Question for those living in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Hola todos,

I'm going to be living in Puerto Plata this summer and I've found an apartment that they told me is located in Sanches Luperon, in POP. I heard from a friend that they think that this is actually in the middle of nowhere. Is this true?

As well, for anyone familiar with the area, could you please give me an idea of what is within close proximity and what is the area like in terms of safety. (ie. theft, etc.)

Thanks so much,

lilcanadiangal :classic:

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
You're in POP

Find Ave. 12th de Julio on a map of Puerto Plata, the area is north of the street and ends at the Malecon along the sea. The police station is 4 or 5 blocks away. A fairly respectable barrio but still lock your doors and windows and don't flash your cash.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks!

Jerry K said:
Find Ave. 12th de Julio on a map of Puerto Plata, the area is north of the street and ends at the Malecon along the sea. The police station is 4 or 5 blocks away. A fairly respectable barrio but still lock your doors and windows and don't flash your cash.

Jerry K, thank you very much for that information! That certainly makes me feel a bit more at ease.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
In fact...

I lived in Sanchez Luperon and yes it is in POP and it is not in the middle of nowhere.
You will be located within a couple of blocks from the Malecon (street that runs along the ocean), you are within walking distance to a supermercado, the police station ( remember - walk by and always smile and wave to the officers sitting around all day long!!!) and it is even not a far jaunt to walk to the city centre for shopping etc.) You will be in the vicinity of Ave. Luis Ginebra if that helps while looking at a map.
As far as safety is concerned - use common sense - there is theft and crime everywhere in the world - lock your doors when you go out, don't flash money around, don't open your home to strangers and don't confide too much in your landlord about your personal belongings. We never had a problem but we got to know all our neighbours as well in case anything did come up - they would be there to help us.
By any chance- is your landlady named Sally 'cause if it is, you would be staying in my old apartment!!!!
PM if you have any more questions,
Marlie

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Marlie - Thanks so much for the detailed information. It's nice to hear from someone to actually lived in the area. I don't think that's my landlord's name..although that would be such a coincidence if it was!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.