Help Please

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I will be returning to La Ramana on Sunday the 21st, this time on my own money. It seems that I have some loose ends to tie up with my former employer. I want to stay in town, not in any of the resort areas. Any suggestions?

Also I will need transportation some of the time. Not enough to rent a car for a week although I do need to go to SD one day to clear up some customs problems that I have with a UPS package I sent to my friends. It seems that DR officials want to tax some educational material (Spanish to English CD?s ? Books and a CD player. Anyone think I can get around La Romana using their taxi and moto system. (Remember I no not speak Spanish)

It is a shame that I will not be spending any time at Ram?n. Call me paranoid but I think I will be watched closely as there are attorneys now involved in my separation

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
La Romana

There is a Motel in La Romana, Called Adamanay they charge like $10 Dollar a night is in front to the Bus station is not some thing fancy but to sleep is ok.
about transportation exchange some US to pesos, around 100 dollar will ok for transportation and eat some junk.

By that area there are a few local bars in the High way also, if you don't have money will be kind of spensive for you to take a taxi.

I dont think is it possible to get a Motoconcho from La Romana airport but the taxi you can deal for 12US to take you down town Romana.

My advice exchange some money to pesos. How to get to that Hotel? Passing Jumbo keep going you will pass a Bar also that is right in the street light just keep going untill hit the next street light then turn left pretending to go San Pedro 2 block after the street light is the Motel Adamanay at the left.

PS: One more thing I know those people are you friend but don't leave them use you as a gringo pariguayo, you already lost your job they are the one to help you now, They most offer their house to you.

Good luck,
Sorry for your situation

Homer
chuckuindy said:
I will be returning to La Ramana on Sunday the 21st, this time on my own money. It seems that I have some loose ends to tie up with my former employer. I want to stay in town, not in any of the resort areas. Any suggestions?

Also I will need transportation some of the time. Not enough to rent a car for a week although I do need to go to SD one day to clear up some customs problems that I have with a UPS package I sent to my friends. It seems that DR officials want to tax some educational material (Spanish to English CD’s – Books and a CD player. Anyone think I can get around La Romana using their taxi and moto system. (Remember I no not speak Spanish)

It is a shame that I will not be spending any time at Ram?n. Call me paranoid but I think I will be watched closely as there are attorneys now involved in my separation

Last edited:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks Homer

simpson Homer said:
There is a Motel in La Romana, Called Adamanay they charge like $10 Dollar a night is in front to the Bus station is not some thing fancy but to sleep is ok.
about transportation exchange some US to pesos, around 100 dollar will ok for transportation and eat some junk.

By that area there are a few local bars in the High way also, if you don't have money will be kind of spensive for you to take a taxi.

I dont think is it possible to get a Motoconcho from La Romana airport but the taxi you can deal for 12US to take you down town Romana.

My advice exchange some money to pesos. How to get to that Hotel? Passing Jumbo keep going you will pass a Bar also that is right in the street light just keep going untill hit the next street light then turn left pretending to go San Pedro 2 block after the street light is the Motel Adamanay at the left.

PS: One more thing I know those people are you friend but don't leave them use you as a gringo pariguayo, you already lost your job they are the one to help you now, They most offer their house to you.

Good luck,
Sorry for your situation

Homer
Thanks for the tip in the Motel. I know right the where the Adamanay is. I also want to check out a Motel Olympa, I saw it on my last trip and there is also a motel at Calita prior to getting to the beach.

As for my friends, I trust them more than you will ever know. They have been a big help to me in this transition period. They have offered their home to me but it would not be prudent to stay with them and have them harassed in any way by outside sources. As for me loosing my job it is my fault and my fault alone, however I would do the same thing again, given the opportunity. I really love these people and me showing them a good time in Casa de Campo was possibly a once in a life time opportunity for them.

My ex-boss is very tight with the Fanjul family and other big money people at Casa de Campo. Now that the lawyers are involved over my dismissal it could get real ugly. Don?t get me wrong I personally know 'Pepe' Fanjul and most of the Fanjul family members and they have always been great to me. I would just like to spare my friends any embarrassment. I understand what you are saying about a gringo pariguayo, however I do not believe this to be the case here.

I have used the Motoconchos in the past. They amaze me. They know everything about the city and can find you anything you want or need in La Romano. I believe that I can use the local taxi service most of the time but I will need to rent a car at a downtown agency for my trip to SD.

Your advice on using pesos is excellent. I use my ATM card to get pesos and get a great exchange rate, much better than walking into a local bank with US 100 bills.

I am committed to continue helping my friends as much as I can. Not because I feel sorry for them, but because they are such wonderful people. It is amazing what $100 per month (which I can still afford) can do to help feed and shelter these 2 sisters and their babies.

Chuckuindy

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Renting a car

Hey Chuky,

If you are going to rent a car make sure to get full insurance.

National Rent a Car
Europcar
Avis
Budget
Nelly
Honda Rent a Car

Those one will offer you full insurance, the local rent a car will make you pay a cheap insurance that in case of accident you have to pay the car as new.

So, use those one I listed and pay any price for full insurance that the total cost will be around 45-50 Dollar a day. and you are just responsible to damage under 100US. over that the insurance pay.

Good Luck

Homer

I have used the Motoconchos in the past. They amaze me. They know everything about the city and can find you anything you want or need in La Romano. I believe that I can use the local taxi service most of the time but I will need to rent a car at a downtown agency for my trip to SD.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Chuckuindy

If you do rent a car make your reservations before you get to DR. For some reason the rates are cheaper when you make your reservation from the US. Also if you have a Platinum credit card and you use it to rent a car you can save on the insurance.Platinum card holders get automatic rent a car insurance from the credit card company.