Drifting scene in the DR

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Drifting, as in drifting in your car??? If so, I'd love to check out some drifting spots.

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Tony C said:
How is the drifting scene in the DR? Last time I was there it was just starting to catch on.

That's good news. I will be in Cabarete in approx. 3 weeks and check out the wind and currents in that area. I may travel around a bit and try the Boca Chica area.

If the drift is fast may get some good cuda, yellow fin and dophin action.

Joah

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Joah said:
That's good news. I will be in Cabarete in approx. 3 weeks and check out the wind and currents in that area. I may travel around a bit and try the Boca Chica area.

If the drift is fast may get some good cuda, yellow fin and dophin action.

Joah

Sorry Joah,
Wrong kind of drift.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Drifting-explanation to the uninitiated

Drifting is a high-skill, high-powered motorsport that calls for drivers to control a 450hp car while it slides sideways at high speed through a marked course. It is similar to rally racing, but is done on a closed course and judged on execution and style rather than who finishes the course fastest. Drifting takes all the thrilling moments of traditional motorsports and packs it together into non-stop competition. The D1 Grand Prix takes the excitement one step further by being the only drifting competition that features aggressive side-by-side action as finalists burn up the course two-at-a-time often only inches apart.

Drifting pros finesse their cars into spectacular powerslides around a series of corners of a set course as powerful engines roar and the tires bellow smoke. The driver controls engine power, shifts gears and feathers the brake pedal, while at the same time spinning the steering wheel in a precise fashion from left to right linking corners with pinpoint accuracy. The driver is controlling and maneuvering the car beyond the limits of the tires' traction.
For more info see:

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
With all the inclined and curved roads in the DR, there has to be a few drifting spots. I'm more into the street drifting rather than going to a track like james described. Either way, I'd prolly still go just to see how the scene is in the DR.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
James got it right pretty much in his description of Drifting except about the 450 HP part. You don't need that kind of power to drift. In fact one of the most popular Drift cars is a Late 80's early 90's Nissan 240SX. A rear wheel drive vehicle but it would take Mega-$ to squeeze 450 hp out of that 4 banger.
Horsepower of course would be useful on extended curves.
Drifting, like any other form of Motorsports can be done by just about anybody. It takes skill and talent to do it good!

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
Drifting happen's everyday in D.R.

"Drifting" is a major part of driving in, well the N.coast.
It is a skill you must acquire if you are going to drive in the D.R.
I didn't know I was participating in a motor sport!!!!
In the U.S. we call it DODGING POTHOLES. On the N.Coast it?s called commuting.
In the D.R. if you can?t drift you will loose your front end, shocks or struts...life.
And to be honest I have seen some of the ?racing? on the N.Coast and the only real race for these ?race cars? is to the junkyard.
But like anything else in the D.R. you make the best of what you got? Pure Vida
God Bless the D.R?. wait he already has, now THANK HIM!!!!