DR by motorcycle

el bacalao

Mar 22, 2004
3 weeks in the DR solo on a motorcycle BC, bayahibe to las terrenas by way of miches, sabana de la mar and the ferry across samana bay, sousa, luperon, punta ruscia, santiago, jarabacoa, constanza, palmar de ocoa, azua, santo domingo, and the beautiful and amazing sights in between these points. Diving in bayahibe, las terrenas, and punta ruscia. I could say the trip had its high points but the reality is the whole trip was one incredible high point from beginning to end. I will try to go into more detail in the future, especialy if there is any intrest, but i thought i would get this up for now.have fun.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
That sounds unbelievable. Are you from the DR? Did you rent the motorcycle? How many hours per day did you actually spend driving? Where were the best dives? Okay, I give - I want more details! :) Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
More!

I too, would like more details. We did a trip last year from POP to Samana with a few little side trips, but want to go west and maybe south next time. Also, did you go west of Punta Ruscia along the coast at all? Did you do all "road" riding, or did you do some trail riding too? What kind of bike did you have? Let us hear more. Sounds like you didn't stay in 1 place too long.

Bob H.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Sounds great but I am assuming you did not have any rainy spells mixed in there. Inclement weather could really put a damper on travelling by motorcycle. Also, I assume you couldn't carry too much luggage with you. Hope you return and expand on your post.

Larry

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
Sounds great

Your trip sounds fantastic.

Please tell us a bit more about how you arranged the trip: did you rent your motorcycle or buy it?, what did you do when the weather turned nasty, what were some of your interesting experiences, etc etc.

I envy you.

el bacalao

Mar 22, 2004
more on the trip

First i must give my thanks to all those who post and make this board possiable,the things i learned here helped to make my trip the success it was, a special thanks to CC, i always enjoy your posts THANK YOU ALL.
the moto a kawaski 125 was rented from ney @ N+V in frount of the boca chica beach resort ney gets about $40 us a day for a moto, long term @less than $25 us. for those of you that don't know a 125 is a big bike in DR, in three weeks i maybe saw 10 bikes bigger. i have never been on a vacation like this before, i was looking for an adventure, and i found one. this was my first time in DR. i am an americian of 46 years, 2 years of spanish in high school helped but i cannot converse(maybe next year i'm working on that). a couple of days i spent more than 10 hours on the bike a couple days i didn't ride at all. 4 nights in bayahibe (reservations recommended), 4 nights in las terrenas, 4 nights in punta rucia. all the dives were good for their own unique reasons, at $30 to$35 us per dive (equipment provided) i would not have missed any of them. Casa Daniel in bayahibe, service top knoch, boat ride to catalinita and saona worth the price of admission alone, plus diving and snorkling. in las terrenas with rick and jane right on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world to las ballenas, wonderful.(last place on the right headed to el portello) then with Tony to isla periso from punta rucia where all the coral is still alive. i wanted very much to go west from punta rucia to monte cristi but i was running out of time and the decision to head for azua won out. there is alot of mangrove along this coast which limits acess and i decided to leave it for next year. i did all road riding, remember there are alot of dirt "roads" in DR, on at least two occasions i could go no further on the "road" one of which was the road between constanza and san jose de ocoa, very clear on the map, not so in reality, i was warned by the guide book, but i didn't listen (it didn't help that i was having trouble with a lose chain) the guide book was almost always right too. i turned around and went the long way by the highway to azua, i got caught in the traffic jam when that bus went off the road between constanza and bonao, my heart goes out to those families and people affected. weather was not a problem. was i lucky? i got wet once. i'm not counting damp or the wet that evaporates in minutes at 50 mph. at 80 degrees sometimes if there was a passing shower i would just stop and enjoy a beer or refresco, alittle merengue, some coconut candy you can't ride all the time and i really enjoyed getting a feel for the place up close. i had alot of conversations with people that were egar to try out their english, i was often embarrassed that so many people in this world speak some of another language, my spanish will be better next year. for luggage i had 1 bag about 50 lbs including mask snorkle and fins a tent just in case w/ air matress tent ect. not nessary. if you are not too picky(i'm not) you can always find someplace to sleep. even the worst place i stayed in had nice clean sheets and the country is just not that big, you go from one place to another leaving plenty of time tward the end of the day to find some place that you want to stay. and there are always cabanas to fall back on, the nicest place i stayed on my whole trip was a cabana (cabanas palmar just south of santiago $17 us) . the most i paid for a room was $36 US average $15 US, not unusual for the shower head to be missing or there to be holes in screens or missing screens, if mosqitoes present bug repelent before bed (i got bit about 7 times in three weeks no big deal) the riding was fantastic outside the cities there is just not alot of traffic, there were new sights around every corner, men with oxen harvesting cane, mountians to look at, to be in, to look from, ocean to drive along for miles, remote beaches to look for, i loved the oranges(best i ever had) and the pretty girls. i did alot of research before i went, on this board, on the internet, the moon handbook on the DR read it over and over, 2 different maps (rough guide and berndtson) both nessary. when you understand that the country is about 4 hrs deep by about 8 hrs wide on a moto, you understand that its not very far to anywhere you might want to go. I'll be back, have fun. john