Tourist Cards

Randi

Mar 14, 2004
How can I go about getting a tourist card before my trip so that I don't get held up in the airport upon arrival? I'll be travelling from the NYC area. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Can Do Two Things

Randi said:
How can I go about getting a tourist card before my trip so that I don't get held up in the airport upon arrival? I'll be travelling from the NYC area. Thanks.

If you are in NYC go to the Dominican Consulate near Times Square and buy them there though it is a lot of paperwork for such a simple thing (I did this about 5 years ago and met the consul himself and the tourist secretary and several other people as I was literally the only person there and they were so happy to have someone to chat with).

Or buy it on arrival (the last 5 trips at SDQ there were no people there in line so it took all of 30 seconds) since the major airlines don't seem to want to sell them anymore - AA used to at the gate, then they quit that but sold them at the Caribbean check-in and they always sold them at the Admirals Club and now, none of the above. Too much hassle for $10 I guess.

NB: If you are flying on a package or even air only with a tour company's charter flight they will often give them to you when you check in as part of what you paid.