Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyS

Mar 8, 2004
I will be making my first trip to the DR at the end of this week. I am flying into Puerto Plata and staying in Cabarete. How much should I expect to pay a taxi for the ride from the airport to my hotel? Is there an alternative way to travel, or is taxi the best way? I do not believe I have an "airport transfer" as part of my package.

In addition, any feedback on the best places to eat/drink/hang out in Cabarete or nearby are greatly appreciate.

TonyS

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
A taxi is the best mode of transportation for you . I am not sure what the listed rate is at the airport from POP to Cabarete but it is probably 20 dollars. when you exit the airport, you will be hounded by guys trying to lead you to a taxi. Dont let them take your bags as they will only be walking you 5 feet to the nearest taxi and then look for a tip. Just walk over to the taxis yourself and ask how much. If they quote you at 20 dollars, offer them 15. If they say "no" then stand off to the side for a couple of minutes. When the amount of tourists exiting the airport thins out, you will have guys fighting over you to take you for 15 dollars.

I know the 5 bucks seems insignificant but these guys, like anyone selling or providing any service on the north coast, overchanrge tourists for everything. The same cab you have to pay 20 dollars for, a Dominican will be charged 10. It's a matter of principle to refuse to pay the asking price. As well as that, as they get to know your face, they will have much more respect for you.

Have a good trip.
Larry

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
TonyS said:
I will be making my first trip to the DR at the end of this week. I am flying into Puerto Plata and staying in Cabarete. How much should I expect to pay a taxi for the ride from the airport to my hotel? Is there an alternative way to travel, or is taxi the best way? I do not believe I have an "airport transfer" as part of my package.

In addition, any feedback on the best places to eat/drink/hang out in Cabarete or nearby are greatly appreciate.

TonyS

The Taxi to Cabarete will run you 20 US. The alternative if you dont have a lot of luggage is to walk out to the main highway(10 minutes) and wait for the gua gua or publico for 10 pesos (20 cents). Depending on the time of day you shouldnt have to wait very long. There you will also get a taxi or motoconcho for much cheaper. probably about two dollars.

Once in Cabarete have breakfast at Dicks Bakery on the main drag or Las Brisas on the beach. Lunch at Lax( great pizza). Party at the Bamboo Hut until later then head for Onnos and Las Brisas

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Winnipegger said:
The Taxi to Cabarete will run you 20 US. The alternative if you dont have a lot of luggage is to walk out to the main highway(10 minutes) and wait for the gua gua or publico for 10 pesos (20 cents). Depending on the time of day you shouldnt have to wait very long. There you will also get a taxi or motoconcho for much cheaper. probably about two dollars.

Good advice but bear in mind it is a good 10 minute walk out to the highway.

Larry

TonyS

Mar 8, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up. Because I will have some heavy bags with me I think I will try to negotiate something at the airport.

As a follow-up, I have been reading about the currency issue - US $ or DR pesos. The advice to use DR pesos seems good. Thus, is it better to go to a DR ATM and take out money in DR pesos, or carry $$ from the US and then convert to DR pesos somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.