native Spanish speaker calls DR "The Dominican"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Yes. It REALLLLLLLY Does!

MaineGirl said:
Really, does it grate on expat's ears? Do native speakers (Dominicans) care? Will RickToronto have an aneurysm if he hears this one more time?
Please explain why you think it's relevant what a native Spanish speaker calls his country in English. As has been demonstrated, most native English speakers have a less than adequate grasp of their own language. I don't pay any attention to their feeble protestations that it should be acceptable simply because someone else does it. Why should I pay any attention to someone saying that who doesn't speak the language as his primary, and in all probability learned it from an old Canadian girlfriend who was similarly linguistically challenged.

It's not correct - no matter how many times it's misused.

Tom aka XR I can't stop thinking.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MaineGirl said:
So, should we quit bothering people about calling it "The Dominican"?

No.

He is using it in an interview as a casual, "slang" reference to his country. Like the cowboy who said he was going to Chy and his buddies knew he meant Cheyenne.

About 12-15 years ago, the Ministry of Tourism had the idea that the country could be better promoted as Dominican, since Republic had negative connotations in the minds of many people. An ad agency in the US was hired to run the campaign. It soon died, never to be resurrected.

People interested in this country should, at a minimum, know its correct name. And use it.

Dominican Tony

Feb 16, 2004
I have yet to meet a fellow Dominican referring to the Dominican Republic as "the Dominican", unless it is being used as a slang as mentioned, but even like that it is rare for a Dominican to say such thing (we tend to use the D.R. more).....
Do us native Dominican care? well if you ask a Dominican back home, he/she will say Rep?blica Dominicana.....hmmmm, some Dominicans outside the country do call it "Dominicana" sometimes too, which is the equivalent of "the Dominican" in English....regardless both are slangs for the full name of the country but in English it just sounds too off and i will correct a non-Dominican that refers to my country as "the Dominican"; Not that it's a big deal, but there is another smaller island in the Caribbean called Dominica whereas the natives of that island are referred to as Dominicans as well (pronounced differently, but spelled the same).....They have it worst then us Dominicans because they are always confused with being a part of the Dominican Republic.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have heard many Dominican MLB players refer to their country as the "Dominican!" Remember we are talking about Baseball players here. The least educated atheletes of all the major professional sports. the Majority of Football, Basketball and Autoracing have at least some college under their belts. Most baseball players in the US sign right out of high-school. Most Dominican players cannot even claim that.
Peter Gammons is one of those idiots who loves to refer to the DR as "The Dominican" It is like sliding a fork over a chalkboard for me.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ignorance is NOT Bliss.....

MaineGirl said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1753894&partnersite=espn
(3rd paragraph from bottom)

So, should we quit bothering people about calling it "The Dominican"?

I did it until someone "set me straight". Really, does it grate on expat's ears? Do native speakers (Dominicans) care? Will RickToronto have an aneurysm if he hears this one more time?

But you are welcome to lower your standards for anything you want after all "The American" is a free country. It is still wrong and people look enough like ignorant rubes in foreign countries without making a bollocks of the name of the place.

From reading this post this far, it seems you and the baseball guy ("baseball has been berry berry good to me") are alone in your sanction of this dumb-arse expression. Let us know when Oxford hires the baseball guy to help edit the OED as he is a definitive source of language, obviously.

Dominican Tony said:
I have yet to meet a fellow Dominican referring to the Dominican Republic as "the Dominican", unless it is being used as a slang as mentioned, but even like that it is rare for a Dominican to say such thing.
Well, hun, you just met one. I always call the DR Dominican, because saying "dominicana" sounds awkwards to me. Simple differences in taste.
:classic: Virginia

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Only a few more months, Amity, until your one month of summer. Then, for 30 days, you will have more important things to think about. :classic:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Difference in Taste?

VirginiaGomes said:
Well, hun, you just met one. I always call the DR Dominican, because saying "dominicana" sounds awkwards to me. Simple differences in taste.
Yes, having to learn, and actually use, proper grammar and syntax in any language is such a bother! It's not a difference in taste, hun. It's a difference in caring about whether or not you're perceived as an uneducated hick every time you open your mouth.

Where do you live? The United?

Tom aka XR How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
It is definitely not a different in tastes. It is really a matter of not sounding like an ignorant *** when speaking of the country. I find it a bit disrespectful when someone is corected and continues to use the term in that manner.

