How can the Bureaucracy be Improved???

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
We all (Dominicans, Expats, Visitors alike) have, from time to time been exposed to the bureaucratic functions of the Dominican Government and to it's evident slowness in responding to the requirements of the constituency in the everyday handling of official matters.
We have also met those workers who have alluded to being overworked, underpaid and who profess to be amenable to "expediting" one's request for service if only ?-?-?-? ((thumb gently stroking the other four fingers)???
And, we have come in contact with those who seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the service element with which they are supposed to be working.
What is the solution? How can such be either eliminated and/or mitigated? How/what is necessary to effect a change for an effective and efficient bureaucratic operation which is knowledgable, efficient and honest?

I would like to see some positive answers. Not a generally whining response to the questions above, but some well thought out solutions.

ARE YOU GAME???

Texas Bill

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How about.....

starting with a career grade civil service which does not change every 4 years when the government does? Entry through professional examination, promotion based on merit.......yeah, I know....I ought to know better after nearly 12 years here! Of course, it has to start before that, with basic education.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Lambada;

That's a very insightful start!

Now, how would you go about implementing just that!
How about some basic legislation first which would begin the process?
How would you go about convincing the Legislative Branch to introduce and pass the necessary laws?
Would getting the support of the Business and Education Communities be effective?
How about the Government Employees themselves organizing and demanding such a system?
Would that work? Would it be worthwhile?

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A respected Government would go a LONNNNNG way to improving services in Town Halls & Governmental offices!! Most workers are only doing what their bosses do in MUCH bigger figures!!

I really do believe that many Dominicans would like to see the end of CORRUPTION, (not the petty giving of small perfumes, a meal out at a restaurant, the occasional little present, etc. but the BIG stuff) where WE, the TAX payers get screwed by having to foot the bill!! Get THAT under control, Politicians that only tell small lies rather than the GIGANTIC ones they garble out at the moment, & we could be taking a step forward!!

More to follow after I have had my supper!! - Grahame.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
knowledgeable,efficient and honest???

Where on earth are you going to find people to work for DR. with those qualifications in their resume?? If they're knowledgeable, He/She will find a way to profit from their position in government; If efficient, will grow even more corrupt; If honest, will never be part of such. As everybody knows, bureaucrats are there to exploit their turn in power to the max, from the president on down to the lowest ranking member of such party. The ONLY chance at the above attibutes is to, in a way, hit the lottery by electing a president that is knowledgeable,efficient and honest.....What are the chances?... As long as there's corruption, there will always be inefficientcy, dishonesty and lots of graft. the DR. government is choc full of inept, incompetent,unskilled,unqualified,untrained morons and we'll never prosper until strict measures are taken to install people in key government jobs based on their merits not party affiliation.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Okay, stomach now fed so here is some other 'Food for thought'!!

Lambada is right to suggest that it all comes down to educating the masses - those that VOTE. Get the voting populace to understand WHY they ought to vote one way or another, why they need to vote FOR a person rather than against the other guy, what is likely to make a country succeed & prosper, BASIC economics (what you buy has to be paid for & what you borrow has to be paid back!!!) & then educate how to vote for the person in the community who will get things done, fairly, honestly & without corruption.

Of course, this won't get done overnight & there is a very good chance my lifetime will not see this country voting in a Responsible Government, but poco a poco & 50 years down the road ................ maybe!!!

So, honest & knowledgable teachers teaching economics, history & human rights in the schools & we are on the way. Add in a spoonful of teaching respect for others, RESPONSIBILITY of actions/decisions taken & planning for the future (sorry, is planning a dirty word in this contaxt??) & within 10 years you will have a core of thinking students going off into the voting world!! Perhaps each "First World Country" could be encouraged to donate two weeks working holidays for the top 50 students in these subjects every year to let them experience how voting decisions are made in each of these countries. Assuming 30 first world countries make these donations/scholarships, 30 x 50 = 1,500 students a year being educated into political awareness!!

In exchange, The Dominican Republic should issue scholarships to 100 students of behavoural sciences so that they can study how to LAY back & enjoy life!!!! - Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Texas Bill said:
Lambada;

That's a very insightful start!

Now, how would you go about implementing just that!
How about some basic legislation first which would begin the process?
How would you go about convincing the Legislative Branch to introduce and pass the necessary laws?
Would getting the support of the Business and Education Communities be effective?
How about the Government Employees themselves organizing and demanding such a system?
Would that work? Would it be worthwhile?

Texas Bill
I don't think there is much chance of implementing any of this through legislation, or coercion. That is why I suggested basic education, like for example the civics training some teachers have already undergone. Of course, if you had a REALLY good President, he could do some of it by Decree (really coercive!).
I actually think there ARE a lot of hard working, honest, efficient etc etc Dominicans....I don't just think, I KNOW. They are among my friends. So I would disagree with Don Juan's premise. My friends' value systems came from their upbringing, viz their parental value systems. If we look for the good in people, that is a better place to start than castigating the bad in them. And that goes for all of us.....we foreigners have much to learn from Dominicans.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Don Juan said:
Where on earth are you going to find people to work for DR. with those qualifications in their resume?? If they're knowledgeable, He/She will find a way to profit from their position in government; If efficient, will grow even more corrupt; If honest, will never be part of such. As everybody knows, bureaucrats are there to exploit their turn in power to the max, from the president on down to the lowest ranking member of such party. The ONLY chance at the above attibutes is to, in a way, hit the lottery by electing a president that is knowledgeable,efficient and honest.....What are the chances?... As long as there's corruption, there will always be inefficientcy, dishonesty and lots of graft. the DR. government is choc full of inept, incompetent,unskilled,unqualified,untrained morons and we'll never prosper until strict measures are taken to install people in key government jobs based on their merits not party affiliation.

Don Juan!!

Get with the program!!

I asked HOW can the system be improved. I didn't ask for a bunch of whining and excuses about what IS and WHY you think it CAN'T be improved!

Post some POSITIVE suggestions, or get off the pot!!!

Stay ON THREAD, Please!

Texas Bill

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
The fact of the matter is......

Texas Bill said:
Don Juan!!

Get with the program!!

I asked HOW can the system be improved. I didn't ask for a bunch of whining and excuses about what IS and WHY you think it CAN'T be improved!

Post some POSITIVE suggestions, or get off the pot!!!

Stay ON THREAD, Please!

Texas Bill
....That the problem has to be recognized before the solution can be implemented. Maybe I was stating the obvious .....Mea culpa. The difference between Hippo's and Leonel's government is the degree by which these two parties sought to enrich themselves... You implement severe penalties for corruption, (read: grand larceny of government funds) and you eliminate 90% of what ails the DR........It's as simple as that. No need to look for complex solutions to the obvious!... Now as to HOW this can be accomplished is another matter that I'm too dumb to have an answer to. BTW, Bill, I don't whine or make excuses. I tell it like it is..OK?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Don Juan said:
....That the problem has to be recognized before the solution can be implemented. Maybe I was stating the obvious .....Mea culpa. The difference between Hippo's and Leonel's government is the degree by which these two parties sought to enrich themselves... You implement severe penalties for corruption, (read: grand larceny of government funds) and you eliminate 90% of what ails the DR........It's as simple as that. No need to look for complex solutions to the obvious!... Now as to HOW this can be accomplished is another matter that I'm too dumb to have an answer to. BTW, Bill, I don't whine or make excuses. I tell it like it is..OK?

OK--- I stand corrected!

Just trying to nip some of the unrelated stuff in the bud before it goes out of hand and away we go into never-never land like so many other threads have done.

Sorry, partner, I was wrong and you were right and I see your point.

Texas Bill