What Will The Weather Be Like ...

wattsrocks

Mar 16, 2004
Will my trip to Puerta Plata be rained out?

I will be staying at the Sun Village in Puerta Plata March 19th-March 22nd. The weather report says that there will be scattered showers every day with 30% percipitation. Will we have to spend most of our vacation indoors or might it just be light passing sun showers with no worries?

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Tuesday 3/16 Get Details
Hourly Weather
Partly sunny and very humid.
High 92? F / RF 99? F. Low 71? F / RF 81? F. Max. UV 10.

Wednesday 3/17 Get Details
Very humid with clouds and sun.
High 89? F / RF 99? F. Low 72? F / RF 82? F. Max. UV 7.

Thursday 3/18 Get Details
High 90? F / RF 97? F. Low 72? F / RF 84? F. Max. UV 8.

Friday 3/19 Get Details
High 89? F / RF 95? F. Low 71? F / RF 82? F. Max. UV 9.

Saturday 3/20 Get Details
High 88? F / RF 94? F. Low 69? F / RF 81? F. Max. UV 8.

Sunday 3/21 Get Details
High 89? F / RF 96? F. Low 70? F / RF 78? F. Max. UV 9.

Check WWW.accuweather.com

and don't worry!!!!!!!!!!! :nervous:
John

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We get very few rainy days. Usually, showers, sometimes hard, last a very short time. Dominicans take them in their stride. It starts raining, they get under an overhang and wait until it stops, knowing they won't be detained very long.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Wow.

johnsr said:
Tuesday 3/16
Partly sunny and very humid.
High 92? F / RF 99? F. Low 71? F / RF 81? F. Max. UV 10.
Where'd they come up with that forecast? That can't be for the North Coast or else it's just way off the mark. Hottest day we've had around here in the last month has been about 86. It's 82 here right now with some on and off showers. 92? No way!

Tom aka XR Four out of five people think the fifth is an idiot.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Where'd they come up with that forecast? That can't be for the North Coast or else it's just way off the mark. Hottest day we've had around here in the last month has been about 86. It's 82 here right now with some on and off showers. 92? No way!

Tom, I copied and pasted this forcast from the Accu-Weather wed site. This IS the forcast for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic!
John

NAT AND ROB

Mar 17, 2004
Help! Whats the weather like

Hello My name is Natalie and my partner and I booked a last minute holiday last night and are coming to stay at Juan Dolio next Wednesday for a week. We are really looking forward to it but I have been on the weather sites which are telling me that you have scattered showers and it's blowing a gail! Is this correct please can someone describe the weather at the moment and if anybody knows please tell me what the weather will be like from next Wednesday for a week!

Thanks

Nat

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
NAT AND ROB said:
Hello My name is Natalie and my partner and I booked a last minute holiday last night and are coming to stay at Juan Dolio next Wednesday for a week. We are really looking forward to it but I have been on the weather sites which are telling me that you have scattered showers and it's blowing a gail! Is this correct please can someone describe the weather at the moment and if anybody knows please tell me what the weather will be like from next Wednesday for a week!
There is a thread active here for current weather reports in the Dominican Republic. Just click here:

Usually the south coast is a few degrees warmer than here in the north. The forecast really doesn't change much all year. Sunny with a few scattered showers or thunderstorms. They are almost always brief, though they may be heavy, and the sun is back out a few minutes later. Don't worry about it. May is a little wetter as are October-November-December. No forecast is valid two weeks out. The only real 'weather' here comes during the winter when cold fronts scrape by from the North bringing some rain, or later in the summer when tropical waves or storms pass by. Windy? Yep. It's March! Enjoy the chichiguas!

Tom aka XR My wife got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

icdchess

Mar 17, 2004
ww.ChessUSA.com
What to expect in May, weatherwise?

Hi,
My daughter and her husband are planning a trip to DR in mid May. They are planning on staying at the Marien Coral in Puerto Plata. Other than not knowing about the hotel (do you have any comments), thay are a bit concerned about the weather in May. According to a few sites, Puerto Plata has almost 5 1/2 inches of rain in May and it rains, on the average, almost 12 days in the month. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!
Regards, Steve

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Welcome to DR1

icdchess said:
My daughter and her husband are planning a trip to DR in mid May. They are planning on staying at the Marien Coral in Puerto Plata. Other than not knowing about the hotel (do you have any comments), thay are a bit concerned about the weather in May. According to a few sites, Puerto Plata has almost 5 1/2 inches of rain in May and it rains, on the average, almost 12 days in the month. Any thoughts?
Search some of the other weather questions posted here. Same answers apply really. We can get 9" of rain in a day! But that doesn't usually mean all those days are cloudy. Check out the daily weather reports from here at Xanadu.We've had rain probably 5 out of the last 6 days. But 90% of those days have been with bright sunshine. Makes for excellent rainbows.

Share those links! I haven't had time to do a thorough search for historical type weather data for the island like that, but there are a few other posters looking for links just like that. Thanks!

Tom aka XR For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

icdchess

Mar 17, 2004
ww.ChessUSA.com
May Weather?

XanaduRanch said:
Search some of the other weather questions posted here. Same answers apply really. We can get 9" of rain in a day! But that doesn't usually mean all those days are cloudy. Check out the daily weather reports from here at Xanadu.We've had rain probably 5 out of the last 6 days. But 90% of those days have been with bright sunshine. Makes for excellent rainbows.