For those of you who just don't know or don't get :

It is called the Dominican Republic, not " Dominican"

I may have to create a sticky in my forum.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
"If you want to be famous, you have to be prepared to deal with fame. You have to deal with the fans, you have to deal with TV and all that stuff. Those type things doesn't bother me at all, as long as I do my work and concentrate on my work out, it doesn't bother me at all to do it. Growing up in the Dominican, I wasn't poor like a lot of people down there, I was middle class. Where I didn't have everything, my family they did whatever they can to get me a pair of shoes or a pair of batting gloves and just because of the support I have from my family, that is why I am in the big leagues.

from your post URL link...

Are you so blind? don't you see this was edited to the basics by the writers? I would like you to see the actual recorded short interview and match it with the edited post then come back and debate here that a native Dominican would use the term "The Dominican" as implied in the post, it's used very vaguely and in certain situations for which you would need to have a great command of the Dominican Laguage to place it as is, and futhermore the use of the term in the Dominican by any person it's not more than a perpetuating effect of the use of it by so many newcomers whom think that just because they're understood when they use the term it's a given proper use of the language, just as some pointed out in one other post earlier on the term used to name popcorn at movie theathers in the DR as "Cocalecas" the excuse that they are perfectly serve with a bag of "pacon" doesn't mean it's a term used by the broad Dominican population, stop trying to find an excuse for your terrible understanding of the Dominican language and use it to correct your short commings about it, I don't hear people born in the states calling each other "Gringos", so don't perpetuate a misconception as an actual proper use of the language.

PERIOD

pati

Feb 3, 2004
To me it just breaks the general rule of all languages. How many other countries out there do you call the natives by the same name as the actual country?

America=American
Spain=Spanard
Italy=Italian
Dominican=Dominican????????????? It doesn't even sound right.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Is this really an issue?

I agree it grates on the ears, but if I go to the US, I'd very easily say I'm going to the States. I'm sure many of us say that --- Probably equally incorrect but a serious thing reflecting on whether I am educated or not? I don't think so.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Syntax People, Syntax!

Chris said:
I agree it grates on the ears, but if I go to the US, I'd very easily say I'm going to the States. I'm sure many of us say that --- Probably equally incorrect but a serious thing reflecting on whether I am educated or not? I don't think so.
To be equivalent you would be going to the 'United', not to the 'States'. Got it?

It would be no big deal to go to the 'Republica' but you're an idiot if your destination is the 'Dominican'.

Good Lord! Someone actually needs to explain this? : sigh :

Tom aka XR Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Syntax, my ***!

Syntax and equivalency? or easy speach - the thing "what forms naturally on the tongue". 'The Dominican' forms naturally - The Dominican Republic curls the tongue into serious gyrations. We are talking here about easy speech, not informed, correct syntax, simply a natural form of language usage - quite a real thing to those who seriously study languages. Just think of how Robert speaks - it will answer all your questions....

My comment however was around 'how really serious' the 'infraction' really is... It's not serious... come on lighten up out there... Good Lord! and somebody has to explain this? sigh!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
argh.

Thanks, Chris. It's a tough crowd in here!

OK, back to the original questions:

Should we stop correcting people?

Apparently, people who need the correction are considered idiots by some and purveyors of a natural form of speaking to others. I have a feeling the ones who think that people who say "The Dominican" are classless ingrates take great pleasure in pointing this out. Takes one to know one, perhaps?

Does it grate on expat ears?

I hear a resounding YES. (Didn't need the verbal diarrhea, but point taken.)

Do Dominicans care?

Some do, some don't.

Will RickToronto have an aneurysm?

Possibly.

Hidden answers to unasked questions:

Does language transcend social class?

You have to know the rules to break the rules, I guess.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nope

MaineGirl said:
Thanks, Chris. It's a tough crowd in here!

Will RickToronto have an aneurysm?

Possibly.

No, I may get bored to death reading about it again but an aneurysm, hardly.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Interesting point

I agree that it is a matter of respect to use the correct name (once corrected). "The Dominican" does seem to flow naturally, though.

Just for interest's sake, I read that Christopher Columbus and his brother each discovered an island in the Caribbean (I think Chris discovered the D.R.) on a Sunday, and so they each named their island "Dominica" after "domingo". They called one the Dominican Republic to distinguish between the two, and the other Dominica.

My source is the book called An Embarassment of Mangoes, a novel written by a Canadian who went cruising to the Caribbean for two years. (It is an entertaining read with lots of great recipes, I've tried out a ton of them - highly recommend the book.)

Just thought it was interesting.

Tony C said:
IRemember we are talking about Baseball players here. The least educated atheletes of all the major professional sports. the Majority of Football, Basketball and Autoracing have at least some college under their belts. Most baseball players in the US sign right out of high-school. Most Dominican players cannot even claim that.
Geez Tony C you always have some negatives things to say about the people of the DR, don't you?
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.