Wireless phone service

flyguy

Feb 18, 2004
Will Canadian cell/wireless phones work in The DR? Can I switch providers from Bell to ??? after I move or is it better to buy a new phone in country? What plans/rates are available? Do the local providers have a web-site?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Buy an Orange Phone and Use a Phone Card

flyguy said:
Will Canadian cell/wireless phones work in The DR? Can I switch providers from Bell to ??? after I move or is it better to buy a new phone in country? What plans/rates are available? Do the local providers have a web-site?

You should be able to get a new Orange phone for around US$30 and have it activated and used with the calling cards. This is infinitely simpler than trying to figure out network protocols, adding a second NAM, activating the phone to get a DR # which may cost as much as buying a phone. Once you leave if you aren't coming back give it away as a gift. You can receive calls for free on DR cell phones and the local rate per minute is tolerable. Calls back to Canada of any length are best made from a calling shop.

There are monthly plans like in Canada but new residents probably can't qulaify for them as easily as just buying pay as you use card based phones.

ride2hard

Feb 11, 2004
flyguy

"flyguy"

who is your service provider in canada for your cellular service? if you give us this information we can definitely help you better...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My sister lives in Windsor Ont. and she travels every so often to DR, she has a GSM/GPRS enabled cell phone, so far she has been able to place and receive calls to her cell while in the DR, however she bought a Verizon cell phone in the DR, and uses it everytime she goes there, it's far more cheaper than trying to place long calls from your Canadian cell phone while roaming in the DR, you can also try the Orange cell service as it's on par with Verizon's service in the DR.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
When All is Said and Done

Regardless of who you use in Canada, CDMA, GSM, etc., it is far easier to just buy a phone on arrival from Orange or Codetel and use it and skip all the hullaballoo about roaming, activating and all that stuff which will probably cost as much anyway.

I have met two types of cell phone users - those who just spent the $30 or $40 and got a new phone (aka happy as clams) and those who spend hours at Orange or Codetel trying to add a 2nd number, unlock a phone to change it and activate it in the DR etc. Yes, I know it can in some cases be done f you have a good technician and he knows the phones and the codes and all that jazz but it is easier to just drop the pennies and start anew. Keep life simple.

You can go into Orange and come out with a phone in 15 minutes and they will even program it so the menus on the phone and all the help line menus when you call in to add time etc. are in English.

flyguy

Feb 18, 2004
Canadian cell phones

I currently have a Canadian cell phone with Bell Mobility which I would like to keep when I move to the DR, as it has an integrated Palm Pilot, however this is not an absloute "must have", just a "nice to have". I would like to explore the easiest, least expensive way of having a cell phone (with voicemail) in the DR. I would like to use my cell phone exclusively (no landline). Looking for any input/expieriences if this is possible or recommended. I have heard of three provider's operating in the DR. Orange/Codetel/Verizon. Are thier any others? Orange seems to be the #1 choice. If I buy a phone in the DR, will it work on return trips to Canada? Any thoughts/input, much appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am not very familiar with Canadian cell phone carriers, but whether or not you can use your current phone depends upon its technology. If it is CDMA or GSM, it can probably be activated here. If it is TDMA, it cannot. Orange is GSM and Verizon and Codetel (Centennial too, I think) are CDMA.

One thing to check would be if you have more than one NAM on the phone. If so, and if it is CDMA or GSM, it should be possible to have dual activation. If it has only one NAM, getting it activated here will overwrite the programming from your Canadian service provider.

If it does have two NAMS, you might want to consider having the Canadian number moved to the second NAM. When Codetel activated my Verizon phone here, they overwrote on NAM 1, and when I went back, I had to have the phone reprogrammed for Verizon service.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Use the palm Pilot part as a Palm Pilot

flyguy said:
I currently have a Canadian cell phone with Bell Mobility which I would like to keep when I move to the DR, as it has an integrated Palm Pilot

The Cdn phone will still operate as a Palm right? (Better yet since an adequate Palm Vx is CDN $90 buy that).

If you insist on this route and money is not an issue find out from Bell what protocol they use (Rogers is TDMA and newer service GSM, Fido is GSM, no idea what Bell and Telus are, one assumes they are CDMA and if they also have world phones, GSM) then find out which service in the DR will work with that phone (Orange is GSM, Codetel, which is now called Verizon since they own it, isn't - they are CDMA I think) .

Then find a competent shop to do the dual NAM thing and heed the warning about having the CDN NAM wiped out, hope that they can unlock it (if it isn't a paid up contract with Bell you may not be able to add NAM's to it) , pay a pile, hope they do it in a few days, hope they don't wreck it, and then you have a dual use phone.

Or do what I have seen 99% of regulars do, if you are living in the DR just get a new phone (minus Palm Pilot, camera, MP3 player all of which work better in devices designed for that purpose).

Orange is popular because they are seemingly everywhere (and basic phones are dirt cheap) - I use Codetel and get better service than Orange in some areas. I phone someone from Canada who has Orange and at times it is a chore getting through. Of course you don't have a choice if you bring a phone since you will have to find the carrier that meets the phone's specs.

Another option is to go to a compra venta store, buy a street girls pawned phone and have it reactivated. I have considered that to get a smaller and fancier phone at times but them common sense surrounds me, I realize my phone is just a phone and actually makes and receives calls and then I forget it.

And never, never roam even if roaming seems to work - you will pay a bundle per minute local or to N. America.

Last edited:

ride2hard

Feb 11, 2004
"flyguy"

here goes...

bell mobility is a confirmed CDMA carrier. therefore you can subscribe to Verzion, Tricom, or Centennial mobile service when you get to DR.

kevin@bongowireless.com toronto
shashwat.bhavsar@just-talk.com
calson_wireless@hotmail.com toronto
contact@gsmexpert.net
http://www.globalmob.com

since you didn't give us your current mobile fone mobile, go ahead and email the above persons and request a quote to unlock your fone, and ask if your fone has dual NAM capability.

now if i were you and wanted a palm operated device i'd check out

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/overview.asp
http://www.attwireless.com/personal/products/phones.jhtml?titleNumber=5

listed on those web sites are the palm devices, get the model you want and purchase one SIM free from the above retailers or on www.ebay.com . any fone from those carriers can be used on www.orange.com.do .

pls let us know if you need anymore help...

flyguy

Feb 18, 2004
Cell Phones

Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the info for connecting a cell phone in the DR. My ultimate decision is now well informed and educated, thanks to all the help from this board.

Also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using a wireless phone only. I would like to anid the hassle of a landline as I have heard it is time consuming, expensive and unreliable. Can one survive with just a cell? Is it reliable? is it recommended?

Thanks again, Marc

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Depends

flyguy said:
Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the info for connecting a cell phone in the DR. My ultimate decision is now well informed and educated, thanks to all the help from this board.

Also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using a wireless phone only. I would like to anid the hassle of a landline as I have heard it is time consuming, expensive and unreliable. Can one survive with just a cell? Is it reliable? is it recommended?

Thanks again, Marc

When people call there the land line from Codetel is almost always better qaulity and more reliable to connect to than any cell phone. That said, I receive calls from Canada on my Codetel phone and they are usually very good. When I call an Orange phone from here it connects maybe 1/2 the time and 1/2 of those times I have to call back.

If you were running a business or getting LOTS of calls from N. America the pand line is the better one or in addition to the cell.