Civil vs. Religious Matrimony

Jobito

Jun 9, 2003
I have a question which has probably been spoken about before (hopefully)...
My fiancee and I have recently been given a K1 visa for her to travel to the US :) Now, as you may all know, a k-1 visa is only valid if we get married legally in the US - we must not become legally married anywhere else besides the US.
Having very religious families (both sides) plus our own willingness to get married by the church, we are facing a dilemma where we would like to have a religious ceremony in DR prior to us leaving for the US. Not all our families can come to the US for such an occassion plus a wedding in the US is extremely expensive.
We have contacted several priests regarding the issue and they all gave the same answer - a religious ceremony automatically becomes a legal union in DR. Obviously, regardless of how much we are willing to get married by the church, we wont do anything that might jeopardize her visa. I guess my questions are:
1) Has anyone had this same scenario?
2) What did you do about it? Any ideas?

With all our hearts we would like to get married by the church so your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Without a license it's legal?

Jobito said:
We have contacted several priests regarding the issue and they all gave the same answer - a religious ceremony automatically becomes a legal union in DR. Obviously, regardless of how much we are willing to get married by the church, we wont do anything that might jeopardize her visa. I guess my questions are:
1) Has anyone had this same scenario?
2) What did you do about it? Any ideas?

I know with catholic churches here they can publish the "banns" for a month (of Sundays) to advise the congregation of a couple's intended wedding and only if they do that it's legal, e.g. they don't go to city hall for a licence - the church makes it official with this long-ish process.

So maybe if you have a religious ceremony both without a licence and without enough time (for banns) it will be more symbolic and not binding.

Did you explain to the priests that you can't screw up the visa thing - maybe the diocese will give them a bye this time on the basis you promise to do it again in the US and use the church. Bishops have a lot of clout.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Many couples have the civil ceremony first, and then have it blessed in a religious ceremony at a later time.
Is there a chance you will return to the DR afterwards?
I wouldn't screw it up either. You never know how those officials are feeling on any given day.
Good luck on your upcoming marriage. And congratulations on the visa.
mk

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Many people who were married in the US get remarried to each other for various reasons. It's called renewing your vows.I don't see how you getting married in DR would affect your ability to remarry in the US.I don't know where you live in the US but I'm sure you can verify this with your local county clerk.If your question is would getting married in DR first and then getting remarried in the US be considered a violation of getting the visa you should ask the consulate.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think the best advise would be this;

Check with the State Department(ie., the Immigration/Naturalization Service) and pose your questions to them. They ae required by law to give you the best and most appropriate answers based on your questions. Be explicit and honest with them, revealing all your reasons and desired actions.

Above all, don't take the word of the "guardhouse lawyers" in this matter since the results of your actions will be long term and possible devastating to your future.

Ask for a legal ruling on your proposal from the INS regarding the matter in all instances! That way you will have been open and aboveboard with the situation.

Good Luck and many years of happines and joy.

Texas Bill

Jobito

Jun 9, 2003
Thank You

Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe it is in best interest to simply get married legally in the US and plan for the religious ceremony at a later date when we return to DR. The problem is that the church is very picky about performing religious ceremonies w/o it being legalized immediately. Think of this, have you ever heard of anyone getting married by the church and then marrying civically at a later date? No, because they dont do that.

Makes you wonder what ever happened to the separation of church and state??

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Jobito said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe it is in best interest to simply get married legally in the US and plan for the religious ceremony at a later date when we return to DR. The problem is that the church is very picky about performing religious ceremonies w/o it being legalized immediately. Think of this, have you ever heard of anyone getting married by the church and then marrying civically at a later date? No, because they dont do that.

Makes you wonder what ever happened to the separation of church and state??

Separation of Church and State has nothing to do with the issue. Each entity has it's own rules of compliance and keeps it's own records for that purpose I don't know about here, but in the USA one must get a marriage liscense before being married by either church or the state. I would assume the same here, but am not that familiar with the Napolionic Code in such matters.

BTW, the separation of church and state emanates from the fact that the Law in England formally recognized the Church Of England as being the Official Religious organization for that country and her citizens. Other religious organizations were not recognized, but were tolerated to some degree. I suggest you read up on that aspect of history.

Texas Bill