"Hate crimes against Dominicans"

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=103192
"Suffolk police have labelled Sundays house fire in Seldon as a hate crime because everyone inside the home was from the Dominican Republic"
click on link for a complete report
I was shocked when I read this story, I have never heard of hate crimes against Dominicans. Does this happen in other parts of the U.S.
Terry.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
TERRY said:
http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=103192
"Suffolk police have labelled Sundays house fire in Seldon as a hate crime because everyone inside the home was from the Dominican Republic"
click on link for a complete report
I was shocked when I read this story, I have never heard of hate crimes against Dominicans. Does this happen in other parts of the U.S.
Terry.
I find the idea that a crime is worse than others because of motive totally ridiculous and illogical.
What should it matter because the criminal's actions was politically incorrect? If somebody robs you because he thinks your rich isn't that a Hate crime? Isn't murder for whatever reason a Hate Crime?

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Tony C said:
I find the idea that a crime is worse than others because of motive totally ridiculous and illogical.
What should it matter because the criminal's actions was politically incorrect? If somebody robs you because he thinks your rich isn't that a Hate crime? Isn't murder for whatever reason a Hate Crime?
I dont think that killing someone because of what they believe in is greator or lessor than someone who is randomly murdered.
But if was Dominican and lived in Seldon I would be concerned .
Terry.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Any type of crime is bad and I always tell my opinion anyways so here goes. Crimes against anyone whether it is hate motivated, greed, etc is horrible. Whether you are a purse snatcher who kills someone putting up resistance, a gay basher, racial crimes, baby raper, etc in my eyes they are all the same deviants and this is an unfortunate incident and could happen anywhere in the world to anyone. Can't dwell or fret about every little bad thing because when it is your time to give up the ghost, whether naturally or violenty, it's going to happen. But we live in a warped world and if concilatory, hopefully anyone that does a racially motivated crime are locked up in a cell with people of the same ethnicity of the victims and gets torturous payback, wouldn't that be irony?
dale7(Howard)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That was only a matter of time...

for a Dominican(s) to be targeted in a hate crime, especially in Long Island. Last year, a group of Mexican immigrants (they were illegals) were beat almost to death in a rural home in Long Island New York. There have been multiple hate crimes occuring lately in the NYC metro area. Most are directed to foreigners or people of darker skin. Just two weeks ago, in the Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, and Norwalk vicinity of Connecticut there was a flyer asking whites to shoot and kill any Niger (their words) and illegals they see. About 5 days ago, a noose was found hanging from a tree in the front yard of a Puerto Rican family in Bridgeport, CT. Also, a teenage Haitian was found lynched in an area of Stamford, Connecticut last year and a Cuban owned restaurant/bodega was burned to the ground, supposely by white supremacist. It's not surprising to see hate crimes in the NYC metro area since the KKK headquarters is in Meriden, Connecticut, but it is surprising to see this rise in hate crimes in the NYC metro area lately. Like I said, it was only a matter of time before a dominican would be targeted.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I doubt that they were targeted for being "Dominicans"!

People who do this kind of things(Mostly Teenagers)are not that sophisticated.Any "dark" skinned family or person makes a good target for them!After 9/11 several "Indians" were targeted,because the stupid biggots didn't know the difference between a Shiek(spelling??) and a Muslum!I saw the house on TV,just a few smoke stains on the end.How about a "Hand" for the people passing by who resqued the 10 victims!!????????CC

By the way,this is NOTa Hate Crimes Registry,so if it ain't Dominican,leave it out!