Share those links! I haven't had time to do a thorough search for historical type weather data for the island like that, but there are a few other posters looking for links just like that. Thanks!

Tom aka XR For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Thanks, but I am puzzled by the response. How can you get 9" of rain in a day and the day not be cloudy? How can you have 5 out of 6 days of rain but 90% of the days have bright sunshine?

Is it that it rains at night? Or are the showers instense and short-lived?
Steve

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Spent Much Time in the Tropics?

icdchess said:
Thanks, but I am puzzled by the response. How can you get 9" of rain in a day and the day not be cloudy? How can you have 5 out of 6 days of rain but 90% of the days have bright sunshine? Is it that it rains at night? Or are the showers instense and short-lived?
I said it often rains hard. I've seen four inches of rain in one hour - and not in a hurricane. The rain is usually, but not always, intense and brief. And yes often some of the best time for rain is just after sunset and just before sunrise.

Check out some of the other threads in this forum and you will understand by reading the responses to the same questions you're asking.

Tom aka XR I am ROOT. Obey me!

g.broome

Mar 8, 2002
weather in may

hi i allways go to the dr in may you may see some rain but dont worry it dosent rain all day like it dose in the uk,its allways been good weather 30 deg most days
most rain falls late afternoon,or at night

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Rain for Week of March 29th in Punta Cana?

Help! I am from New Jersey and traveling to Punta Cana the week of March 29th. I am currently seeing that they are predicting rain the entire week. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Martha

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Ken said:
Who knows. The forecast that I am looking at is for rain this weekend and clouds and clearing during the following week. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Punta+Cana

Keep in mind that we seldom have an all day rain in the DR. For example, in rained hard in Sosua last night and in the early part of the morning. But now the sun is out and we are having a beautiful afternoon.

Thank you Ken,

I am just getting nervous. On weather.com it is showing rain. The last vacation I was on we went to Turks and Cacios and it rained 5 out of the 8 days we were there. The thing that upsets me most is when the rain comes in ususally their is alot of haze and clouds, therefore making the landscape a little dreary.

bill-ny

Mar 24, 2004
Martha:
Don't worry too much about what you see on the weather predictions sites. First of all, you can't expect a great deal of accuracy when you're trying to predict weather five or more days from now. But also, as Ken mentioned, the bad weather typically doesn't last all day long. When I was preparing for my trip to Sosua last Spring, I also looked at the web-based weather forecasts, and was alarmed to see all the little rain icons. A friend assured me not to worry... that if storms occur, they often pass very quickly. He was right. During my stay (which was right about this time last year), we saw very little rain during the day, but when it did come, it lasted only an hour or so. After no time at all the clouds quickly disappeared. It's not like weather I'm used to back home (New York state), where a rainy day typically means you'll have cloudy skies all day long.

Fieryscots

Mar 25, 2004
Weather July 2004

Seriously considering DI for our honeymoon in July but are concerned about the wet weather. Travel agents in UK not useful.

Information much appreciated.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ken's Right On.

Ken said:
For example, in rained hard in Sosua last night and in the early part of the morning. But now the sun is out and we are having a beautiful afternoon.
Check out the weather reports sticky from my home on the north coast for yesterday. Just like Ken said. Poured most of the night, and was still raining hard at 10:00AM. Five minutes later the sun started to come out. I spent the afternoon in the beach, and got more than enough sun to turn a little red. Today looks like a repeat very hard rain so far overnight. It was pouring 15 minutes ago, but now it's stopped. There's a hint of sun, and it'll probably turn out to be another nice day.

The problem with weather reporting sites on the web is that they try to make one little icon fit a whole 24 hour day. Especially here in the tropics, it just can't. Not when it's pouring one minute, and hot & sunny 10 minutes later. And a forecast of "Sunny with a few cloudbursts" would be perfectly correct here 300+ days of the year.

Relax!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Fieryscots said:
Seriously considering DI for our honeymoon in July but are concerned about the wet weather. Travel agents in UK not useful. Information much appreciated.
There are no gurantees in life, but I can say you'll likely have wonderful weather. We rarely see all day rains here. See some of the other active threads in the Weather forum asking about weather forecasts. That'll give you a better handle on what to expect weatherwise from a trip to the Dominican Republic.

Tom aka XR I put hardwood floors on top of my wall-to-wall carpet.

mspreen

Feb 23, 2004
Thanks

XanaduRanch said:
Check out the weather reports sticky from my home on the north coast for yesterday. Just like Ken said. Poured most of the night, and was still raining hard at 10:00AM. Five minutes later the sun started to come out. I spent the afternoon in the beach, and got more than enough sun to turn a little red. Today looks like a repeat very hard rain so far overnight. It was pouring 15 minutes ago, but now it's stopped. There's a hint of sun, and it'll probably turn out to be another nice day.

The problem with weather reporting sites on the web is that they try to make one little icon fit a whole 24 hour day. Especially here in the tropics, it just can't. Not when it's pouring one minute, and hot & sunny 10 minutes later. And a forecast of "Sunny with a few cloudbursts" would be perfectly correct here 300+ days of the year.

Relax!

Thanks. I of course am just making myself crazy. Thanks for reassuring me that the weather should be fine. A little rain wouldn't bother me one bit. I was just really concerned because like I said last we were in Turks and Caicos. That is also the tropics. I guess we just had a bad spell. I am going to keep my head up and enjoy no matter what. I should just stop looking at the weather sites and take what comes...

Thanks again.