Puerto Plata Discos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famebk

Mar 29, 2004
Anybody know of any discos or other night hot spots in or near Puerto Plata?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
It depends ...

do you want to be with the locals or the tourists?
If it is the tourist discos you are interested in (still plenty of Dominicans in these as well, but mostly resort workers), basically every resort has a disco in the Playa Dorado complex.
My favourite local hang out/disco is La Barrica but I am sure if you ask anyone at the hotel you are staying at, they will be sure to tell you about more.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Nightlife: check out ulises.de

Check out the website of Northcoast nightlife expert Ulises: www.ulises.de
He's got everything from tourist discos, dominican discos,local bars and rowdy dominican nightclubs. Both in german and english.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Local disco

Famebk said:
Anybody know of any discos or other night hot spots in or near Puerto Plata?

If you like to be with locals I can recommend Las Brisas del Camu in Montellano, between Puerto Plata and Sosua. We have spent many nights there and have had a great time. The music they are playing is mainly bachata and merengue. The best days to go there are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The locals really know how to party and have fun.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Discos in POP. Orion, La Barrica, La Canita, Ojilvis Carwash. I'm sure that along the malecon area there are some more. Las Brisas de Camu is outside of POP in between huge sugar cane fields. It all depends on what environment you are looking for. The one's I mentioned are the one's the locals go to. There is also Crazy Moon in the Playa Dorada Complex, but it's a bit more touristy.
Minni

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
My friend who works at the Playa Naco resort actually discouraged us to go outside playa dorado resort area. She mentioned that unless you travel with a Dominican, she wouldn't recommend it. Last year we went to La Barrica, it was good but very, very dark! This year we took her advice and just partied at Crazy Moon even though we stayed in Costambar and had a great time. Yes there are some tourists but many locals as well, the tourists were mostly at Hemmingways. Crazy Moon plays alot of merengue and bachata especially on the weekend.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
The dark is what makes Las Barricas good. Do you really want to see what's happening in that corner!! LOL!!!

Aww come on, be brave and you will have more fun. Most of the people in resorts try and steer you away from leaving because you will spend your money outside their domaine. Lots of tourists get there and have lots of fun. Crazy Moon is full of tourists and sankies and not much else.

Just like the thread about walking along the beaches, booking tours from outside, going to restaurants outside, like the ones past the AI beach areas.......all well worth it.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I was in POP last year and I went to La Barricas and the music was great but yes it was very dark. It felt weird because I've never been to a club where I couldn't see my hand infront of me lol but the music was great and I danced a lot.
Crazymoon is full of tourists and they didn't play a lot of Merengue and Bachata. I was told by the owner that they catered to the Tourists which was no fun for me. I could of stayed home to hear English music I wanted Merengue and Bachata!
I was also told by people on the resort not to go outside the resort to any clubs, one guy even tried to scare us into not going to La Barricas but we went and nothing happened of course.
I say venture out of the resort just be careful like you should be in any country you are in.
I'm heading to POP real soon can't wait!!!

helen gettings

May 17, 2004
Discos in North

Get yourself down to Barricas. I've been going there for 8 years and you're guaranteed a great time any night of the week. Who cares about the dark- nightclubs should be dark. The music's great, the people are friendly, the prices are cheap and you can dance all night if you want. I've never had a negative experience there. The staff in Playa Dorada just want your lovely tourist dosh. Why not spend it in a real Dominican place where Dominicans will benefit?

Helen (Inglaterra)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Diana said:
My friend who works at the Playa Naco resort actually discouraged us to go outside playa dorado resort area. She mentioned that unless you travel with a Dominican, she wouldn't recommend it. Last year we went to La Barrica, it was good but very, very dark! This year we took her advice and just partied at Crazy Moon even though we stayed in Costambar and had a great time. Yes there are some tourists but many locals as well, the tourists were mostly at Hemmingways. Crazy Moon plays alot of merengue and bachata especially on the weekend.
Sorry but that friend isn't a friend to you at all. I would go anywhere on the North Coast any time of day or night and not have a worry. I think she just did you a disservice by telling you that BS.

Scott

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Is Puerto Plata worth the night life?

Im staying in Cabarete - is Puerto Plata worth the trip to get to know the nightlive or should I just stay in Cabarete and go to Sosua probably? I like to listen and dance to Salsa, Bachata and Merengue...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
Check out the website of Northcoast nightlife expert Ulises: www.ulises.de
He's got everything from tourist discos, dominican discos,local bars and rowdy dominican nightclubs. Both in german and english.
Yeah check out this site if you want to spend money getting pics of some nakid gals. Jesus you get that for free in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.