need advice for visa

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
I have had a hearing aid project in the DR for five years and volunteered with an orphanage group for a couple of years before that. I have a Dominican friend who I have trained to make earmolds and he is very good. I want to bring him to the US for further training so he could do everything related to hearing aids but he is poor and we were turned down. I was told that unless he had a full time job in the DR there was no way he could get a visa. I said if he had a full time job in the DR he wouldn't need to come to the States for training but that didn't make any difference. Does anybody have some advice on getting a visitor's visa? He would only need to be in the US about 3 months.
Earlady

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Do a Search, Prepare to be Disappointed

earlady said:
I have had a hearing aid project in the DR for five years and volunteered with an orphanage group for a couple of years before that. I have a Dominican friend who I have trained to make earmolds and he is very good. I want to bring him to the US for further training so he could do everything related to hearing aids but he is poor and we were turned down. I was told that unless he had a full time job in the DR there was no way he could get a visa. I said if he had a full time job in the DR he wouldn't need to come to the States for training but that didn't make any difference. Does anybody have some advice on getting a visitor's visa? He would only need to be in the US about 3 months.
Earlady

Without decent assets and income and things to ensure he returns to the DR, the US INS is unlikely to grant a visa for any reason. If you search on Visa or Visitor Visa you'll see the general dearth of bad news. Best of luck this sounds like a truly good cause.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The problem, earlady, is that when it was much easier for Dominicans to get visas to visit the US so few returned at the end of the visa period. Adding to the problem is that for many years those Dominicans who settled in the US were responsible, law abiding people. But now many Dominicans have been identified as being in the drug business, etc.

These are among the reasons why the US government now insists that people getting visas have a good reason for returning to the DR and has sufficient assets to support themselves.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
earlady said:
Earlady

Sadly enough unless he marries a US citizen is very unlikely he will get to step one foot in US soil, current economic conditions and the everyday new requirements added to the long list by the US consulate in the DR makes this an impossibility, so just let this one slide under the things you can't make it happen and try to finish the training in the DR otherwise getting a tourist visa to Mexico may be an easier choice and once there visit the local US consulate and try to make your case there for his entry, otherwise there's no way he's going to make it here.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Ken said:
The problem, earlady, is that when it was much easier for Dominicans to get visas to visit the US so few returned at the end of the visa period. Adding to the problem is that for many years those Dominicans who settled in the US were responsible, law abiding people. But now many Dominicans have been identified as being in the drug business, etc.

These are among the reasons why the US government now insists that people getting visas have a good reason for returning to the DR and has sufficient assets to support themselves.

The problem isn't even close to that!, for many years the US operated and maintained two Consulates in the DR, one still in the Capital the other in Santiago, this has to do with the way the US dealt with problematic individuals once they were identified, they were sent to Miami, NY or Puerto Rico and kept tabs on these individuals while trying to have them assimilate as much as possible the semantics of US culture and capitalistic ways, Visas were issued in 5 and 10 year lengths, to renew you only had to sent the passport by mail with a DR $ fee, since most of the opposition concentrated on highly educated and from well to do families, these young people were very reluctant to go study overseas in the US, yet many Campesinos took the invitation and came in mass to the US, establishing a strong and diverse Dominican Community mostly in the city of NY, these newcomers started setting Bodegas from the Latino-owned ones that existed at the time most of them owned by Puerto Ricans and Italians, they transformed these business to very successful extremes, many later moved on to Supermarkets and such, the vast majority of well to do Dominican Families opted to travel to Europe and some Latin American countries in those days, just as you can see the presence of European designer's clothing and goods in those years it was more heavily present than now, after the boom of the illicit drugs in the US, many young Dominican Kids that never had experience the pressure and violence that had the city of NY in it's grip during those years were pulled into gangs and criminal enterprises with the lure of easy money, but if you compare the number of Dominicans incarcerated or deported for crimes relating to illicit drugs or money laundering against counterparts in the Puerto Rican, Cuban, Italian, Russian, Irish and so many others to be able to list then here you can quickly see that the percentage difference is astronomically huge in the number of Dominicans who emigrated to the US against those who were convicted of crimes, drugs etc. it's way in the low ratios compared to many other racial or nationality percentages.

