Price of Cd's & Dvd's in DR

conor

Feb 6, 2004
I am flying into the DR on April 23 for the first time and planning on stay for a decent period of time. I copy a lot of CDR's and DVD+R and was wondering if i should get them there or bring i good amount with me. Does anybody know how many you can bring threw customs. And how much is the going rates in the DR for them. Thank You Conor

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Expensive, hard to Find (DVD) and Don't Sweat Customs

conor said:
I am flying into the DR on April 23 for the first time and planning on stay for a decent period of time. I copy a lot of CDR's and DVD+R and was wondering if i should get them there or bring i good amount with me. Does anybody know how many you can bring threw customs. And how much is the going rates in the DR for them. Thank You Conor

You won't find the recodable media cheap as the USA in the DR so bring as many as you can - DVD+R's especially. If you have to buy some try Plaza Lama or the Radio Shack maybe on 27 Feb. If you arrive as a tourist customs ignores you most of the time so I wouldn't worry unless you are bringing 1,000 or something like that.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
conor said:
When I was there during summer 2003 I took 200 CD-R's without any trouble. As far as prices in DR, I believe I saw a corner store charging RD$100 for 1 blank CDR in a jewel case. That sounds really expensive but I'm sure you can find it cheaper in larger packs. I suggest that you just take your own because they are very cheap after rebates in the states and plus you have better quailty brands too. Hope this helps

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
CD-Rs are very easy to find but you'll pay about double what you will in the states. Selection of media is not very good either. Havent seen a good brand like Fuji here.

DVD-+Rs are a little harder to find and LOT more expensive than in the states. I pay about $2.20USD now for one DVD-R.... Have yet to run across DVD+Rs though.

They dont sell spindles of media here (well they do but at the same prices as the single pieces) so it can get rather expensive.

I've never had any problems bringing in about 10 spindles (50pks of CD-Rs) at a time. Customs doesnt seem to care about them. They're too busy looking for the high value electronics to shaft you on.