For those of you who pay IVSS (luxury Tax)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
on your houses, be advised that whereas this used to apply to properties of a declared value of 1.5 million pesos & more, the baseline has now changed. Those who pay it will know what "declared value" means, not what you paid for the house, nor what it is worth, but what it is deemed to be worth on your tax papers. The baseline is now 3 million pesos.
How did I find out? Pure nosiness! I went in late January to DGII offices & while the clerk was out of the room I "happened upon" an email printout to this effect on her desk (don't ask!!) It had not been made public to my knowledge then, & I certainly got sheepish (?even guilty) looks when I raised the matter. Ten days later the printout was visible stuck to the glass partition (I had been a bit vocal).
It means most people will pay less IVSS than last year. Of course, they are "revaluing" declared values by 40% (presumably linking to inflation, or a figure pulled out of thin air!). Again, no publicity on this either, although I do have an email printout authorising it! I am paying less IVSS for 2004 than I paid in 2003. If your declared value is less than 3 million pesos after the 40% adjustment, you should pay no IVSS at all.
Rob, not sure if this should be here or in Living. Please move if you feel appropriate.

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Ivss

This situation is nothing new. The increase in the top margin for the luxury tax(vivienda suntuaria) to $3,000,000 legally took effect in September 2002. Both legislative chambers voted in favor and Hipolito signed it into law. However, Hippo thru his typical arbitrary methods, suspended the application of the law until January of 2003. Yet, they kept this thing in hiding from the public until now so they can use all this money for the presidential campaign.

TW

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In Jan 2003, when I went to pay the IVSS, they told me it was not a law applied in practice yet, & to return in March 2003. I did & was told the 3 million baseline was not in operation. Should it have been, Golo? I ask because I remember who told me, he still works there & if he was being economical with the truth, I shall return & have a little Lambada scene, in public, of course!