Which DR Media Do A Good Job on Covering Environmental Issues/Uncovering Abuses?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The recent threads here on the dump in Samana and the sewage problem in Juan Dolio (among others) raise an issue I have been meaning to start a thread on, namely:

How well are environmental topics currently covered in the Dominican press?

Which medium/publication does the best job, in your opinion?

Are there certain reporters, whether in print or television (such as Nuria), that you feel have proven to be particularly good at finding and uncovering environmental abuses and scandals?

And hey, anybody here know some of these folks and can we get them plugged into this Forum in some fashion? All (sane) ideas welcomed!

Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Keith R said:
The recent threads here on the dump in Samana and the sewage problem in Juan Dolio (among others) raise an issue I have been meaning to start a thread on, namely:

How well are environmental topics currently covered in the Dominican press?

Which medium/publication does the best job, in your opinion?

Are there certain reporters, whether in print or television (such as Nuria), that you feel have proven to be particularly good at finding and uncovering environmental abuses and scandals?

And hey, anybody here know some of these folks and can we get them plugged into this Forum in some fashion? All (sane) ideas welcomed!

Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

As a foreigner living in this country for 6 years, i can say news in the newpapers, even in most of news programs in TV have to be taken with extremely caution. For example, in the samana problem, they have said all sort of things, from spelling mistakes that makes a big difference in meaning to sensationalist lies to make the news extra flash...

They are good for sounding alarms, but not reliable in their contents, poor or no investigation at all behind the news.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As far as newspapers the best one for covering and dealing with environmental issues is El Caribe. They just introduced a new format which is easily readable. The Listin Diario that used to be good is now just a one sided promotional paper for the govt. Covering only articles on politics for the PPH.