Your favorite place in DR...

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
What is your favorite place in DR?

It could be a city, a region, a barrio, a beach, a specific location - any place in DR where you would always rather be at - a place that brings back good memories - a place where you feel most comfortable - where you are happiest - wherever!!

For me, it would be at my friend's house in Santiago (in El Inco) - sitting in the shade of the guayaba tree in late afternoon, talking to the guys from the neighborhood as they return from work, sharing our perspectives of the world, buying each other a few pequenas from Fermin at the colmado, the music from Kelvin's in the distance at a soft/maneagable volume. It is this atmosphere where I feel best in DR and where the world's problems seem most distant.

So, where is your favorite place in DR?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Manabao

There's this remote little town up in the Cordillera central about ten miles and 5,000feet west of jarabacoa. The Yaque del norte cascades down the mountains by this "aldea". Lots of pear trees grow in this region where the days are warm and nights are almost cold 45-50 degrees? On a cloudless night you could see a most spectacular starry sky. People are friendly and courteous. there's no electric service or plumbing. everyone knows one another. Beautifull flowers everywhere. Blissfull.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For me it would be Baqui.

It's a country settlement (ie. a Campo) in the Vega Real within the province of La Vega. The area is chock full of Royal palms, Bermuda Grass grows everywhere, lots of fruit trees and very well maintained wooden and very attractive cinder blocks homes along the trails. The area catches a nice smooth breaze every once a while and it's just heavenly. No motores around, only a rare car and men on horses and donkeys waving a big hello as they pass by your property. The people are so humble and nice that it's like a universe within the universe that is the Dominican Republic. It's heavenly!

Other than that, I like the area around the Masipedro River in Bonao. Very nice area (naturally speaking) with a nice combo of plains and moutains, but it gets increasingly disturbed by the masses of dominicans that party party party while visiting the Rio, drunking rum by the buckets, and eating pork, chicken, and rice being sold by haitians and dominicans along the riverbanks. But that is part of what it is to be part of la Republica Dominicana.

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Bar Mamasita, El Pequenio Refugio,Cabarete

We call it Nelson's Bar after the guy who works there. So nice and welcoming.
Happy hour 2 cocktails for price of 1.
5pm...just come off the water from windsurfing, sun starting to go down...
ahhhhh!! Not long now 7 weeks to go!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Favorite place in DR

Chris_NJ said:
What is your favorite place in DR?
It could be a city, a region, a barrio, a beach, a specific location - any place in DR where you would always rather be at - a place that brings back good memories - a place where you feel most comfortable - where you are happiest - wherever!!

for me personally I'd have to say Samana. What a gorgeous, tranquil place. We vacation in Casa de Campo every August w/out fail, but a trip to Samana is always on the itinerary. Absolutely lovely!!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Sorry guys but the MOST BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLL PLACE in the DR is SAMANA`

yes yes yes XAMANA` SAMANA` Santa Barbara de Samana` yup tne best the most beautiful.............. aHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHhhhh! i love it!

:bunny:​

I love SAMANA` love it............................... :bunny:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I must say I am torn between the excitement in Cabarete and the tranquil beaches of Las Galeras, Samana.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
samiam said:
I must say I am torn between the excitement in Cabarete and the tranquil beaches of Las Galeras, Samana.

Myself, I'm torn between Barahona and Las Terranes (the falls are incredible). Both beautiful parts of the country...

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
dr15.jpg
Samana' still on the lead, take a look at the beautiful bay.
SamanaBay1.jpg

TB001740_ss.jpg

Def_Ma1.jpg

CAYO LEVANTADO
DR3-Samana%20Safari-21-Bacardi.jpg

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Torn between Estadio Cibao during an aguilas licey game at payoff time, San Jose de las Matas in January, Playa El Morro in Monte Cristi in June, my back porch looking at mount isabela at night.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I was thinking about that stadium, also.

I went to an Aguilas game in Dec. 2002 and got second row seats behind the dugout for the same price as Yankees bleacher seats. Not to mention the big plate of food and bottle of Brugal/Coke for less than what a soda would cost.

It was definitely my favorite baseball experience.

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
Favorite place in DR

The Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Wandering around the streets, shopping in the markets, exploring the ruins and old fortifications, watching the pidgeons at the cathedral square, people watching, the nightlife.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Listening to tunes, sitting outside a Colmadon and watching the lovelies walk by. The view from Altos de Chavon. Walking down the Malecon in Santo Domingo when the streets are closed on Sundays.

Last but not least, going to visit your grandparents en el campo. Hating it as a kid, but now appreciating the authenticity of the people and their lives.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
NY1 said:
Listening to tunes, sitting outside a Colmadon and watching the lovelies walk by. The view from Altos de Chavon. Walking down the Malecon in Santo Domingo when the streets are closed on Sundays.

Last but not least, going to visit your grandparents en el campo. Hating it as a kid, but now appreciating the authenticity of the people and their lives.

Oh Lord *COLMADON* and NICE PLACE Don't belong together on a sentence

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I must say that I love everything in DR, but I do think that the perfect place is my mom's house - I LOVE Najayo beach and Palenque Beach near San Cristobal. Both you can EAT, DRINK and DANCE all day and night!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bahia de las Aguilas on the west coast. This is now part of a National Park. When I lived in Cabo Rojo we would often go spearfishing in the Bay and about noon meet up with the Alcoa staff boats and have cookouts on the beach. Big kettles of peanut oil for frying Capitan and Barracuda, water for langosta (lobster) and congrejo (Crabs). All topped off with fried plantain. I cannot eat seafood but in those days when everything was fresh I could handle it. The real adventures were crossing from the Bahia over to Isla Beata in a 35 ft. cabin cruiser. Some of the waves would get up to 10-15 ft. Was quite a ride. And at that time there were no tourists littering the beach or the bay. It was just short of Paradise.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My favorite place to relax is when sitting on my sister-in-laws front porch in Santa Lena, Jaya, San Francisco de Macoris. Just North of SFM about 1/2 way up the mountain. In the spring there is nothing like the orange colored flowers of the Amapola blanketing the canopy of these large trees. They provide shade cover for the cacoa trees.

My best view, almost at the top of Quita Espuela looking down on SFM.

The best beach area, Las Terrenas.

Favourite place

WOW there are so many beautiful places in the DR, it is hard to pick one.

Nelson's bar 2 for 1, hell just ask Cabarete Cid about LAX in Cabarete, the don't have 2 for one but will charge you twice (2 for 1), don't ever make the mistake of ordering on the beach and when you need refills go inside and get them and pay for them all, because they will charge you for what you had on the beach again and have a very short memory about the others being paid for. Xanadu will remember the argument about the 400 peso's, it will be snowing at LAX before I would return there.

? <font size="1"><font color="Navy">Wud <i>aka</i> </font></font><font size="5"><font color="Blue"><b><font face="Signature">Hlywud </font></b></font></font><i><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed">"Hosed once but never twice, I don't get mad, I get even"</font></font></i></div>

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Tom F. said:
My favorite place to relax is when sitting on my sister-in-laws front porch in Santa Lena, Jaya, San Francisco de Macoris. Just North of SFM about 1/2 way up the mountain. In the spring there is nothing like the orange colored flowers of the Amapola blanketing the canopy of these large trees. They provide shade cover for the cacoa trees.

My best view, almost at the top of Quita Espuela looking down on SFM.

The best beach area, Las Terrenas.

I wish I could be there right now. And how did you get to the top of Quita Espuela, it's one of the highest peaks down there :eek: :surprised