Dominican Students at Harvard hoist Reformista Flag and Invoke powers of Balaguer

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Dominican Students at Harvard have said, Enough of non-Conservative Politics.

Cambridge, MA

Reformistas, si ha llegado la hora y no es tiempo de andar vendiendose como sardinas pica pica a leoncitos y tigres. Encuentren en su interior el orgullo de ser reformista: 22 a?os de gobierno por y para el pueblo con tangibles resultados, politicos de los buenos y sin agendas ocultas, principios nacionalistas y conservadores, y sobretodo una particular empatia por los mas necesitados de la patria.
Eso si, OJO: Sobretodo cuidado con el leoncito, cuya hipocresia e infulas de grandeza lo van a llevar a su tumba politica. Tumba que no queremos compartir ya que somos mas y mejor que ellos. Arriba la moral, arriba el conservador, cauteloso, y business-friendly Reformismo!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Amory, what exaclty are you pointing out? Was there a demonstration of Dominican students at Harvard? Is your post some kind of press release? Are you a Dominican student at Harvard?

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Yeah, pretty much. We're just sick of seeing our country run down the shits because of people's stupidity. There is obviously a solution to all our problems and that solution deals with returning to the prosperous, roaring 90s which the PRSC helped establish after the reforms of 1989 and 1990. We've sat down, we've been very collegiate about it, and we came to a clear conclusion that we wanted to share with you guys. It's basically a call for the dormant, conservative, grateful masses that know that only the PRSC and its team of highly qualified technocrats can bring the country forward. The differences between the PRSC and other parties is incredibly obvious.

Therefore we call on you and others to simply put aside the b/s and bring back a hard-working team. Mr Estrella might not be the most charismatic of chaps, but deeply you know and I know that he, along with Mr Hazim is the only team with the corporate mindset and elitism to bring the country out of the hands of the "plebeians." You might call this attitude a bit pedantic. Yeah, it probably is. But you know what, who cares, because that is the attitude that is needed to run our country... a cold, firm grip of conservative reforms, fiscal constraint, and market building. In other words, we want the formation of the Dominican Republic Corporation in which all the rubbish being tossed around today by Mr Mejia and--even worse--Mr Fernandez, would be abolished.

Take Mr Fernandez for example. He's talking about e-government or some crap like that to stem corruption. That's right in line with his "Nueva York Chiquito" comment back during his oh so crappy administration. Relatively, it was not crappy, but anyone... even the Haitian Pe?a Gomez... could have run the country relatively well. I mean with the low price of oil, high risk tolerance by international investors, and his wimpyness of not passing the necessary reforms (which Mr Mejia had to bear).... anyone could have done it... My cat Mingo could have done it! Instead of taking advantage of that climate, Mr Fernandez let his poor, socially outcast friends steal and steal and steal. He also promised so much... and did so little. Even his tunnels are falling apart (note that the one under Mirador is just fine....)... I don't even want to get started with Mr Fernandez's due spanking and bashing.... but in any case the point is only the PRSC, given the current conjecture, will lead the country towards greener pastures.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Amory Blaine:

I agree with every word of your refreshing post, and believe Eduardo Estrella may be the only Reformista worthy of being a true Balaguerista!

The problem is Eduardo lacks not only the support needed from his own party, but also lacks the charisma to campaign on his own, thus we must make a tough choice and back the PLD to assure the PRD never returns to power, this being the worst case scenario for our country.

Viva Balaguer.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Narcosis said:
Amory Blaine:

I agree with every word of your refreshing post, and believe Eduardo Estrella may be the only Reformista worthy of being a true Balaguerista!

The problem is Eduardo lacks not only the support needed from his own party, but also lacks the charisma to campaign on his own, thus we must make a tough choice and back the PLD to assure the PRD never returns to power, this being the worst case scenario for our country.

Viva Balaguer.

FYI the reason many well off people want the "Red" party in power (especially those who buy their way into Harvard) is their whole family has been losing out on fleecing the country. They apparently were just a little bit more discreet about it.

I'm acquainted with a lot of these families, and while things may have been "better" under Balaguer, it was still a dirt poor country for 99% of people. If you Harvard kids really want to help your country, stop enslaving your maids/gardeners etc and work for some decent wages for your people. Also tell your families to stop importing/exporting drugs out of the "free zones" for Colombia and Panama (i've SEEN the tons of cocaine and marijuana in the free zones). If your families don't do this, but own businesses in the DR, tell them to stop mingling with these families just because they drive a BMW or Mercedes like you. Guilty by association. YOU are the only people who can change the culture of corruption and thievery gripping your country, because you primarily set the tone.

