Tourist VISA requirements

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
I am very confused with the information concerning tourist VISA requirements for the following reason: my companion is officialy residing in Belgium (she has a valid resident card) but has the Philippine nationality. I called the embassy of the DR in Belgium and they said that all she needs is that resident card and her passport and that she doesn't require a VISA.

Can anyone here confirm that?

All public information about VISAs only talk about "citizens" and "nationals" without defining exactly what they mean by it.

Help will be appreciated,

Thanks

chica

Feb 9, 2004
toerist visa

Is it true you need a work contract to get a toerist visa.Its for europe.
Wich other papers do you need?
Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
xiv, have her go to the Dominican consulate

Just to be sure. The DR has some strange requirements for "Oriental" folks

CHICA: you are hijacking xiv's thread Make your own post and thread.

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Call the Consulate in the USA

xiv said:
I am very confused with the information concerning tourist VISA requirements for the following reason: my companion is officialy residing in Belgium (she has a valid resident card) but has the Philippine nationality. I called the embassy of the DR in Belgium and they said that all she needs is that resident card and her passport and that she doesn't require a VISA.

Can anyone here confirm that?

All public information about VISAs only talk about "citizens" and "nationals" without defining exactly what they mean by it.

Help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Where are you located? If the USA call the DR consulate in NYC or MIA or Washington and corroborate it.

Here is a list though:

# Visas are required for nationals of all countries except for the following: nationals of Argentina, Ecuador, Iceland, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Liechtenstein and Uruguay as tourists for a maximum of 90 days.

# nationals of the following countries are entitled to travel on Tourist cards if holding valid passports: Albania, Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cura?ao, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France and French Overseas Territories, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, San Marino, Slovak Rep, Slovenia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, the UK, the USA (including Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Hawaii), Venezuela and Yugoslavia Fed Rep.

FYI : Generally, citizens are people who are a native or naturalized member of a state or other political community and nationals are people who live there but may or may not be citizens. The citizen perspective is internal and the nationality is more external.

So the DR might consider her to be both a citizen of Phillipines (Needs a Visa) and a foreign national of Belgium (Doesn't need a Visa) .

If you have a Belgian passport you are a Belgian citizen. She's a Phillipine citizen and may be considered a permanent resident or national of Belgium. So the whole issue is moot - what's her passport say?

Then time to call another Consulate. My bet = Visa.

Last edited:

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Where are you located? If the USA call the DR consulate in NYC or MIA or Washington and corroborate it.

Here is a list though:

FYI : Generally, citizens are people who are a native or naturalized member of a state or other political community and nationals are people who live there but may or may not be citizens. The citizen perspective is internal and the nationality is more external.

So the DR might consider her to be both a citizen of Phillipines (Needs a Visa) and a foreign national of Belgium (Doesn't need a Visa) .

If you have a Belgian passport you are a Belgian citizen. She's a Phillipine citizen and may be considered a permanent resident or national of Belgium. So the whole issue is moot - what's her passport say?

Then time to call another Consulate. My bet = Visa.

Thanks for your help. As I stated earlier, I already called the Consulate of the DR in Brussels (Belgium) where they said I did not require a VISA for my wife if she had a valid resident card. But I am always suspicious :p And I found it strange that I could not find anything confirming that statement elsewhere. But this has changed, since I found something on:

http://www.dominicanrepublic.com/Tourism/english/travelguide/visa_regulations.htm

"Citizens of the countries listed below can stay for a maximum of 90 days with a tourist card which costs US$ 10 and can be purchased at accredited Dominican Consulates worldwide, when purchasing ticket, or on arrival at one of the country?s ports or international airports. These countries are:

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cura?ao, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Dominica, England (carrying British passports with the following inscription on their cover: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or Jersey or Guernsey) and its dependencies (Isle of Man and Channel Islands) Finland, France and its overseas departments (Guadeloupe, Guyana, Martinique and Reunion), Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Mexico, Monaco, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Marino, St. Martin, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobabo, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (including Puerto Rico; U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Hawaii), Venezuela, Yugoslavia and all legal residents from Canada, the United States of America, Venezuela and from the member countries of the European Union, regardless of their nationality, carrying valid passports and their residency card. "

So in other words.. if she has a residency card, she doesn't need a VISA. But now i realize that her passport expires before the required 6 months period after arrival date in the DR.. doh! :eek: . We arrive the 12nd of June and her passport expires 8th of December. Do you think we really need to renew her passport?

