Global Warming = More Tourism for the DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Below I have included a link about an article published today Monday, March 22, 2004. It's saying that Global Warming could bring a cooling down of temps in Europe and many areas of US and Canada because of the shut down of the Gulf stream ( a flow of warm caribbean waters that starts in the Bahamas and skirts the coast of the southeastern U.S. up to North Carolina then it crosses the Atlantic and spills the water in northern europe. This current also carries mild weather hence London is in the 40s when other cities in it's lattitude are in the 20s and Palm trees grow along the Mediterranean when in New York City (at the same lattitude) is freezing to death). So as I read this and apparently global warming spells a cooling for many of the world's rich countries sooner than we think (in a decade not millions of years as thought) maybe dominican tourism is bound to go through a new boom?! Hey, it could happen right?!

Here is the link: http://www.fortune.com/fortune/subs/article/0,15114,582584,00.html

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Perhaps you'd be wiser to put on your "rose-colored glasses" and look at the obverse of increased tourism as a result of the warming trend.

There will be a radical increase in ultraviolet and infrared bombardment in the tropical zones as a result of such warming and a correspondingly increased danger of skin cancer resulting therefrom. I think people will realize that and stay away in droves, sounding the death-knell for tourism in the DR.

Anyone agree with me???

Texas Bill

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ozone layer

From what I understand, we still have an ozone layer above our heads here in the DR, whereas all they have up there in the Great White North is a big gaping hole, allowing all those nasty cancer causing rays to come through.
Marco.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Not really

The Ozone layer is what protects us of the ultraviolet rays.

The holes in the ozone layer are at the poles, so If they keep getting bigger the "danger zones" will reach the Northermost as well as Southernmost latitudes first.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's right!!

So people, start purchasing your lots now across the island. Imagine the mass migration of moneyed white folks to the tropics running away from the higher UV rays in the northern climes of this earth. Not to mention that light skin people are much more at risk when it comes to absorbing UV rays, but it affects all humans. Just that whites will have a really bad burnt all the time and blacks, well they will keep getting darker :cheeky: . But getting back to reality here, land in the central mountain range will certainly become desirable. Since it's very cool in the Valle Nuevo now, as temps rise at sea level they will rise in higher elevations. The higher you go, the much more comfy it will get. Since Valle Nuevo is some 6,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level and there are no glacier covering any dominican mountains, don't expect any flooding of any sort. And the DR will survive this ordeal. And once the UV rays reach the latitudes of the DR, much of the world would be fried out.