Look to your own "cream of society" for change first, and stop trying to trick the entire country into believing Balaguer was the best thing for the DR. He was horrible as well. Also, I went to school with the son of the last Balaguer VP.......he drove a Ferrari to school..........and he was 15. Hard to get that sort of money with a supposed US$75,000 a year salary. Balaguer and his cronies were huge crooks as well.

I've known many people who have gone to Brown/Harvard etc etc in the US from schools like Carol Morgan, only to get back home and take over the corrupt family business. Use that education for something other than learning how to hide your funds better in the EU, and change your country. Ever think of making a new party? Why do you need the 80 year old corrupt officials from the Trujillo era?

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Dude! But why settle for second best!!!!! We can still do it. We can. We must! The PLD is so not hot. It'll be the end of it, of us, of all. Eduardo, with a blitz of good marketing can do it. Leonel treats all of us reformistas as "plato de segunda mesa." Why should we allow him that arrongance.. Why allow him to treat us as if we were some obscure party with no history. He was still going around in chancletas doing deliveries for some bodega in New York City harbouring Comunist thoughts and feeling resented since his mom was some maid while our party was in power... How can we accept some triumph from a guy of that ilk.. It's disgusting, it's unheard of, it's unfair, really. I mean why is that so hard to see?? Who does he think he is?

Leonel has made me revalue all that is dear to me. Why be a good student, why work so hard, why do anything, really, if I have to be a citizen of a country ruled by a party of maids, mechanics, pinkos, and fags who might be going around in jeepetas today, are no more than barrio people of the worst cala?a. I mean those people are great people, friendly, and helpful, but when you mix social resentment, give them the keys to the presidency, and give them ego-boosts, they turn on you. It's like that whole "chopo con poder" story...

I dunno, I'm just utterly confused and appalled by all of this and by the ignorance of the common man... Look at El Salvador, were the right won fair and square, it's obvious, only well-backgrounded people and conservative policies lead the world towards good.

Is it too late to clone Balaguer?

Amory Blaine de la Rocha

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Gilbert:

You are one of them... those socially resented bastards.

and I could be lying for all you know... and don't be saying that people that get into Harvard "pay their way"... be it true or not (of me going to H), Harvard is a respectable institutions were BRAINS not money matters.

Ciao ciao

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Amory Blaine said:
Gilbert:

You are one of them... those socially resented bastards.

and I could be lying for all you know... and don't be saying that people that get into Harvard "pay their way"... be it true or not (of me going to H), Harvard is a respectable institutions were BRAINS not money matters.

Ciao ciao

That's how many of my friends from high school got into Georgetown/Harvard/Brown/Northwestern with 200,000-500,000 dollar donations right? Even though they had 2.0 GPAs?

How do I know? Becauise my wife was one of them.....and I was an American whose parents did the same for me.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Gilbert:

You may be a bit young to appreciate the importance Balaguer was for the stability of our country during the cold-war era, an era that saw bloody civil wars all over Central and South America.

The post-Trujillo era could have brought this country into the same mayhem.

Only Balaguer had the vision and brains to tame the far right and keep just enough freedom for the left to remain alive..

Viva Balaguer

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Narcosis said:
Gilbert:

You may be a bit young to appreciate the importance Balaguer was for the stability of our country during the cold-war era, an era that saw bloody civil wars all over Central and South America.

Only Balaguer had the vision and brains to tame the far right and keep just enough freedom for the left to remain alive..

Viva Balaguer

Truer words have never been said... Just think of Guate, Salvador, Nica....

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Narcosis said:
Gilbert:

Viva Balaguer

Balaguer was scum who killed many of my relatives. He can rot in hell for all I care. And FYI the man was barely coherent for the last 10 years of his "rule". Also do yourself a favor and read your own history books, Balaguer was a ruthless DICTATOR who held onto power solely for his/his cronies own profit.

Learn a lesson, all countries must go through MASSIVE turmoil to become a society where ANYONE can be successful. Not just people who have the money for Codetel DSL and a computer. What the DR really needs is a true revolution from the poor masses. Violence there is growing from my understanding, and violent crimes are becoming more and more common. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revolution in the next 20 years.

I'm really not "hoping" for it, I never hope for death but I just don't think people realize how many millions of people live/die/rot in shanty towns which are hidden by the government.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
First of all your wrong...We already endured 30 years of turmoil...

We either choose to go in the opposite direction as Juan Bosch almost did and really piss-off the people we just got liberated from, or go a more moderate route, which we eventually did.

Do you think that hundreds of powerful military men just dissapeared? These are the guys that killed your supposed relatives, not Balaguer.

I suggest YOU read the history of other countries and then you will understand what we avoided!

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
Narcossis, no le respondas. Ese tipo esta en las tinieblas, dejalo ahi.