Thanks!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Second Opinion Required

xiv said:
"Citizens of the countries listed below can stay for a maximum of 90 days with a tourist card which costs US$ 10 and can be purchased at accredited Dominican Consulates worldwide, when purchasing ticket, or on arrival at one of the country?s ports or international airports. These countries are:

and from the member countries of the European Union, regardless of their nationality, carrying valid passports and their residency card. "

So in other words.. if she has a residency card, she doesn't need a VISA. But now i realize that her passport expires before the required 6 months period after arrival date in the DR.. doh! :eek: . We arrive the 12nd of June and her passport expires 8th of December. Do you think we really need to renew her passport?

Thanks!

Well on one hand she still is not a citizen of the listed countries or the EU and it actually does not say resident either ( as worded it says a EU citizen who has a passport and residency card). That regardless of nationality could seem to designate origin (where they were born) as long as they are now an EU citizen, which she is not. As for the 6 months expiry I am not sure they even look at that - however, if so, then she hasn't a valid paasport either. Since you have 2 months before leaving renew it.

I assume you are not in Belgium. I'd say at this point quit posting here, get on the phone and call the DR consulate nearest you, preferably Washington or NYC where they may have the best info. She has two risks - one the airline won't let her board at all, two she boards and is not admissable on arrival.

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Well on one hand she still is not a citizen of the listed countries or the EU and it actually does not say resident either ( as worded it says a EU citizen who has a passport and residency card). That regardless of nationality could seem to designate origin (where they were born) as long as they are now an EU citizen, which she is not. As for the 6 months expiry I am not sure they even look at that - however, if so, then she hasn't a valid paasport either. Since you have 2 months before leaving renew it.

I assume you are not in Belgium. I'd say at this point quit posting here, get on the phone and call the DR consulate nearest you, preferably Washington or NYC where they may have the best info. She has two risks - one the airline won't let her board at all, two she boards and is not admissable on arrival.

I do am in Belgium. But you're right I will stop posting about that topic..

Just a last remark.. if you read carefully my post it says:
"all legal residents from Canada, the United States of America, Venezuela and from the member countries of the European Union, regardless of their nationality, carrying valid passports and their residency card."

So it does talk about residents (which she is) of Belgium (member of the EU) with valid passport (err.. still needs to be done :) ) and resident card (which she has). So I don't understand your answer actually.

Thanks anyway...

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Info is correct

Im pretty sure you have gotten acurate information..a phillipino citizen friend of mine living in Holland visited The DR with just her valid passport and residency card,and I dont think the requirements vary for people living in belgium.
DR just wants the money of tourist and if youre living in a 1st world country,the feel your chances of over staying your welcome is very low,versus someone living in a a very poor thirdworld country such as (Haiti,India) might see DR as a country with better economic oportunities or a bridge to the Usa
So just go and have a great time!!!

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
JC171 said:
Im pretty sure you have gotten acurate information..a phillipino citizen friend of mine living in Holland visited The DR with just her valid passport and residency card,and I dont think the requirements vary for people living in belgium.
DR just wants the money of tourist and if youre living in a 1st world country,the feel your chances of over staying your welcome is very low,versus someone living in a a very poor thirdworld country such as (Haiti,India) might see DR as a country with better economic oportunities or a bridge to the Usa
So just go and have a great time!!!

Thanks!

I just got confused because I can read on some websites that it is okay for all EU legal (permanent) residents, regardless of their nationality, to travel without VISA:
Dominicanrepublic.com
MyTravelGuide
Yahoo! Travel
TravelIX.com

But on these sites they don't mention residents at all:
WebDominica
DominicanRepublic.net

And then on this site they do talk about residents but only for Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Korea (Rep), Liechtenstein, Peru and Uruguay:
Travel-guide.com

And then here they do talk about residents but now only for Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK and USA:
Languagecourse.net

So I got completely confused :alien: so I called the Consulate who confirmed that no VISA is needed for Belgian permanent resident, regardless of the nationality. But the thing is... these rules can change overnight so you always need to be vigilent!

Regards,