re: Best Pizza in Santo Domingo?

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
re: Best Pizza in Santo Domingo?

Well, Spring is near and I'm coming out of my lurking hibernation mode. Could any Santo Domingo dwellers recommend the best pizza places in the city. I'll be coming down week after next. Last trip, I visited Limoncello's Pizzeria in Campo de Casa Marina. (Hell of a taxi ride to get a slice of great pizza!)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
newuser said:
I have been living in SD for several years now and still have not encountered a great pizza. Can you please tell me where Limoncello's in Campo de Casa Marina is located?

I ditto that... Been here 7 years almost and still havent found a decent pizza... If you're looking for an American style pizza or "Chicago" style, forget it. If you're willing to try something different, IL Capo (on Roberto Pastoriza and theres another on Sarasota Ave.) serves a pretty decent (almost italian/spanish style) thin pizza with an almost sweet tomato sauce. Not too bad but nothing out of this world either...

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I had some really good brick oven pizza in POP once but I'm usually on the south coast. I would love some good recommendations as well.The franchise and mall pizzeria's in SD pretty much suck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At the risk of sounding like a "Dork",I'll say "Pizza Hut"!

They have several styles and "crusts"! I agree that the Dominican Pizza,like their ketsup,has a very "sweet" tomato flavor(I put a tablespoon of vinegar to a small bottle of Victorina",for a Hienz type flavor Ketsup)
Several friends like the Vesivio Pizzaria,next door to the Vesuvio restaurant on the Malecon.I have never had a Vesuvio pizza,but their "Focaccio Bread" is excellent!
I have bought those premaid pizza doughs from "Parmalat" at the supermarket,and made my own pizza at home,"Very tasty I must say!!!"CrisColon :eek:gre:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Criss Colon said:
They have several styles and "crusts"! I agree that the Dominican Pizza,like their ketsup,has a very "sweet" tomato flavor(I put a tablespoon of vinegar to a small bottle of Victorina",for a Hienz type flavor Ketsup)
Several friends like the Vesivio Pizzaria,next door to the Vesuvio restaurant on the Malecon.I have never had a Vesuvio pizza,but their "Focaccio Bread" is excellent!
I have bought those premaid pizza doughs from "Parmalat" at the supermarket,and made my own pizza at home,"Very tasty I must say!!!"CrisColon :eek:gre:

I have yet to find good pizza in Santo Domingo. Have had the one at Vesuvio's and it's not bad.

The best pizza I have eaten here is in Cabarete. Have no idea of the name, but I know a few of the Cabarete locals will know it.

So Mr.Kingofdice, looks like your going to have a road trip to eat good pizza :)

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I yi yi.. no highly recommended pizza in S.D. Looks like another 140 mile trip to Campo de Casa marina for gourmet slices. In reply to Newuser's response: Limocellos' Pizzeria is in the conclave of restaurants at the marina. It is really a high class pizza place. This is where the Euro crowd munches pizza, while flashing their Rolex watches and watching yachts cruise into the marina.

The price of the pizza and salad were reasonable by U.S. cost.

Well, looks like thin crust pizza at Pizza Hut on El Conde again. :lick:

Last edited:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for the lame comments Mountain frog - hmmn... I wonder if the thousands of patrons that attend football and baseball games know that eating hot dogs with their fingers is for kids. But, I'll tell my 67 yr. old dad when he eats pizza that it's kid food. And I'd better include my 75 yr. old grandmother too. Tell her it's unbecoming for a woman of her age to eat pizza.

Last edited:

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Try Bella Napoli on Avenida Enriquillo

somewhere between Caonabo and Privada, not hard to find. It's not a 'real' restaurant but a remodelled house with a pizza oven.
That is if you like italian style pizza, though.
Had the joy of dining there with Chirimoya and family last Friday and watching little Chirimoyito wolf down an entire pizza in no time is probably the best advertisement that place could ask for.

If you're hungry for 'franchise-style' pizza, I'd suggest Pizzarelli over any of the other famous ones. Check the link for addresses. Click on 'sucursales' to find the restaurant closest to you.

Buen provecho

Bok (mr Pib)

pati

Feb 3, 2004
mountainfrog said:
Even Italiens, who supposedly "invented" the pizza (for barbarian tourists), have a loathing of it.
Pizza is, what they throw on it.
It?s not good cooking.

Where did you hear that? One of my fondest childhood memory is making pizza with my grandmother. My grandmother born and raised in italy (actually Sicily) used to make homemade pizza. She would make her own sauce and her own pizza dough. Bring it to our house with her home grown basil and make pizza for us.Though she wasn't a big pizza eater I would hardly say she loathed it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
...The best pizza I have eaten here is in Cabarete. Have no idea of the name, but I know a few of the Cabarete locals will know it...

Lax in Cabarete has good pizza. Further down the street, close to Janet?s, there is PizzaPizza - some people love it - we?ve had mixed results.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This thread shows how an innocent thread about "Pizza"

can take a turn for the worst when "Someone" with nothing to add decides to "Ambush" the thread!Brings to mind the "Old Saying","If you don't have anything to say,DON'T!"Cris Colon

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ahhhh. Pizza!

Yes, Robert, LAX in cabarete on the beach. Thin crust, more Italian style but I like it. Alba calls it cheese & ketchup on a cracker, though. The Italian restaurant across from Eddy's in Sosua has a good pizza, too. Sometimes he even has some spicy Italian sausage in stock to top it with if you ask, as opposed to the bland local stuff. One or two of the beach shacks on Sosua beach have some good looking 'soupier'pizzas too. I happen to like them that way.

The worst pizzas I've had here have all been in Santo Domingo. Across from the Aquarium, and in the Zona Colonial, at local places. PJ's pizza in Sosua also is not very good, sweet sugary sauce and goat cheese. Lots of their food looks American but the use of many sugary local ingredients makes the taste something different IMO. It's like eating at a KFC in Malaysia. Looks perfect! But the taste, when fried in coconut oil, is pretty odd!

The chain restaurants here, though, like Pizza Hut are all very consistent. As good as in the states but I am not a huge fan of Pizza Hut. I go there when I want to feel comfortable, and have something familiar.

Tom aka XR Not one shred of evidence exists to support the notion that life is serious.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I've never had their pizza but according to my husband Dino's Pizzeria in La Romana on La Altagracia is good.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
XanaduRanch said:
Yes, Robert, LAX in cabarete on the beach.

It wasn't LAX. It as at the end of walking street (beach) that cuts from the main road to the beach. I went with Scott, maybe he knows the name?

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

:p I wouldn't presume to know the best pizza in SD but my Dominican friends always order pizza from the Pizza Hut on El Conde in the Zona Colonial. And they deliver. The phone number is 221-1991

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeup! It's Pizza Hut!!! And as said above, they deliver. And just because many people are not aware of this, KFC delivers also in Santo Domingo only. Enjoy your American pizza in Hispaniola!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not True.

Nal0whs said:
Yeup! It's Pizza Hut!!! And as said above, they deliver. And just because many people are not aware of this, KFC delivers also in Santo Domingo only. Enjoy your American pizza in Hispaniola!!!
KFC also delivers in Santiago, FYI.

Tom aka XR I amalways frank and earnest with women. In Sosua, I am Frank and in Santiago I'm Ernest.

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
You can only find the best pizza in Southern Italy where I grew up. The next best is in Las Galeras, Samana. Made by Manuela, a fantastic Italian cook, at a charming little cafe not too far from the ocean on the main road. I forgot the name of the place.

D.D.