No vale la pena discutir con ese tipo de gentecita mediocre y mentecata que de verdad no hace analisis del opportunity cost de no haber tenido a Balaguer. It's pure economics, people. The dead were killed by other powers not in Balaguer's hand; it was the world order back then. And let's not forget that Hipolito has also killed through his bloody strikes and Leonel ni se diga.

Ciao ciao....

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
People take note: that guy has criticized

>Me
>Narcossis
>Carol Morgan parents and students
>Harvard, Georgetown (for claiming we admit students due to donation: have you not stopped to realize that maybe those that DO make donations tend to have smarter kids just because they have the money to enrich their lives with good schools, camps, etc)
>His wife who is "one of them" according to him
>Balaguer--who admitedly was not a saint, but man who the hell would have done a better job at keeping the country at peace and not falling into the turmoils of Central America, Colombia, etc....
>and the list shall continue... those liberal types hate everything.. i wonder if they are ever happy in their world of incomformity... (sigh)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Amory, what is your major at Harvard? Coincidentally, I will probably trek down to the Coop this weekend to return a book....about nothing else than Populism in Latin America...

Amory Blaine

Jan 25, 2003
I prefer not to say.

We're heading out for Spring Break this weekend. So maybe we catch up after the break.

Ta ta

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Fascinating interchange gentlemen

and that is sincerely meant. Snr. de la Rocha, many former Reformistas are now supporting Leonel. I don't just mean Troncoso, but the folk on the ground. They would do ANYTHING to avoid 4 more PPH years, (or 6 or 8).
With your passion & love of your country, why not take a leave of absence & come back home & help your cause? I'd LOVE to be able to vote, regrettably as a gringa I can't. But this country has been my home for years & I don't want it going downhill either.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Amory, I just criticize what needs to be criticized in the DR. I don't enjoy seeing the GIGANTIC gap between the rich and poor in the country.

I know many of the "top" people in the Dominican government, business and society. Unfortunately 95% of them are very corrupt and have strong ties to criminal activity in some way, shape or form.

It's a shame to see the "real" people of the DR suffer while a select few line their pockets with bribe money and drug money, all the while claiming they are working to eliminate poverty. This has gone on for dozens of years, and nothing ever changes.

The DR doesn't need a "new" dictator people can believe in, they need a real constitution and strong limits and checks on the government. There will have to be a major upheavel for that to happen. When does it happen? Who knows.......but in 1987 the Peso/dollar exchange rate was 2/1, in 1994 14 to 1.......now 48 to 1. That happened during Balaguer's rule as well, just the corruption catching up to the economy.

Mar 21, 2002
Misses Blaine, if you haven't noticed the DR is not the French Riviera. It's a dirt poor country full of masses of hungry uneducated but friendly people. Why do you want to do anything about it? Finish your harvard degree, live in the N.E. and forget the DR.

There are no greater chopos than the ones that speed up and down in SD and Santiago in their overpriced metallic junkboxes so everyone can see. I know cuz I've dealt with those idiotas!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
GilbertArenas said:
It's a shame to see the "real" people of the DR suffer while a select few line their pockets with bribe money and drug money, all the while claiming they are working to eliminate poverty. This has gone on for dozens of years, and nothing ever changes.
QUOTE]

Dozens of years?!?! Try 500+

Now, just for the record, I think Balaguer did more for the DR than any other president we've had. IF you dont think so, you should have seen the DR before the first 12 years. A freaking Campo with little or no industry at all. Shame there are no objective history books written about the DR but rather it is passed down by word of mouth where everyone adds a bit of fiction.

But alas, he's passed on and we are stuck with two clowns who would love to emulate the great leader but both lack the brains and a very shy Eduardo Estrella. I know the three candidates to the elections and let me give you my impression.
Leonel: He'll charm the pants off you. You'll walk out of his office feeling marvelous, but at the end of the day you wont get crap because he is not incharge. Mark these words down, Leonel does not implement policy in his government. He does what he is told by a grupito.
Hipo: He'll piss the crap out of you. He may seem stupid and at times moronic but the guy's inb charge of everything that goes on in government. He talks and people obey. His little group is very dear to him and to hell with everyone else. He just doesnt care.
Eduardo: He is a very sharp and smart guy as a manager. He performed brilliantly under Balaguer's regime, but he shines for his excesive politeness and modesty. While Leonel and Hipo steal the limelight pulling out their panties, playing basketball and making idiotic coments.

Now, if you all love your DR as you say you do, come on down and start educating people. Its the hardest thing to do because it wont make you rich and your country will probably never recognize you for it. But its the only way we'll MAYBE get a decent congress, senate and president in the next 50 years. Untill then, this country will be ruled the the scum and chopo classes of society who only look after themselves and mostly come from (i'd hate to sound classist, but here it goes) the poor.

Everyone wants to eat cake.