more points for hipolito

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
it seems that leonel is determined to help hipolito win. he still hasn't put on his "pantalones".

it now seems he has gone against his obvious choice for vice president in the pld campaign. he has chosen rafael alberquerque, who is a life-long pld-ista and may well be a solid choice, but even the pph-istas were ready to admit defeat if leonel had chosen carlos morales troncoso - the ex-presidential candidate for the reformista party.

if leonel had chosen carlos morales troncoso - it is sure that the reformistas who believe jacinto peynado should have been the prsc candidate would have voted for leonel.

leonel needs votes - he still seems to think he has the election in the bag based on his own merit. this is not so - his choice will do nothing to boost turnout on election day, and a low turnout will only serve to help hipolito.

crowley

Jan 26, 2004
It is hard for me to imagine Leonel doing anything that could help the Hippo. Everyday someone goes to the grocery store or to buy gasoline they have to be reminded that there are serious issues and that change is the only way out. You can not govern without trust and the Hippo has no credibility. There is nothing any other candidate can do to give Hippo back his credibility. It is a huge responsibility to lead people and when they suffer, due to the leader's mistakes or corrupt actions, there should be consuquences for the leadership. How may of Hippos lieutenants have been fired over mismanagement? How many have been sent to jail for corruption? How many of his loyal people have screwed up and paid for it? You can see a leaders intentions by watching closely how they manage their staff. He is managing them for his intentions, not those of the people. I hope this is enough to inspire the electorate to stand in line at the polls and cast their vote against corruption. This will be the most important day in the peoples immediate lives and everyone should be eager for its arrival.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I think the best choice he could have made would have been Dominguez Brito. Carlos Morales said that he discussed both VP candidacy possibilities, from the PLD and the PRD, but he rejected both ideas. I guess thats his loss.

Leonel is an idiot!!If he would have chosen his VP two weeks ago, when no one had any expectations, he copuld have chosen anyone and it wouldnt have matteres. Heck, he could have chosen you Bochinche, or Xanado or any DR! regular and it would not have influenced one bit.

I was at a meeting yesterday morning and the topic was the VP. Everyone expected a big impact out of it, Morales Troncoso or some other prominent business person a big bang and all of a sudden......well, lets just say it didnt even pop.

Another evidence of his comesolismo starting to arise. Lets hope he doesnt f*@& up anymore before the election day or we could all be in for a surprise.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I misheard.....

I was in the shower with TV on in next door room, when the news broke. I thought they said Rafaela Albuquerque.....THAT got me out of the shower somewhat rapidly....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada said:
I was in the shower with TV on in next door room, when the news broke. I thought they said Rafaela Albuquerque.....THAT got me out of the shower somewhat rapidly....

:bandit: Now THAT conjures up some wonderful images!!! :lick: Pools of water all over the bedroom floor!! :nervous:

I agree that it would have been good to have an influencial woman standing by the helm though - might even bring some reality back into Politics!!! - GWB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
For what it's worth????

On the way back from Santiago today, I counted 17 Red flags along the highway and in some of the small villages. I also counted 262 Purple flags along the same route, but I didn't see a Single White one!

In Villa Vasquez, there was a lorge crowd halfway down the divided street, all waving Purple flags and giving the "L" sign (forefinger and thumb). I failed to count the number of flags at that particular location, but there were about 250 people there and most were waving Purple.

Since I now have my cedula for temporary residency, I bought two of those flag holders in La Serena today, along with a US flag and a Dominican one. I'll fly those until they either get stolen or wear out, then buy more.

I like to advertize! Don't know what the result will be, but that the way I am.

In a low key way, I have been pointing out Hippo's gross mistakes (has he made any small ones?) to my friends and acquaintenences here in Manzanillo and have had a few laughs at his expense by many people. I really thnk that Hippo is on the bottom of the pile and unless something happens to really give him a boost, he is on his way out. In the meantime he is continuing to spend on 'government' projects with borrowed money. Leonel will have his job cut out for himself when he wins. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Winning the leadership in a debt ridden country and having an opposition legislative body to deal with can rappidly turn into an untenable situation.

Texas Bill

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Why Didn't You Say So!

Texas Bill said:
On the way back from Santiago today, I counted 17 Red flags along the highway and in some of the small villages. I also counted 262 Purple flags along the same route, but I didn't see a Single White one!

In Villa Vasquez, there was a lorge crowd halfway down the divided street, all waving Purple flags and giving the "L" sign (forefinger and thumb). I failed to count the number of flags at that particular location, but there were about 250 people there and most were waving Purple.

