New Americans

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
A very interesting documentary the other night on Discovery. The story told of 4 different groups of immigrants and the changes they had to make when they immigrated to the US.
1. One man from India, right away got a job working in the computer industry, they saved his money to bring his wife.

2. Mexican family, rented a house the daughter who had not much of a chance to go to school imediately enrolled in English classes while working

3. Palistinan women who immigrated to Chicago, made ends meet by teaching Arabic to US students studying at the local university.

4. Dominican who had a 90 mile an hour fast ball. Played in the (some kind of world league against the best of the US) was looked at by all kinds of teams as a good prospect. However, ended up in some kind of criminal activity, was aquitted in court, then prompty deported!! Now he is back in the DR asking why he did not get a second chance? Boo hoo hoo!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Actually, Fred..

Fred said:
A very interesting documentary the other night on Discovery. The story told of 4 different groups of immigrants and the changes they had to make when they immigrated to the US.
1. One man from India, right away got a job working in the computer industry, they saved his money to bring his wife.

2. Mexican family, rented a house the daughter who had not much of a chance to go to school imediately enrolled in English classes while working

3. Palistinan women who immigrated to Chicago, made ends meet by teaching Arabic to US students studying at the local university.

4. Dominican who had a 90 mile an hour fast ball. Played in the (some kind of world league against the best of the US) was looked at by all kinds of teams as a good prospect. However, ended up in some kind of criminal activity, was aquitted in court, then prompty deported!! Now he is back in the DR asking why he did not get a second chance? Boo hoo hoo!
I recorded and just finished watching the 3 episodes and it was a very interesting documentary on PBS:
1- The man from India was sponsored by a major computer corporation and a was let go a few months later after the market crashed. He strugled for another year and had to go back to India.
2- Mexican family was also sponsored by a friend of the head of the Mexican family. At the end, the had moved to California to be near the lady's sister and the 19 year old daughter was denied high school because of her age and went to night school but had to drop because she had no car.
3- Palestinian female came after marrying her palestinian/american husband. Strugled a little but then were able to buy their house.
4- You forgot about the Nigerian engineer. They settled in chicago and strugled alot. At the end, he and his wife had steady jobs and well living confortable.
5- You had your story wrong about the dominican ball player. The story was not about him. They mentioned him because he was a friend/teammate of the 2 player that the documentary was about.
It was about a pitcher and left fielder coming up from the Dodger's baseball academy in SD. The both made it to the minor league. At the end, the one that was a womanizer and drinker, Jose Garcia, got married to an american girl and was cut by the Dodgers and his wife was going to start with the paperwork to bring him back to the US. The main character was the pitcher, Ricardo Rodriguez, he made it to the big leagues after being traded to the Cleveland Indians and was traded last year to another club. He was able to buy the house that he promised his mom.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
me, very sorry, you know?

Rattus_Rattus said:
You ruined the fun, i was planning to see this documentary..

Damn it.. Well where is the remote control, maybe there is some interesting on Operah W show.. :lick:
I am truly sorry. I was just trying to correct him. It's worth watching still. Very interesting.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would appear that the poster and the documentary was taking a left-handed dig at "American" society. If I am wrong, please forgive me my interpretation of the vein of thought.

It just goes to show you that not all who gain the coveted "Green Card" are a successful addition to the "American" society.

The fortunes of time and circumstance have, and always will, play an important part in the success or failure in one's life.

Some of us are just plain lucky!!

It took me 3 trys to finally accomplish my childhood dream af being selected for military aviation training. Maybe I succeeded because I'm just a stubborn SOB who will batter at the wall until it falls. Maybe that's what it takes. But, I don't deny that I was a very bitter young man after the second denial! Had I given up, I would have been a failure and that I couldn't accept.

I think it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to go up against the establishment in the USA and I greatly admire those who do so and succeed. Many don't succeed and fall by the wayside, as do many native borns, either from lack of education or understanding of human nature and it's foibles.

In my book, success in life is not measured by one's financial accomplishments, but rather, by one's completion of the goals set forth.

So, do we blame society for our lacks, or do we accept what we are and what we are able to accomplish in light of our abilities, denying the subtle undermining of our constitutions by a benevolent society who forgives us our faults prematurely.

It's an interesting question, is it not??

Texas Bill