The real problem it's that many of the new immigrants coming to the US from the DR are for the most part family members and spouses which could just as easy fall in the category of poverty or marginally over it, therefore becoming themselves a burden to taxpayers in this country, yet even after the now defunct INS had petitioner fill a secondary guaranteer if they didn't fulfill the requirements for a safety of becoming a burden the agency rarely acted upon it, you can't do much if you don't enforce your own rules, as they say in DR "Perro que ladra no muerde", yet the new rules do too little to regulate or compensate or anything else for that matter about the real problems like the mentioned herein, the problem is quite simple and yet an awful one, many US cities and towns are in danger of disappearing altogether, in part because most baby boomers chose to move into metropolitan cities, the trend of Americans on keeping the family to an small number sometimes one or two has wreck havoc in many cities now gone, the only way many cities cope with this huge problem it's with an influx of new immigrants, yet the new faces are evoking the feelings felt by those who saw the streets in Brooklyn and lower Manhattan filled with a mass of recent arrivals of Italians and Irish after them and so on, change it's a good thing but fear of the unknown it's far more stronger than hopes, just as today we can witness the influx of US citizens, Canadians, Germans, French, Italians and many other nationals coming to settle in the DR, a newfoundland and many of them living on retirement funds not a great deal in their home countries but one that offers them quite a comfortable living in the DR, The Dr possesses own of the richest melting pots in the world, enough to rival NY itself, because no matter from where they came or keep coming everybody enjoys a Sancocho and a Ceniza, something you can't say in many other countries, and once in the DR you feel at home, because nobody's is trying to tell you to go home because you're home!, just as we speak an unique mix of original languages and dialects, Dominican Spanish is unique to it's own, a mixture of Gypsy and Spaniard, English, French you name it we have it.

We allow those who come to be part of our history and daily grind, the only country where the poorest of the poor may not have a prune to chew but would dance to a tune in cue.

Say this say that, at the end of the day nobody who has ever come to the DR has forgotten how to return there, because once you know it you don't want to ever leave it.

Last edited:

blong

Sep 30, 2003
I would agree with Ken in that the "US government now insists that people getting visas have a good reason for returning to the DR and has sufficient assets to support themselves" which seems reasonable enough.

I would totally disagree with Pichardo who so clearly is just making things up. For example: "The Dr (sic) possesses own (sic) of the richest melting pots in the world, enough to rival NY itself"

There's probably in the neighborhood of 140 languages from around the world spoken in NYC. If you take a look at the 2000 census (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/sociopp.pdf)35.9% of people in NYC were born outside of the US and 48% of the population speak a langauage other than English at home.

According to the New York (city), Microsoft? Encarta? Online Encyclopedia 2004, "New York has been the most ethnically diverse city in the world since the 1640s". (http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761576416/New_York_(city).html)

How often in DR is does a guy from Bangladesh enter a Korean deli to order a bagel with lox from a clerk from Peru? In NY that sort of thing happens many times every day.

As far as getting a visa did you try under the M-1 visa category? The basic requirement of showing the intention to return after the learning program is over still exists but the process is suppossed to be improved under the Student Exchange and Visitors Program (SEVP). you can take a look at it, http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/tempbenefits/StudVisas.htm

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this make more sense

As far as getting a visa did you try under the M-1 visa category? The basic requirement of showing the intention to return after the learning program is over still exists but the process is suppossed to be improved under the Student Exchange and Visitors Program (SEVP). you can take a look at it, http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/...s/StudVisas.htm

thanks BLONG

I was thinking that if there is a recognized course of study, with a well recognized institution behind it, it should be worked out.

However, such a talented person has little reason to return here when he can disappear into the melting pot of NYC and earn plenty of money..Just my 2?

HB, who suspects Pichardo is a Commie infiltrator, trained inthe USSR....hehehe

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Tutti gli agenti attivi nella Repubblica Dominicana
Il HillBilly deve essere terminato sul luogo, tutti gli agenti portano l'avviso..
fare attenzione poich? sono saputi per lanciare dollari e confonde il nemico.

Signed:
La Cosa Nostra

hehehehe LOL :chinese:

Taaa Raaa ta taaara tararara, tararaaaaa
Taaa Raaa ta taaata tararara, taaaaraaaaraaahh
tareeraraaa tareeraaraa...

Lo skullker di mezzanotte attacca ancora>>>

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D@mn you are good.!

All I ever learned was something lika "ah fangul," or soemthing like that.

Anyway let's not steal the thread. Hope the lady gets her guy up there..