Since I now have my cedula for temporary residency, I bought two of those flag holders in La Serena today, along with a US flag and a Dominican one. I'll fly those until they either get stolen or wear out, then buy more.

I like to advertize! Don't know what the result will be, but that the way I am.

In a low key way, I have been pointing out Hippo's gross mistakes (has he made any small ones?) to my friends and acquaintenences here in Manzanillo and have had a few laughs at his expense by many people. I really thnk that Hippo is on the bottom of the pile and unless something happens to really give him a boost, he is on his way out. In the meantime he is continuing to spend on 'government' projects with borrowed money. Leonel will have his job cut out for himself when he wins. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Winning the leadership in a debt ridden country and having an opposition legislative body to deal with can rappidly turn into an untenable situation.
We could have coordinated. I spent the whole day at our Santiago house. Alba, and Johnny, and I hit both La Sirenas, Price Mart, Beillon, 8A, and more power shopping. We didn't see you!

We did run into a small caravan with white flags. Forget where, exactly. I think it was while returning through Tamboril. We also hit three very much larger PLD caravans in Moca, Tamboril, and between Licey al Media and Santiago. Flashed them all the "L" and as always they seemed quite thrilled to see a 'gringo' going that. LOL. But as you know from other posters here, XR is just a troublemaker.

Hope you had a good trip back, Bill.

Tom aka XR Trust in God but lock your car.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Think I Agree with Civil Disturbance!

bochinche said:
... if leonel had chosen carlos morales troncoso - it is sure that the reformistas who believe jacinto peynado should have been the prsc candidate would have voted for leonel.
I have to qualify that by saying I am not following closely enough to know anything about this Troncoso person. However, I have a hard time understanding what harm would come here from picking a PRSC, or even PRD politico as a running mate. It would have been an immediate trump. Election over! With practically no downside since the VEEP is still a stooge as in most countries. At least in my opinion.

Tom aka XR My wife got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
XanaduRanch said:
....I have a hard time understanding.....

yes you are right...it would have been an immediate trump. the harm that was done was that he didn't pick the obvious prsc candidate for the reasons you said.

people will not go to the polls to vote for pld - they will go to the polls to vote against hipolito or they will not go to the polls at all. if leonel doesn't give them reason to vote his way (i.e. a prsc candidate as vp), they will not bother to vote. leonel will lose, hipolito will win.

carlos morales troncoso was the vp here on two occasions when balaguer was president.
he is another reason why jacinto peynado's political career is/was over, when instead of backing peynado as presidential candidate, in one episode of politics, balaguer decided to give cmt a push - this didn't help either one of them, which of course, was balaguer's real plan.

i commend you xr, as an american right wing ex(?) militia leader, you are at last starting to understand a few things about the dr (even with that handicap). it has taken you thousands of posts, lots of grovelling and you have taken more than your fair share of insults, but at last you are getting there. keep it up.

texas bill - why did you have to wait for a cedula/temporary residency to buy two flag holders (plus flags) from la sirena? seriously... i think you probably need to get out and about a bit more - we are not under any kind of martial law here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not yet we're not

(under martial law, that is). But did you see CDN last night? It would appear a military police electoral squad is being set up under the JCE to ensure candidates safety and "the safety of the voting process". Read THAT how you will!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Originaly posted by bochinche
"texas bill - why did you have to wait for a cedula/temporary residency to buy two flag holders (plus flags) from la sirena? seriously... i think you probably need to get out and about a bit more - we are not under any kind of martial law here."

Maybe you don't understand the constraints placed upon retired military officers when they re in a country other than the USA. At home, we can do pretty much as do other citizens. However, when we're in another country we're prevented, by law, from participating in that government in any shape, for, or fashion. That means politics, working for that government in any fashion whatsoever. Or, participating in activities which may be construed as being alienated from the USA.

That I have refrained, thus far, from doing other than participating in discussions, privately, and on this website is a precautionary measure on my part for the above reasons. I haven't even thought of our being under "martial law", but have felt that I, because of my status both as a retired officer and because I am a guest in this country (somewhat alleviated by my temporary residency) I should maintain somewhat of a low key approach to life and not try to impress "La Gente" with the fact that I am an American. The purchase and display of the flags is, in fact, a celebratory move on my part.
As to "getting out and moving around", as you put it, I lead a very sedantary lifestyle and am perfectly happy in doing so. I'm 77 years old and really have no desire to "gad about" all over the country looking at the same social mileau with every village I pass through. It's far too depressing. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy the beautiful scenery and the geological formations. I like to get out and walk around, wondering how this island formed and the sequence of events of that formation.
And, how dare you chastise me for my actions when you know nothing about my background, my thoughts, my character, or anything else about me for that matter. Comments such as your arrogant remark really set me off.
Since I have explained my self, don't you think it would be the "gentlemanly" thing to do and apologize??

