Single Parent travelling with minor child to DR.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We have a passport for my 10 year old daughter, and a notarized letter of authorization from her father. My question is: Does the paper work have to be legalized by the DR consulate here in Canada prior to travel?
Thanks for your help.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
No, I have traveled with my kids w/o the father and never had a problem. No additional paperwork, other than the passports.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Nelly,
Is your child Canadian with Canadian parents or is your child of Dominican heritage?
If your child is Canadian, as long as you have a letter from the father authorizing you to take the child out of the country, you should have no problem.
If your child is of Dominican heritage but travelling with a Canadian passport, it still should not be a problem, as long as you have the letter.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
marliejaneca said:
Nelly,
I think a call to the DR consulate would be the first thing that I would do, just to make sure. I would also maybe call the Canadian consulate or Immigration call centre to see what if any problems may arrive coming back into Canada. I am assuming that your child is of Dominican heritage but lives with you in Canada? I would make sure by phoning the consulates or customs agencies before going, just to be on the safe side. They seem to be changing requirements for entry/reentry all the time so its best to get the info straight from the horses mouth!
Talldrink - unfortunately Canada has some pretty strict rules and most likely it is a different situation for Nelly as is for you being in the States.

Makes sense Marlie, I also didnt state that both of my kids are US born and their father is US as well - No Dominican relation other than myself.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
I would also suggest that you try to get any information IN WRITING. I had a rather unpleasant experience early on in my marriage where I (thought) I had a Minister's Permit which would allow me to leave and reenter the country while my legal status was confirmed. When I called Canadian Immigration, they said yes indeed, this was true. When I tried to reenter Canada.....no indeed, this was NOT TRUE. It all worked out in the end, but it was a very unpleasant experience to say the least.

Rose

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
marliejaneca said:
Nelly,
Is your child Canadian with Canadian parents or is your child of Dominican heritage?
If your child is Canadian, as long as you have a letter from the father authorizing you to take the child out of the country, you should have no problem.
If your child is of Dominican heritage but travelling with a Canadian passport, it still should not be a problem, as long as you have the letter.

We are both is Canadian with different last names, (Not sure if this important.) and her father and I are divorced.

On Debbie's Dominican Travel page, it says that the letter has to be notarized and legalized by the DR consulate but the information was a bit dated.

So, the concensus is that a notarized letter is sufficient. Now, for my next question, does the authorization letter need to be in spanish as well?

Thanks,
Nelly

cjbrooks

Mar 21, 2004
I am travelling from England with my 11 year old daughter who has her own passport in July and the advice I got from the DR consulate in the UK is that I needed the notarized letter "legalized" by them.
It cost me 55GBP to get it legalized but at least I shouldn't have a problem when I travel.
Until this year this has never been a problem travelling from the UK so I suggest you give the consulate in Canada a ring to be on the safe side.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
More rather than less

Have birth certificate-shows you are mother-much less hassle
Divorce papers-shows why different name

Notarized letter-if you can afford to get the darn thing stamped at a Dominican consulate
Her passport
Your passport.

The hassle is for everyone's benefit.

HB

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Have birth certificate-shows you are mother-much less hassle
Divorce papers-shows why different name

Notarized letter-if you can afford to get the darn thing stamped at a Dominican consulate
Her passport
Your passport.

The hassle is for everyone's benefit.

HB

I have everything but the consulate stamp which by the time I get all the documents couriered there and back should cost me about $135 CA. That's money that I'd like to use elsewhere as I'm not staying at an AI. I will do it if I have to though.

At what point are these documents checked? Before leaving Canada or when arriving in the DR? Is it the same place (inmigracion)where you pay the entrada or will I have to go some where different?

Ugh, I'm a little nervous now not knowing what to expect. :(

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Maybe Canada is different than the US (hmmmm . . . there's a statement of the obvious) but I traveled in January to the DR with my 7 year-old son who has his own passport and we didn't have any problems at all, anywhere. I'm a divorced single-parenting male . . . so we share the same last name . . . perhaps that explained why there weren't any bureaucratic roadblocks?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican migration authorities only require that one parent travel with the child. In your case, since you have the same name as the child there was no reason to question that you were the parent. The procedure is in place to avoid kidnapping of children. If it were the mother traveling alone with the child, the birth certificate of the child, which should list the name of the mother (with her maiden name) would prove she is the mother.

Dominican migration authorities have the same requirements for children of all nationalities.

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
No problem at all

I'm with Samgomper on this....

I'm a male single parent and have travelled to the DR with my two children with there own passports. Never had a problem, never had any special documentation. Perhaps having the same surname helps but no questions have even been asked.

Just relax and enjoy your vacation.

Gary

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I called the Embajada here in Canada for an "official" word, and they said that if the parents have shared custody, then the accompanying parent must have a notarized letter of authorization from the other parent but it does not need to be "legalized" by them prior to travel. (Hollywud, maybe you could update this requirement on Debbie's site?)

As Hillbilly suggested, I will also take my divorce papers showing custody arrangements and my daughter's detailed birth certificate together with the notarized letter and her passport. I'd be more relaxed if I was better versed at handling bribes, should I need to offer one, or if I knew that my 10 year old wouldn't have a stroke if we were called off to the side for any reason! lol

If anyone needs a sample letter for a Canadian, I have one, just PM me.

Chippy

Apr 5, 2004
New rules travlling from uk

cjbrooks said:
Oh, and I was advised English is fine

I am due to travel in May to DR and my daughter is 8, I have just been informed that as she has a double barrelled surname and her father is not travelling with us (now separated) that I will need to have a sworn affidavit to confirm I have permission to take her. If you are travelling with a child under 12 who has the same surname you, you do not need anything apart from passports and the childs bith certificate. Has anyone recently done this? :disappoin

dinakerls

Apr 7, 2004
You shouldn't have any problems.....

I just got back from the DR 4/3/04 and I travelled with just my 6 year old son and they only looked at his passport and that was it. I did carrry his birth certificate and also his Social Security card.....just for good measure. But you be fine with just the passport. :glasses:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
my experience

I needed notarized letter of permission from her father, divorce papers showing my name change and custody arrangements, long form birth certificate and passport but that was only to leave Canada. Once in the DR, they didn't even look at her passport for longer than it took to stamp it. I would suggest that you have all papers that you could possibly need, just in case. It likely depends on the immigration officer that you get once you arrive that makes a difference. Understand also, that in my case, my daughter and I have different last names, and I have shared custody with her father.