Phone Cards

bankbwoy

Mar 12, 2004
Is it good for me to buy a phone card here in the U.S. or should I wait til I get to D.R. to buy one. I heard that the 1-800 numbers are long distance numbers in D.R. Is that true? If there is a good card I can buy off the net please let me know.

thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Phone cards

bankbwoy said:
Is it good for me to buy a phone card here in the U.S. or should I wait til I get to D.R. to buy one. I heard that the 1-800 numbers are long distance numbers in D.R. Is that true? If there is a good card I can buy off the net please let me know.

thanks

You can buy phone cards all over the place here and it may make more sense.
Are you staying in someone's private house when you get here?
Otherwise, you would do better to just use one of the long distance cafes, assuming you are going to a tourist town where they are all over the place.
And yes, 1-800 numbers are long distance here.
You have to change the 800 to 880 and you are charged the same long distance rate as if you were calling a regular phone.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Local cell

If you plan to be in the DR for more than a week I suggest that you buy a used local cell phone 100 - 200 DOP. Their prepaid system is great and it will save you money in the long run. Any local can show you how to re-charge your purchased minutes.

bankbwoy said:

thanks