extracted from rental house by police

mrhotshot

Jan 9, 2004
on Feb. 4, 2004 at 9:00am, my family was extracted from a contractually rented house by 15 armed police and about 8 plain cloths thugs. my wife was held at gunpoint unable to use the bathroom. All of our new furniture has been destroyed we were unable to touch anything in the house and a witness saw one of the plain cloths put a sony digimax camera valued at$400.00usd in his pocket. The woman that rented the house continues to say that she bought the house from a man and the man had problems with the bank. Iam now stuck in a little apartment and waited and paid a month phone bill (VIP Flash). my wife is disgusted and wishes to return to the states but i hold a cedular and love the island, iam on SSD and wish to retire and invest. to my understanding of the law there must be a 5 day notice to vacate, we have seen no notice. The woman that rented the house has only returned the deposit and said iam sorry. the embassy said to call an obogado but no one will touch it. Fabio if you read this please P.M. me and advise. Iam on SSD and only wish to retire and invest. I currently reside in La Romana.

Thanks all for support

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mrhs, Fabio will get to your post in time, but you may be able to speed things up by emailing him at info@drlawyer.com

Good luck. I can understand your wife's feelings; an experience like that would sour anyone on living here.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
From what you posted I can only assume the following:

1) you rented a house from X
2) even before you rented the house, X had the house mortgaged to a bank
3) X didn't pay the bank
4) the bank foreclosed on the house
5) after foreclosure whoever bought the house in public auction got police protection (15 policemen in your case) and a bailiff, 2 witnesses and some other help (the 8 thugs you refer to) and took possession of his or her property.

The only missing information here is whether you were at some point were notified that the house was in a foreclosure procedure ("embargo").

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
This stinks

Sorry about your bad time. This is the kind of post that will help future DR travellers.

If it would have been my family there would have been a huge scene. I could see it becoming a huge media event. After the dogs got taken care of they would have had to deal with a ticked off wife and a sober(9:00am) and ticked off me. Do they have news helicopters in th DR? Could have turned into a Waco, Tx incident.

mrhotshot

Jan 9, 2004
thanks

Drugdog said:
Sorry about your bad time. This is the kind of post that will help future DR travellers.

If it would have been my family there would have been a huge scene. I could see it becoming a huge media event. After the dogs got taken care of they would have had to deal with a ticked off wife and a sober(9:00am) and ticked off me. Do they have news helicopters in th DR? Could have turned into a Waco, Tx incident.

just don't get off on 10 shotguns in my gut i felt the sameway

Mr_AmericanMan

Mar 6, 2004
Cover all bases!

I heard your story.
Listen send a letter and email to Fox News and CNN.
For real also send one to Bill Oriely. He loves things like this.
Get it in the news.
Follow up on this until you have made contact with a real person.
John :smoke:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sometimes it helps to know Spanish

I really cannot understand how this can happen--legally, that is.

Somebody in the house messed up.

They didn't understand the Notice of Eviction when it was presented to them, or they just signed for the papers and put them in a corner...

This does not usually happen to anyone with a little bit of gumption.

the woman that rented the house should be sued for damages, and so should the owner of the property.

This is a mess...

HB

mrhotshot

Jan 9, 2004
no notice

Hillbilly said:
I really cannot understand how this can happen--legally, that is.

Somebody in the house messed up.

They didn't understand the Notice of Eviction when it was presented to them, or they just signed for the papers and put them in a corner...

This does not usually happen to anyone with a little bit of gumption.

the woman that rented the house should be sued for damages, and so should the owner of the property.

This is a mess...
actually Hillbilly i failed to say the woman rented us my family the house contractually, obogado and all, she claims as landlord she was caught by suprise when she showed up at the home two blocks away from her own house on the day of action she claims she received no notice, my self or my family recieved no notice spanish or no spanish i know paper when i see it and have had a simple obogado since i have been on the isle. From what i understand is 5 days notice is required by law, the woman that rented the house to us claims she recieved no such notice neither did we. It was 9:00am wham bam and no thank you mam. we got hard core evicted in about 30 mins. Armed guards were at the house day and night for about two weeks. I just paid the landlord the rent the day before and she said nothing I have the receipt of payment.

Thanks for any help

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get another obogado

BTW, that's ABOGADO. And sue the old obogado and the landlady all to hell and gone. they messed up.

the "landlady" had to know that the house was under an eviction notice..

Demand to see the process papers at the bank that evicted you. they have to be signed by someone! as received.....The "aguacil" has to be able to prove he served the papers, and where and to whom.. this is a real clusterphuck. Go see the head of the bank. If a foreign owned bank, complain to the head office.

Get as many documents as possible. Sue, Sue Sue.....

HB