HB

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
PICHARDO said:
The problem isn't even close to that!, for many years the US operated and maintained two Consulates in the DR, one still in the Capital the other in Santiago, this has to do with the way the US dealt with problematic individuals once they were identified, they were sent to Miami, NY or Puerto Rico and kept tabs on these individuals while trying to have them assimilate as much as possible the semantics of US culture and capitalistic ways, Visas were issued in 5 and 10 year lengths, to renew you only had to sent the passport by mail with a DR $ fee, since most of the opposition concentrated on highly educated and from well to do families, these young people were very reluctant to go study overseas in the US, yet many Campesinos took the invitation and came in mass to the US, establishing a strong and diverse Dominican Community mostly in the city of NY, these newcomers started setting Bodegas from the Latino-owned ones that existed at the time most of them owned by Puerto Ricans and Italians, they transformed these business to very successful extremes, many later moved on to Supermarkets and such, the vast majority of well to do Dominican Families opted to travel to Europe and some Latin American countries in those days, just as you can see the presence of European designer's clothing and goods in those years it was more heavily present than now, after the boom of the illicit drugs in the US, many young Dominican Kids that never had experience the pressure and violence that had the city of NY in it's grip during those years were pulled into gangs and criminal enterprises with the lure of easy money, but if you compare the number of Dominicans incarcerated or deported for crimes relating to illicit drugs or money laundering against counterparts in the Puerto Rican, Cuban, Italian, Russian, Irish and so many others to be able to list then here you can quickly see that the percentage difference is astronomically huge in the number of Dominicans who emigrated to the US against those who were convicted of crimes, drugs etc. it's way in the low ratios compared to many other racial or nationality percentages.

The real problem it's that many of the new immigrants coming to the US from the DR are for the most part family members and spouses which could just as easy fall in the category of poverty or marginally over it, therefore becoming themselves a burden to taxpayers in this country, yet even after the now defunct INS had petitioner fill a secondary guaranteer if they didn't fulfill the requirements for a safety of becoming a burden the agency rarely acted upon it, you can't do much if you don't enforce your own rules, as they say in DR "Perro que ladra no muerde", yet the new rules do too little to regulate or compensate or anything else for that matter about the real problems like the mentioned herein, the problem is quite simple and yet an awful one, many US cities and towns are in danger of disappearing altogether, in part because most baby boomers chose to move into metropolitan cities, the trend of Americans on keeping the family to an small number sometimes one or two has wreck havoc in many cities now gone, the only way many cities cope with this huge problem it's with an influx of new immigrants, yet the new faces are evoking the feelings felt by those who saw the streets in Brooklyn and lower Manhattan filled with a mass of recent arrivals of Italians and Irish after them and so on, change it's a good thing but fear of the unknown it's far more stronger than hopes, just as today we can witness the influx of US citizens, Canadians, Germans, French, Italians and many other nationals coming to settle in the DR, a newfoundland and many of them living on retirement funds not a great deal in their home countries but one that offers them quite a comfortable living in the DR, The Dr possesses own of the richest melting pots in the world, enough to rival NY itself, because no matter from where they came or keep coming everybody enjoys a Sancocho and a Ceniza, something you can't say in many other countries, and once in the DR you feel at home, because nobody's is trying to tell you to go home because you're home!, just as we speak an unique mix of original languages and dialects, Dominican Spanish is unique to it's own, a mixture of Gypsy and Spaniard, English, French you name it we have it.

We allow those who come to be part of our history and daily grind, the only country where the poorest of the poor may not have a prune to chew but would dance to a tune in cue.

Say this say that, at the end of the day nobody who has ever come to the DR has forgotten how to return there, because once you know it you don't want to ever leave it.
Your last line says it all. I don't know that I really want to live in the DR - I get frustrated with many things there. And sometimes, even though I've visited there 30 times, I feel like I understand things less than I did after I'd only visited a couple of times. But I love and respect the people and the culture and feel like I've come home when the plane lands.

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
blong said:
I would agree with Ken in that the "US government now insists that people getting visas have a good reason for returning to the DR and has sufficient assets to support themselves" which seems reasonable enough.

I would totally disagree with Pichardo who so clearly is just making things up. For example: "The Dr (sic) possesses own (sic) of the richest melting pots in the world, enough to rival NY itself"

There's probably in the neighborhood of 140 languages from around the world spoken in NYC. If you take a look at the 2000 census (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/sociopp.pdf)35.9% of people in NYC were born outside of the US and 48% of the population speak a langauage other than English at home.

According to the New York (city), Microsoft? Encarta? Online Encyclopedia 2004, "New York has been the most ethnically diverse city in the world since the 1640s". (http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761576416/New_York_(city).html)

How often in DR is does a guy from Bangladesh enter a Korean deli to order a bagel with lox from a clerk from Peru? In NY that sort of thing happens many times every day.

As far as getting a visa did you try under the M-1 visa category? The basic requirement of showing the intention to return after the learning program is over still exists but the process is suppossed to be improved under the Student Exchange and Visitors Program (SEVP). you can take a look at it, http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/tempbenefits/StudVisas.htm
As I recall, my problem with that visa is that he would not be attending a formal school. He would be doing on the job training in my office and at one of the hearing aid manufacturers.