR will you be in? My husband and his friends go fishing but they usually do it from a small boat.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Remeber this is the tropics. Most of the island is surrounded by coral reefs so from the shoreline you really don't have access to the open ocean.

If fishing from the shore you are thinking of surf-fishing for bluefish off the beaches of the outer banks of North Carolina. You will not get that here.

Most fishing is done in deep-sea or over the reefs themselves. If you want to catch big snapper or grouper you will need to find deep reefs located a bit off shore, if pelagics is what you want, plenty of tuna, mackeral, Dolphin(dorado), Wahoo. Also the big action for Sailfish and Marlin is plentyful.

On some rivers you will find Snook and Tapon it all depends on the area of the country you will be in.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Bass Fishing

By the way there is also Largemouth Bass fishing in a few man-made lakes such as Presa de Hatillo and Taveras as well as a few others.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'll be spending 3 weeks on the Island starting 3/13/04, I'll be traveling along the north coast. I was thinking it might be a good way to pass some lazy days just fishing from shore.

Joe

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Cya,

There is some excellent surf fishing in the DR. Do a search on DR1 and you will find various post giving advice(Mostly mine) on where and the type of tackle to use.
Not many real fisherman post on DR1 and the few are of the type who think they have to drag a Bait through the ocean from a big boat while using 80Lbs line to catch a 20lb fish.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Hey Tony:

I did a search on your posts about surf-fishing. I'm still laughing my a.s off.

You obviously have never been surf-fishing. What you describe is actually flats fishing from the beach?

Surf-fishing is done in areas where the open ocean breaks into the waves close to the shore-line where some species will lurk just beyond those breaking waves looking to slam small baitfish or the ocasional crab that gets caught in the rolling water.

Flats fishing on the other hand is done in shallow water usually protected by a barrier reef. Species include the "ghost of the flats"or Bonefish, jacks, barricuda, sharks etc. Flats fishing is usually done by boat or if the water is really shallow by wading.

Fishing for Cuda is really not fishing though, most REAL fisherman consider them more of a nausance than sport. My 6 year old loves to fish them though lol.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
If you fish from a beach it is surf fishing. maybe not the kind of blind fishing they do up north but it is still fishing in the surf.
I guess people like to bash the 'Cuda because of its reputation as being toxic and because it has the habit of stealing people fish before it is boated. Think of it. The Cuda has the speed of the bonefish and the leaping ability of the tarpon. Both of these fish are much sought after gamefish that nobody really eats. So what makes it different than the 'Cuda? As for the "Real Fisherman" Comment I suggest you ask Jim Anson, Chico Fernandez or Skip Pallot what they think of Barracudas.
You may call a Cuda a nusance fish but for me I enjoy the challenge of a 20 lb+ cuda at the end of my 8-wt flyline with a 12lb tippet! Of course I am the type who enjoys the sport of fishing. I prefer wading out on a early incomming tide stalking bones, permit, tarpon and 'Cudas with a fly or artificial much more than listening to the drone of diesels pulling some dead ballyhoo or mullets through the water. I must admit that a Sailfish on a fly is good fun. Bonita on Light tackle is cool. Tuna? I rather pull up an anchor! Grouper, Snapper? They don't call them bottom feeders for nothing.
My all time favorite type of fishing is when I have some spare time and pull out my 7wt flyrod and stalk the canals and creeks of South Florida for Small Tarpon, Snook and Peacock bass.

Catch & release dude!

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Tony,

I'm with you...I enjoy the sport. I catch & release unless its going on the grill.
Hope to meet you in the shallows sometime.

Tight lines....Joah