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:
And, how dare you chastise me for my actions when you know nothing about my background, my thoughts, my character, or anything else about me for that matter. Comments such as your arrogant remark really set me off.
Since I have explained my self, don't you think it would be the "gentlemanly" thing to do and apologize??

Texas Bill

well answered.......but my remarks to you were neither arrogant nor chastising.
i am sure in your 77 years you have heard many comments which were worthy of an apology.....you must surely realise that this gentleman doesn't need to give one.

....however, thank god you got that temporary residency before you hoist your two flags. just imagine what would happen if someone actually reported you to the american authorities stationed here...........................???.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
:: Sigh ::

bochinche said:
... i am sure in your 77 years you have heard many comments which were worthy of an apology.....you must surely realise that this gentleman doesn't need to give one ... however, thank god you got that temporary residency before you hoist your two flags. just imagine what would happen if someone actually reported you to the american authorities sationed here ... >??.
It would not have been necessary. I live here too. Any situation would have been quickly resolved in Bill's favor.

A code that you live by is not enforced through fear of retribution, but rather by the conviction ofyour principles.

When you understand that, you will understand how some of us here exist.

Tom aka XR In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thank you, Tom!

I really appreciate your support.

I do tend to kick in the b**** when I feel I've been slapped in the face.

Just my way of solving the problems in life.

"ILLIGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM"111

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada said:
(under martial law, that is). But did you see CDN last night? It would appear a military police electoral squad is being set up under the JCE to ensure candidates safety and "the safety of the voting process". Read THAT how you will!

Sounds to me like a call to arms at the voting stations!!! ..... "You Vill vote for our friend & leader Hipolito or ve know vhere to come find you" .... sort of thing. Can anyone see a less sinister meaning for setting up a 'Electoral' police squad?? Hippo has given them a job & Hippo's word is LAW. Vote Hippo or get harrased (beaten up, shot at) for the next 4 years!! 'Vell, ve vill do zat anyvay vhen ve are a true & practicing 'police state' under zee Glorious Hippo!!!!

Sound familiar to anyone???? - Grahame.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Texas Bill

I am intrigued by your post. What gives your country of origin the right to proscribe your behaviour a) after you've retired and b) while you're living in another country? Does that mean, for example, you can't do voluntary work feeding poor Dominican children, because poverty is a "political" issue?
I'm a retired University teacher. I must say if my University even attempted to comment on my behaviour, let alone proscribe it, while I'm living in the Dominican Republic, they'd be told "on your bike"!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Lambada said:
I am intrigued by your post. What gives your country of origin the right to proscribe your behaviour a) after you've retired and b) while you're living in another country? Does that mean, for example, you can't do voluntary work feeding poor Dominican children, because poverty is a "political" issue?
I'm a retired University teacher. I must say if my University even attempted to comment on my behaviour, let alone proscribe it, while I'm living in the Dominican Republic, they'd be told "on your bike"!!

In answer to your questions above:

Retired military officers are considered to still be a part of the military establishment however in an inactive status. They may be recalled to active duty under certain conditions. Therefore, they must always govern their actions as if they were still on active duty.

Therefore, any service rendered to a government other than the USA, would be in violation of that body of law, under the US Code, which governs the actions of the military establishment(active, reserve, and/or retired).

The particular scenario you reference would not, in my opinion, fall in the category of serving a foreign government(thereby be in violation of the prohibitions cited by US Code). Yet, any services rendered would be subject to interpretation by the appropriate authority.

In other words, any action by a retired officer in support of a foreign government could be construed to be as accepting employment by that government, which is specifically prohibited.

I realize that the explanation is not entirely clear, but believe it serves the purpose.

email me if you wish further explanations.

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
In OTHER words Bill:

WE can screw YOU but you can not screw US!!! Big Brother is watching you & will extract every last bit of blood from you that we can!!! - Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you, Texas Bill,

the explanation is very clear. I just detected a whiff of totalitarianism that I hadn't thought would be your political scene!.... Getting back to the theme of this thread, it seems to me that those of us who "have" will need to continue to redistribute to those who don't, whoever wins in May, Leonel or Hippo. I'm glad your hands aren't tied by your previous employer.