Santiago to Caberete

Snorkelgirl

Mar 28, 2004
I'm coming to the Dominican Republic in June. I've changed airports to fly into and I'm asking for some help. I'll be arriving in Santiago and going to Caberete. Can anyone tell me the distance and also the least expensive way to get there? Also where are the best places to snorkel? I'm not interested in party boats and tours where snorkeling is secondary. Are there locals that will take you out? Particular places of interest? Thank you very much for any info.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I think best is you take a cab in Santiago to the bus station of Caribe Tours or Transporte Cibao and drive with the bus to Sosua. From there you can take another taxi or taxi publico to Cabarete.
Bus ride from Santiago to Sosua is about 1 hr, taxi drive from Sosua to Cabarete is 10 to 15 min.

The beach in Cabarete is very nice, but to snorkel I prefer Sosua beach. There is a nice reef and beautiful lots of fish. You don't need to take a tour to snorkel, just go to Sosua beach and swim about 100m out. If you don't have your own snorkel you can rent the equipment directly on the beach there very cheap.
Tip: if you go snorkeling take some bread or old bananas with you! the fish love it and they will eat out of your hand!
Please don't touch the reef or even stand on it, like unfortunately some do.

We work in Sosua. When the weather is fine and when it's not too cold for us locals (no, we don't go into the ocean in the 'winter'), we take instead of a lunch break a short 'snorkel break', which is always great.
Drop me a PM when you get here. You are welcome to join us and I can show you where the nicest fish are (but they are not difficult to find by yourself).

Have a nice vacation.

quaqualita

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
You might try North Coast Dives in Sosua. They are definitely primary-type snorkeling people. When in June? We've had fun at Sosua Bay just wading in, not spectacular but nice.

Quaqualita gives good advice on the bananas, the fish will come in considerable numbers. Watch for the spiny sea urchins as they are very close to shore.

We will be there from May 27th till June15th and would be happy to meet you. PM me and I'll send you our DR cell number.

Glow

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What time do you get to Santiago? Caribe Tours buses leave hourly from Santiago to Sosua until about 6pm. The buses are very comfortable and the trip takes at least 1.5 hours, with a very short stop in Puerto Plata to let off passengers. The bus stops in Sosua right in front of a taxi stand so there will be no problem getting transport to Cabarete. For scuba and snorkeling, Northern Coast is the best. http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/

Snorkelgirl

Mar 28, 2004
Ken said:
What time do you get to Santiago? Caribe Tours buses leave hourly from Santiago to Sosua until about 6pm. The buses are very comfortable and the trip takes at least 1.5 hours, with a very short stop in Puerto Plata to let off passengers. The bus stops in Sosua right in front of a taxi stand so there will be no problem getting transport to Cabarete. For scuba and snorkeling, Northern Coast is the best. http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/
I get to Santiago at 10:25am coming and going I have to be at the airport at 9:00am

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You won't have any trouble

IF you want, there are taxis directly to Cabarete for about $35. Otherwise, do just what the folks are saying: Taxi (Ask for Rafaelito, he is #1 in the association of taxis there at the airport, a short rotund guy with a mile wide smile.)into Santiago (Caribe Tours on Maimon Street)--should be between $350 and 400 pesos depending on gasoline prices between now and then. Then the bus to Sosua, about 100 pesos more or less. then the taxi to your hotel--no idea, ask Ken or Escott.

You will arrive in daylight. Diving is great there. YOu might want to take a trip either up or down the coast for more reefs..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No problem catching a Caribe Tours bus from Santiago to Sosua. You shouldn't have to wait at the terminal long since there are hourly departures.

The return trip is also doable,but you will need to get up early. The first bus from Sosua to Santiago leaves at 5:15am, the second at 6:20, then hourly at 20 minutes after the hour until the last bus for the day departs at 6:20 pm. You will need to take the 5:15 or 6:20 bus.

Note: The bus actually goes all the way the Santo Domingo, but makes a short stop in Puerto Plata to pick up passengers and a 20 minute stop in Santiago so passengers can get something to eat.