Moving Duquesa in 45 days? Are they Nuts????

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Or Just Suicidal????

Isn't anyone else startled and worried about these sudden plans to either close Duquesa and create a new dump elsewhere, or "move" Duquesa to a new locale????

First off, let me say that there is little chance of preparing a new, technically sound landfill (not going to use the word "sanitary") in a new locale in only 45 days. These things take studies, EIA prep, and then actual site preparation, all of which can take a year or two.

Second, the bird problem they want to address would only go away if they fully closed Duquesa or moved it. Closing it properly in a few months might (huge emphasis on the "might") be feasible if all conditions were favorable, but who's betting on that in the DR, much less a financially-strapped DR in an election year?

Moving it properly would take months, not 45 days, and that still begs the question where are they going to create a new dump that does not entail greater environmental and/or health risks than Duquesa does already???? Where indeed? Capotillo? Ozama? Boca Chica? Haina? San Cristobal? Where can you find a suitable site not near a river or key groundwater reservoir that is in a sparsely-populated area close to Santo Domingo (because the further away, the greater the cost of transporting the waste, leading to clandestine dumping)?

Equally important, since we are discussing the DR, is who is being given the contract to do the job (naturally it will be an emergency contract not open to public tender, and therefore not scrutinized :pirate: )? And who will operate the new dump? There is already conflict among the municipalities over who can use Duquesa and what tipping fees must be paid? Do you wish to find out that another unbreakable, outrageously expensive long-term contract (as was done for waste collection in Santo Domingo under Balaguer) has been signed with some previously unheard of corporation that exists solely as a PO box in Panama???? :mad:

Your Moderator, Wishing He was in SD Right Now to help lead the public debate on this one...

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Keith R said:
Moving it properly would take months, not 45 days, and that still begs the question where are they going to create a new dump that does not entail greater environmental and/or health risks than Duquesa does already???? Where indeed? Capotillo? Ozama? Boca Chica? Haina? San Cristobal? Where can you find a suitable site not near a river or key groundwater reservoir that is in a sparsely-populated area close to Santo Domingo (because the further away, the greater the cost of transporting the waste, leading to clandestine dumping)?

I have one question. If they move the dump to Sosua would anybody notice?

The moving of the dump in 45 days falls under the same heading as other recently announced grand Dominican Projects such as the Train to Santiago, The Airplane Factory and (my Favorite) Oil Exploration.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tony C said:
I have one question. If they move the dump to Sosua would anybody notice?

The moving of the dump in 45 days falls under the same heading as other recently announced grand Dominican Projects such as the Train to Santiago, The Airplane Factory and (my Favorite) Oil Exploration.
I know your "question" was meant as a joke, probably to elicit the reaction of our many Sosua residents & aficionados. First, let me say before any of them try to enter into a pissing match with you over Sosua, I promise to delete any such tit-for-tat exchanges about Sosua. The subject is Duquesa and its successor (if there will actually be one), not Sosua. So forget about it, guys, and just laugh at the weak joke. :ermm: Second, we all know (or should) that they will have to have a dump within 15-20 miles or so of SD, or it will never be used (cost of transport will lead to clandestine dumping in town instead). So no way in hell a North Coast dump/landfill will ever serve the South Coast.

But on your last point, I suspect you're right Tony -- this is hot air, probably said without a moment's clear thinking. (Hence the title I gave this thread). But the sad part is, just like with those other "projects" much of taxpayers' money will probably be wasted on "feasibility" and "technical" studies to show what we all knew to begin with -- that it is a crazy or stupid idea. Only the consulting engineers, and the politicians who demand "commissions" from them to steer them the work, will benefit.

Regards,
Keith